You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

-D- wrote:

Hell, TBH I thought Axl was the weak link of the band in 02.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

Hell, TBH I thought Axl was the weak link of the band in 02.

Dare I say Axl has been the weak link in the band for over a decade now. I'm not joking.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

He sounded great on the new material back then and UYI stuff, but the clean, high voice really didnt suit the Appetite songs. Much prefered his delivery of The Blues and Madagascar then, made me love those songs. November Rain, LALD sounded great as well.
Robin was fucking up left right and centre back then, I dont remember him hitting bum notes at RIR3 or the Vegas show but 2002 he was horrible. He was much improved in 2006, but still sloppy at times.

The 2002 was pretty fucking great in my book, Axl, Buckethead, Tommy and Brain all had the talent needed to win me over and replace the legendary Guns N'Roses I grew up with.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Axl was better in 06...better voice..better image.
Robin too...better image...better performance.

The rest was the same as 02.

It was Bucket that made the difference. His guitar playing overshadowed anything. I prefer 2002 as well, but not all aspects of it. A lot of stuff was improved in 06...but the main part was gone. So in all I think it came out the same...the main deal was gone but the rest had improved.

But still...song-wise (except Axl's voice) it was better in 2002...all because of what Bucket added.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
DCK wrote:

Axl was better in 06...better voice..better image.
Robin too...better image...better performance.

The rest was the same as 02.

I'd say the whole band sounded tighter and more like a unit in 2006.

DCK wrote:

It was Bucket that made the difference. His guitar playing overshadowed anything. I prefer 2002 as well, but not all aspects of it. A lot of stuff was improved in 06...but the main part was gone.

It's a strange thing. Buckethead was the only one who gathered interest in 2002. He was awesome and he still is. But the band wasn't together, some songs fell apart here and there... The band sound was a mess in 2002. Even without the magnificent BH of 2002, I prefer the 2006 shows.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The band was great, but it wasn't the old band, and wasn't even the 2002 band. And I think that was the fault. Had that 2006 band come out, and made 2002 look foolish, it would've been different.

The 02 band wrote the songs and i'll give credit to that....but generally the live peformances are preferable to 2002.

Both Axl and Robin's peformances were noticibly stronger in 2006 than in 2002.

Agree and disagree. Axl vocally was stronger in 2006, I agree. But "the band", Robin included, were much stronger and tighter in 2002 imo. Even the little things. Robin sounded better, Bucket is the most talented guitarist they've ever had, Richard, Tommy & Brain seemed more enthused imo.

2006 in hind sight seemed like a paycheck.

Acquiesce wrote:
misterID wrote:

An Axl solo album = The same guys, bitching about the same shit, constantly giving conspiracy theories as to why everything leads to a reunion. The GNR name would just be one less bitching point for you guys. Other than that....

Nah, most people wouldn't give 2 shits about an Axl solo let alone be interested enough to follow through 15 years of this debacle.

Agreed. The only people that would actively follow an Axl solo album, would be the hardest of hardcore Axlites, the people that follow Jarmo like he's a Bishop of GN'R, etc. They'd be very small, and very non-vocal.

I can't believe misterID just so callously throws the idea of a solo career to the wayside. Axl would lose ALOT of the baggage in his musical career going that route. Getting away from that GN'R thing would lift alot of burden off him.

The ball would then be put in his court. But he's not going to want to do that. It won't be easy for him. He'd actually have to actively work for his career, tour in small venues, open for other acts, do interviews all over the place, and try to NOT live off the GN'R name. I don't think he's willing to do that. He's too weak.

I was talking about you guys 16

I thought the Band sounded tight as fuck in 2002. Axl was the weak link. 2002 is when we got the best performances of Madagascar and The Blues. Not to mention Nightrain.

The only thing that got better in '06 was Axl.

And D, no one is giving them a pass. The truth is it was a good decision to go with BB to pay off the debt, but a bad decision in pushing the product. If it were Wal-Mart they would have taken a much more aggressive position with the album and not only would the Better video probably be out but a delux addition of CD as well. That's not to bash BB, they just don't have the means to do what WM can, nor do they have the push or marketing ability.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

that rock in rio3 dvd show be destroyed that was horrible just listen to you could be mine they completly fuck the start up people who say buckethead is better then slash have no idea he can play fast wow it all sounds the same and finch just listen to him play hes not clean at all it a real let down for what guns n roses was

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

2006 was a lot better they sound better and look alot better too they would want to after 10 years of playing together

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The band was great, but it wasn't the old band, and wasn't even the 2002 band. And I think that was the fault. Had that 2006 band come out, and made 2002 look foolish, it would've been different.

The 02 band wrote the songs and i'll give credit to that....but generally the live peformances are preferable to 2002.

Both Axl and Robin's peformances were noticibly stronger in 2006 than in 2002.

Agree and disagree. Axl vocally was stronger in 2006, I agree. But "the band", Robin included, were much stronger and tighter in 2002 imo. Even the little things. Robin sounded better, Bucket is the most talented guitarist they've ever had, Richard, Tommy & Brain seemed more enthused imo.

2006 in hind sight seemed like a paycheck.

Acquiesce wrote:

Nah, most people wouldn't give 2 shits about an Axl solo let alone be interested enough to follow through 15 years of this debacle.

Agreed. The only people that would actively follow an Axl solo album, would be the hardest of hardcore Axlites, the people that follow Jarmo like he's a Bishop of GN'R, etc. They'd be very small, and very non-vocal.

I can't believe misterID just so callously throws the idea of a solo career to the wayside. Axl would lose ALOT of the baggage in his musical career going that route. Getting away from that GN'R thing would lift alot of burden off him.

The ball would then be put in his court. But he's not going to want to do that. It won't be easy for him. He'd actually have to actively work for his career, tour in small venues, open for other acts, do interviews all over the place, and try to NOT live off the GN'R name. I don't think he's willing to do that. He's too weak.

I was talking about you guys 16

I thought the Band sounded tight as fuck in 2002. Axl was the weak link. 2002 is when we got the best performances of Madagascar and The Blues. Not to mention Nightrain.

The only thing that got better in '06 was Axl.

And D, no one is giving them a pass. The truth is it was a good decision to go with BB to pay off the debt, but a bad decision in pushing the product. If it were Wal-Mart they would have taken a much more aggressive position with the album and not only would the Better video probably be out but a delux addition of CD as well. That's not to bash BB, they just don't have the means to do what WM can, nor do they have the push or marketing ability.

I know you were talking about us, and I think I can speak for Buzz in that he wouldn't follow it, and neither would I. At least actively.

I would treat an Axl album no different than Loaded. When it comes out i'd listen to it, but I wouldn't follow it actively. I didn't do it with Bucket or Izzy or Slash's newest project. For me it's all about Guns N' Roses, new or old, and if they aren't active, there's not much to talk about other than the current clusterfuck or the past.

I've already broke away from CD. Great album, but you don't want to overdo it 'til it's repetitive.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I will say this again

I do Love Buckethead but he is NO SLASH

Can he play faster than Slash? YES

Does playing fast mean anything int he grand scheme of riff writing/solo writing etc? Absolutely NOT

For people who even try to make this ridiculous argument, are u gonna tell me Shackler's Riff is anywhere near the ten best Slash riffs? It isn't even better than most of VR riffs.

so please, let's stop all that bullshit now with he being "Better"

The fastest player who can jump the highest in the NBA isn't the "BEST" player.
The fastest runner in Football isn't the greratest etc etc
there are so many intangible ingredients that are extremely overlooked.

Board footer