You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

-D- wrote:

Guns N Roses = instant fan base and 10 million dollar advance

Axl Rose= starting a new brand and u don't get 10 million cause u'd have to negotiate a new contract.

no band photos/promo for me is to dupe people who don't know into buying this thinking its GNR

-D-

-D- wrote:

Axl can do what he wants and I respect that but let's be honest.

if he were the CEO of a business, he would've been fired years ago. he always talks negatively about Slash 'TaKing" over the band

well,maybe that wouldn't have been such a horrible thing lookin back on it all.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

Axl Rose= starting a new brand and u don't get 10 million cause u'd have to negotiate a new contract.

no band photos/promo for me is to dupe people who don't know into buying this thinking its GNR

I don't think anyone's denying keeping the name opens a lot of doors for them.  But with all the good that comes out of it, there's plenty of bad that goes right on top of it all.

-D-

-D- wrote:

oh yeah absolutely
i agree with james and a lot of others on here though that if they could've kept the 02 lineup together and been active and consistent. that lineup had a great shot at succeeding.

I can't really get into any of the new guys, cause u have no clue how long they will be in the band.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

This is the part I think he miscalculated the most.  I actually can defend him very easily on keeping the name since it clearly has emotional meaning for him.  He (and the rest of the band) rose from nothing to become a mega rock star in a short time. 

The part he didn't understand was that Guns N Roses to the public was not just Axl or Slash but it was a sum of the entire parts.  The other guys had just as big a role as he did in building up Guns N Roses.  Those other guys did the fan interaction stuff that Axl didn't feel like doing.  It will be easier for him in the long run not to have the burden of shouldering the responsibility of carrying the GNR name.  Although maybe that's what he wanted in the end.  Who knows?

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
faldor wrote:

Unfortunately, looking back on everything, Axl probably would've been better off ending GNR and going by a different name for the band.  Because with that brand name came loads of expectations, pressure, etc.  But he thought he was doing the right thing at the time and he's too proud to change any of that now.

People like to say how Axl kept the name so he could draw fans simply by the brand name.  Well, even if that's true, I think a lot more negatives went into keeping the name that outweigh the positives.  But again, Axl had this vision of what GNR should be, I believe from the very beginning.  Obviously I don't think it's gone quite as he would've imagined or hoped (at least the last 10 years or so), but I don't see him throwing in the towel and starting up The Axl Rose Project at this point.

He's had to rebuild the band 3 or 4 times over the last 6 years, and that has to be draining.  I'm sure he didn't plan on that or hope for it, but it happened.  They seem to have some solid guys in the fold right now, I just hope they can stick around for awhile and become a cohesive unit.

I disagree. I think the positives outweigh the negatives simply because he has an instant built in fan base. He'd be lucky to have half the fans he has today if there was a 15 year wait for the Axl Rose Project.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

All of the shit that Axl says about it's "very complex" and I needed to do this, to do that, blah blah blah, is such bullshit. There's one thing out of ALL of this that is clear and precise, and in black and white. Axl kept GN'R going with a different lineup, to suffice his own goddamn ego. Plain and simple. That was his little passive-aggressive way to rebuild the band, go out, hit major success, and shove it in their little faces. Too bad he was Using His Disillusion. On his best day it was a pipe dream.

I know it's been said before, but i'm gonna say it again for argument's sake. His best chance was that 2002 lineup. I say '02, because Paul was never going to tour, and Fortus was brought in, and I kind of look at that band as the "new era" and the "we mean business" new GN'R. It was fresh, it was different from what was out there, guys like Bucket brought a different sound to the whole process, combined with Axl's ability at orchestration, lyrics & vocals, was a powerhouse that was never meant to be, because of the curse of his own perfectionism and egotism. As a matter of fact, to this very day, my dick gets hard at the thought of THAT band continuing on as GN'R. Not to be sick or anything, but it's the truth. I'm not a reunionite, or some guy begging for them to fail. I was on board for THAT Guns N' Roses resurrection. 2006 seemed too much like a "watered down Guns" done in the present, at that time to me. The band was great, but it wasn't the old band, and wasn't even the 2002 band. And I think that was the fault. Had that 2006 band come out, and made 2002 look foolish, it would've been different. CD also should've been released no later than 2003, and even then I think that was pushing it, as even in 2003, the material was dated, IF the album's tracklist was similar at that time, I dunno.

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:

People are really overstating the publics craving for a GNR reunion.  Would people go see it?  No doubt, but the number of people sitting on their hands clamoring for a GNR reunion is about the same as those that waited all these years to hear Chinese Democracy.

If you're talking about the people actively waiting for a reunion, you're right.  The difference is that if it actually happens, the interest will exceed the interest in CD by the media and the general public.  Maybe they aren't waiting for it, but everyone would know when it happened.

That I understand, but Axlin's comments about how CD only enhanced the demand for a reunion are what don't make sense to me.  Just because people don't like CD doesn't mean they want a reunion, the 2 have nothing to do with each other.  People who wanted a reunion before, still want one.  People who could care less, could still care less.  I don't see what CD has to do with the wants and needs for a reunion.

No, CD's botched delivery, substandard product (to the casuals, not the diehards), and the lack of promotion as far as slamming this band into the faces of people, drove away more new era fans.

And that's the key difference. There's alot of people who were on the "Robin is GN'R" bandwagon, that are now "GN'R died in 1993" bandwagon.

That rollout cost them some diehards as well as smacking the final nail in the coffin of casual rock fans. And at this point, they aren't gaining new fans. Thus my theory that CD's release actually enhanced demand for the reunion.

I think alot of people have reached a point where it's "reunite or fuck off". Which I don't see a big problem with. No one is stopping Axl from a solo career.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

An Axl solo album = The same guys, bitching about the same shit, constantly giving conspiracy theories as to why everything leads to a reunion. The GNR name would just be one less bitching point for you guys. Other than that....

-D-

-D- wrote:

I always thought having 3 guitar players gave a bad perception to be honest. U knew the media would run with the "it takes 3 to replace Slash" tag line.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

What media has said that?

I hate to say it, because it would be pretty lame, but CD would have sold much better if it was a Wal-Mart exclusive. They can push the shit out of a product. Wal-Mart's are in every city. The foot traffic is huge. Along with their music and DVD sales. I'm convinced sales would be closer to 750,000 right now.

Board footer