You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

misterID wrote:

PearlJam wasn't a fad. And there was no "steady decline." They decided, as a band, to retreat out of the mainstream, not make videos, or release commercial singles after 1993 and they still sold a shitload of albums and held very, very successful tours...  That doesn't consist of half empty venues.

I still hear music from PJ on MODERN radio and not just from one of their albums. I can't say the same for GNR. Sorry, but trying to diminish a band who has been successful critically and finacially after deliberately walking away from the mainstream a decade after GNR became irrelevant is lame and not true.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:

songs from ten vs and vitalogy get air play, aside from last kiss, PJ havent had a "hit" album since 94.

misterID

misterID wrote:

That's not true. No Code was one of their best albums! And not counting their live albums that went platinum, the last "hit" record that sold over a million in the US was Yield in 1998. Binaural (2000) sold 718,000 and was #2 on the charts.

Riot Act was their worst at 500,000. Their last album sold over 700,000 in the US (2006) and charted at #2.  Backspacer (2009) charted #1.

Those are not failures.

misterID

misterID wrote:

And for the record, no band who had exclusive release with Target, like most other retailers that aren't Wal-Mart, haven't sold great. Even Christina Aguilera.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The brand name's legacy rests on ONE group of guys, and it's nobody from the CD-era.

How 'bout this...

We release GUITAR HERO: Guns N' Roses & GUITAR HERO: Pearl Jam

Let's see which one sells better. I'm betting the farm on GN'R...

Since Slash is Mr. Guitar Hero you might be right.  It'd be more fair to use Rock Band in the scenario.  16

I was referring to the brand name. New Guns isn't, nor will they ever be in that equation.

When you sell "Guns N' Roses", you're selling that old image. Then, now, and always.

misterID wrote:

PearlJam wasn't a fad. And there was no "steady decline." They decided, as a band, to retreat out of the mainstream, not make videos, or release commercial singles after 1993 and they still sold a shitload of albums and held very, very successful tours...  That doesn't consist of half empty venues.

I still hear music from PJ on MODERN radio and not just from one of their albums. I can't say the same for GNR. Sorry, but trying to diminish a band who has been successful critically and finacially after deliberately walking away from the mainstream a decade after GNR became irrelevant is lame and not true.

I hear Guns N' Roses on MODERN radio almost every day. I hear Jungle, Mr. B, Sweet Child, Paradise City, Patience, Used To Love Her, Live and Let Die, Don't Cry, November Rain, Knockin' On Heaven's Door & You Could Be Mine played right alongside new Pearl Jam, AIC, Shinedown, Cornell, Nickleback, etc.

If GN'R went the way of original Skynyrd and went out in a plane crash... they'd still be bigger today than an active Pearl Jam.

The brand name alone is bigger than Pearl Jam in 1991.

Axl just actively MISUSES it with a pseudo-band.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

Agreed, Pearl Jam is getting a bad rap from some people.  They're a pretty popular and pretty successful band.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The brand name's legacy rests on ONE group of guys, and it's nobody from the CD-era.

How 'bout this...

We release GUITAR HERO: Guns N' Roses & GUITAR HERO: Pearl Jam

Let's see which one sells better. I'm betting the farm on GN'R...

Since Slash is Mr. Guitar Hero you might be right.  It'd be more fair to use Rock Band in the scenario.  16

I was referring to the brand name. New Guns isn't, nor will they ever be in that equation.

When you sell "Guns N' Roses", you're selling that old image. Then, now, and always.

misterID wrote:

I hear Guns N' Roses on MODERN radio almost every day. I hear Jungle, Mr. B, Sweet Child, Paradise City, Patience, Used To Love Her, Live and Let Die, Don't Cry, November Rain, Knockin' On Heaven's Door & You Could Be Mine played right alongside new Pearl Jam, AIC, Shinedown, Cornell, Nickleback, etc.

If GN'R went the way of original Skynyrd and went out in a plane crash... they'd still be bigger today than an active Pearl Jam.

The brand name alone is bigger than Pearl Jam in 1991.

Axl just actively MISUSES it with a pseudo-band.

??? In 1991 GNR was bigger than Pearl Jam, I'll give you that. Not today. And it has nothing to do with how Axl uses the GNR name.

"If GN'R went the way of original Skynyrd and went out in a plane crash... they'd still be bigger today than an active Pearl Jam."

16 What? There are plenty of varibles that coulda, shoulda, woulda made GNR bigger than Pearl Jam today. And *insert any number of bands here* to fit that scenerio too.

And you must have a nice modern rock radio station. Of all the cities I've lived in only one, 101.1 in Orlando, played GNR regularly, and they quit playing them in 02.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

WJRR101 is actually the one I listen to.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Haha!

When the hell did they start playing GNR again?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

WJRR101 is actually the one I listen to.

Well there you have it.  Not to make this a competition by numbers but I just counted 16 Pearl Jam songs from their first 3 albums that you could hear on any given day on most "modern rock" radio stations.  Now I'll openly admit, post 1994 there's not a whole lot that you'd hear.  But they had a pretty good run in the mainstream and like misterID mentioned, they shyed away from that and still remained popular although moreso with their hardcore fans. 

No Code was a solid album, but I can't say I've heard any of those songs on the radio in recent years.  "Smile" has always been one of my favorites of theirs and I got to see them play it live last summer (my only Pearl Jam concert to date).  A highlight for me.

And gosh darnit, here it is.  They were fantastic live by the way.  One of the few bands that sounded almost exactly the way they do on their albums.

Board footer