You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

war wrote:

in axl's case i don't think that would be a good idea

he got rid of an album full of leaks and sold close to 2 million of them before they hit the shelves

a re-release/double album, to co-inside with the tour, might be a good idea

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I was walking through a record store Sunday, and decided to just look. Alice In Chains' "Jar of Flies"... an EP... $14.99. An 8-track EP for $15 bucks. And old on top of that. And they want to know why illegal internet download took the music industry put two bullets in the back of it's head, and threw it in a ditch.

Best Buy should have a promotion "New Albums $10, Old Albums $5". Them & the labels would see cd's going off the shelves. If they were well stocked, I'd prob buy a few older albums I always wanted to get.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
madagas wrote:

I don't think there was a timeframe....just fan made gossip as usual. Is there a timeframe on the Pearl Jam album or AC/DC album?...not that I know of.

I agree it's all gossip, but I would expect they made some kind of timeline for the exclusivity deal.

Imagine if this album had gone massive and become a modern classic kind of like AFD. They wouldn't want to be reprinting the album in 25 years and only be aloud to sell it at best buy still.

While that never happened of course, the lawyers would be considering all those kinds of crazy situations. So i'd expect this deal has some kind of timeline to it - it might be a really long timeline like 15 years or something - but I doubt it would be forever. Could be wrong though.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

While that never happened of course, the lawyers would be considering all those kinds of crazy situations. So i'd expect this deal has some kind of timeline to it - it might be a really long timeline like 15 years or something - but I doubt it would be forever. Could be wrong though.

I agree, there's always a CYA clause in a contract. I'd guess something like 3-5 years or a certified # of like 5 or 10 million.

I bet ACDC & PJ have something similar, it's probably years, myb 3-5 but someday I would think all stores will have access to it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

BB is probably still waiting for that Better video.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

On a side track...I wonder why that video never came about? Like what the actual reason would have been? Surely they had at least some form of it planned or edited together....

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Though I doubt we'll ever really know, rumors suggest that it is in Axl's ass, along with Slash.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

hahah...great accoustics in there i'm told.

That's kind of what I mean though. Like things change so much in GNR world that we arn't really suprised when something is announced and then never happens.

But sometimes I'm left wondering what the actual reasons were in specific cases. Like this one - they'd have all the proshot footage already - was it just they didn't want too much footage of robin in the video when he was gone? Or maybe they were looking at some studio footage to go with it - and they got into a fight over who pays for that ? Could be anything I guess....it's just kind of wierd...normal in a way...but still....

Sky Dog wrote:

Skippy, clever...well not really, but I would imagine Axl "canned" the Better video for whatever reason seemed rational to his irrational mind at the time. In other words, who the fuck knows????? 17

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I was walking through a record store Sunday, and decided to just look. Alice In Chains' "Jar of Flies"... an EP... $14.99. An 8-track EP for $15 bucks. And old on top of that. And they want to know why illegal internet download took the music industry put two bullets in the back of it's head, and threw it in a ditch.

Best Buy should have a promotion "New Albums $10, Old Albums $5". Them & the labels would see cd's going off the shelves. If they were well stocked, I'd prob buy a few older albums I always wanted to get.

Agreed. Movies do it ALL the time. Why not music?

Because the movie industry "gets it". That's why they are still booming, as the music industry, is still brainless, trying to find another vein.

Board footer