You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

monkeychow wrote:

I think that's it - it all comes down to what you compare with and what you expect .

For example - I read alot on here a while back about about how GNR can't fill venues.

But in my town GNR filled a 15,000 seat venue for two nights in a row, with no album at the time and limited promo.

Meanwhile Megadeth and Slayer are co-headlining a show at a 5000 seat venue which is sold out.

That tour is viewed as successful. It's all about expectations.

Meanwhile Marlyn Manson is playing the same 5000 venue and I just recieved a 2 for 1 ticket offer in my email...so i guess it isn't filling.

Anyway I love Megadeth as well, so i'm not knocking them, I'm just saying - it's a band that considered sucessful and workable - and GNR sold 6 times as many tickets but people would say they're not a workable band.

For me I don't need it to be UYI era anymore - despite being massive a fan of that era and everyone invovled. But I enjoy the new music, and I'd like to see the new line up belt out these songs, and I think if more people had an open mind others would like it too.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

The expectations come with the name.  Axl could have easily left all the expectations behind and chose not to.  Now he has to live with the concequences of that.  People expect Guns N' Roses to sound like Guns N' Roses.  If you really think about it, it's not all that unreasonable of an expectation to have.  You don't have to expect it to be UYI era anymore, but the general public expects it to at least be close.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

People expect Guns N' Roses to sound like Guns N' Roses.  If you really think about it, it's not all that unreasonable of an expectation to have.  You don't have to expect it to be UYI era anymore, but the general public expects it to at least be close.

Yeah I'd agree with that...and it's one reason I'm looking forward to Ashba....i think his style will prob be closer to the AFD, UYI era sound than Robin's.

But overall I guess I don't see the new band as sounding wildly different. Some songs are a little crazy like Rhiad and Shackler....but stuff like Catcher and Twat is pretty reminisant of the UYI era balads to me.

Especially when you consider that the old band had a variety of styles going on anyway.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah I don't get how the band sounds that different either.  To me, Shackler's and If the World sounded much different when I initially heard them.  I guess Riad too.  But aside from that, the rest of the songs fit in with the discography.

And the GNR/PJ comparison isn't crazy, at least not for me.  Pearl Jam was far and away my 2nd favorite band when they hit the scene.  They were damn near close to overtaking GNR when they were entering their silent years.  Pearl Jam put out 3 great albums out of the gate.  And within the span of 4 years, no less.  Their 4th album was solid too, just not quite as good.  I stuck with them through Binaural (album 6) but by then I was only liking a handful of songs at best on each release.  Let's just say I felt the quality was quickly diminishing.  It was almost like they were releasing too much music too quickly, which is a strange concept with how things are run in GNR.

I saw them live last summer for the first time and they put on an awesome show.  Reminded me why I used to hold them in such high regard.  So to me they're nowhere close to overrated and deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Guns.  To each his own though.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

First week sales were made 15 years ago for the most part.  Add to that the fact that PJ hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire with their last few releases and I don't think it means anything.  It's apples to oranges (like most things when compared to GnR).

Jarmo's doing what he always does - taking things out of context to make excuses for the band's failures.  He's in such a hurry to defend them on something that there is no defense for.  GnR had a guarantee of 200k in sales from internet idiots and sold nothing after the initial rush.  You can't compare their first week sales to anyone else's fairly, but you can over time.  Let's wait and compare the sales after a couple months to get a better feel for one compared against the other.

Quoted for truth. GN'R, the brand name alone in inactivity, still means more than an active boring Pearl Jam. I like Snow, was once a big fan back in their heyday, but now it's like... bug off.

If you, as a forum admin, or anyone for that matter, not singleling him out... have to do damage control on the perception of the band from the very week of release....

That means somethin' fucked up BAD. They still can't wrap their mind around that, because they still have the Rose-colored shades on. It's a beautiful thing, I used to wear them too, but eventually you come back to Earth.

Axl's a worthless excuse for a fan-friendly guy. And if he didn't want the baggage, he shouldn't have toured his solo band as Guns N' Roses. It sounds cliched and petty at this point, but that's just the facts.

And the excuse of "some band would kill for those numbers", I wholeheartedly agree, but most bands aren't Guns N' Roses, nor do they have that sort of legacy, especially after only three studio LP's of original material.

It's a worthless argument. Hell, there's some artists playing Atlantic City that wished they could do David Hasselhoff numbers. It means nothing.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i agree but i also recognize the "baggage" that came along with axl keeping the gnr name, as well, like all of the people that protested him doing so and didn't buy the album for that same reason.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If you think GNR is as big or bigger than PJ then you're not really facing the truth. This isn't 1991. GNR hasn't been relevant since then. PJ has. The name only helps with the few, maybe 5-10 thousand people (and that's being very genrous), who actually give a shit enough to care about any incarnation of GNR in the States to buy the album just for the name or Axl. Recognizing a name and being a fan are two different things. No Linkin Park or Fergie fans were buying this album out of curiosity.  And like war said, the people following this fiasco who actually care about Axl using the name didn't buy the album in the first place, as Buzz and Bono are examples.

Maybe, just maybe, the majority of people who bought the album actually liked the songs they heard, which made them buy the album. But of course that would mean Axl actually accomplished something...

The only people who care about legacy are you guys.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The brand name's legacy rests on ONE group of guys, and it's nobody from the CD-era.

How 'bout this...

We release GUITAR HERO: Guns N' Roses & GUITAR HERO: Pearl Jam

Let's see which one sells better. I'm betting the farm on GN'R...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The brand name's legacy rests on ONE group of guys, and it's nobody from the CD-era.

How 'bout this...

We release GUITAR HERO: Guns N' Roses & GUITAR HERO: Pearl Jam

Let's see which one sells better. I'm betting the farm on GN'R...

Since Slash is Mr. Guitar Hero you might be right.  It'd be more fair to use Rock Band in the scenario.  16

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
misterID wrote:

If you think GNR is as big or bigger than PJ then you're not really facing the truth. This isn't 1991. GNR hasn't been relevant since then. PJ has. The name only helps with the few, maybe 5-10 thousand people (and that's being very genrous), who actually give a shit enough to care about any incarnation of GNR in the States to buy the album just for the name or Axl. Recognizing a name and being a fan are two different things. No Linkin Park or Fergie fans were buying this album out of curiosity.  And like war said, the people following this fiasco who actually care about Axl using the name didn't buy the album in the first place, as Buzz and Bono are examples.

Maybe, just maybe, the majority of people who bought the album actually liked the songs they heard, which made them buy the album. But of course that would mean Axl actually accomplished something...

The only people who care about legacy are you guys.

you're right it's not '91 - that's when pearl jam's debut ten came out and they were making a name. It was a steady decline after that. gnr, on the contrary, imploded from sever success spanning three albums and several world tours. pearl jam was a fad that died out - gnr was one of the greatest bands of all time and they have three albums worth of material that will played steadily on the radio for the rest of our days. if you think you can say the same of pearl jam, i respect your opinion but you're wrong.

Board footer