You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Haha!

When the hell did they start playing GNR again?

Ironically after CD.

CD & Better dropped last year, got one week of play, and they got a BUNCH of calls to stop playing that, and play REAL Guns N' Roses.

Ever since you can hear Guns quite a bit on there. Lmao, CD actually boosted interest in revisiting the back catalog.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

That's one of the reasons I stopped listening to that fucking station. A bunch of asshats complaining about them playing Black Sabbath, Zeppelin and Hendrix and demanding Eminem. The audiance took a huge wrong turn back in 02. 4

I reall enjoyed that Smile performance, faldor.:thumbup:

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, they don't play any classic rock anymore. In fact, I would say GN'R, Metallica & Megadeth are about as old as it gets.

Heard Garden of Eden on there the other day... thought that was quite an obscure track for airplay.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
misterID wrote:

PearlJam wasn't a fad. And there was no "steady decline." They decided, as a band, to retreat out of the mainstream, not make videos, or release commercial singles after 1993 and they still sold a shitload of albums and held very, very successful tours...  That doesn't consist of half empty venues.

I still hear music from PJ on MODERN radio and not just from one of their albums. I can't say the same for GNR. Sorry, but trying to diminish a band who has been successful critically and finacially after deliberately walking away from the mainstream a decade after GNR became irrelevant is lame and not true.

yes, they were a part of the seattle sound/fad that died after a short run (by those days' standards), lasting as long as it did with the help of other bands in that same movement.

your "deliberately walking away from the mainstream" slogan is a desperate point and here's why:

their popularity and sales began to decline with their second album, progressivley

that comment was made much later to a fan base they knew would embrace it as "cool"

and even if they were being honest, 99.99 percent of bands don't get to that stature and a small precentage of the ones that do are able to maintain it for very long after, even if they try to.   

so that's like ray finkle saying he didn't want another super bowl win AFTER missing the "kick heard round the world"

it's an irrelevant comment

as far as radio relevance....i guess the one or two of you that has heard pj on modern radio in the last couple years makes your statement true but i'm comparing original gnr and pj here. no one is claiming pj or their music doesn't exist any more so, unless you are claiming pj is played on the radio more often than gnr, feel free to concede that particular argument at any time.

if you are,  10

and if you think original gnr has ever played to half full arenas 10

for the record, radio play does not define the quality of a band or it's music

IMO

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Pearl Jam stopped making videos after "Jeremy", so it's not like they tried again with their follow up album and it didn't work out so well so they decided to stop making videos.  They made that decision at the height of their fame.

Again, you're just not giving them enough credit.  I'm not claiming that they're as big or bigger than GNR.  But they're way bigger and better than you're giving them credit for.  A band doesn't just survive and stay in the spotlight for 20 years if there's not something there.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Pearl Jam and GNR were both highly successful bands.

I think GNR back in the UYI era achieved a level of domination, crossover, and exposure in pop culture that was more extreme than PJ but the later wasn't insignificant.

Bottom line: I think pretty much everyone, even non music fans, knows the name "Axl Rose" and/ or "Guns N Roses" and I think many many people would have heard of Pearl Jam in a similar fashion - although the number would be less.

So to be honest I don't think it's too bad of a comparision. GNR was a more famous band I think, but it's also been silent for a much longer time and notourious for the wrong reasons. PJ was a less successful band originally, but still a massive sucessess and a serious industy player.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Here it is: GNR was one of the biggest bands in the world from 88-93. Whatever that means, have at it. I'm not arguing that. After 93, that ended.

Unlike GNR, Pearl Jam kept making music after their mega successful debut...

You're comparing a band who was huge for 5-6 years, to a band that has been huge for 17 years and counting. The logic that a band that was dormant for 8 to 15 years (depending if you want to count 2001 Vegas show or 2008 release of CD) is bigger than a band that has sold more albums, had more tours, gained more fans through consistently releasing music, is laughable.

And Pearl Jam never tried to be the biggest band in the world. GNR did. They took 2 totally different paths.

And the "grunge" era faded when Kurt died/Nirvana ended, Sound Garden ended and AIC ended by 95... All around the same time. That's why the scene ended. Pearl Jam kept going and thrived.

Pearl Jam didn't make a video for their second album, so saying they stopped being mainstream after they were unsuccessful is being very, very disengenuous. And they continued selling platinum albums in the US up until 1998.  Their "decline" happened when they started selling 700,000 albums, with the exception of one, instead of a million. Yeah... That's a big decline.

misterID

misterID wrote:

TEN was one of the biggest selling albums of all time. How can you say they weren't as successful?

And they were the ones who put flannel shirts on everyone!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm saying at the height of each band's popularity I think GNR was even more of a dominating band.

When GNR came here in 1993 all hell broke loose. It was news on all the TV stations. They didn't play at our arenas because we didn't have one big enough, they played at a converted racecourse.

Theres very few bands that have ever made that kind of impact around here. There have been other massive bands, but in 1993 you could ask a blind homeless 80yo what she thought of Axl and she'd have an opinion and know what you are talking about.

But all that said, Pearl Jam has always been a huge act too, and Mister ID makes a valid point that they've been out there doing their thing for years on end while GNR has been silent for extended periods.

This many years on from that madness, I feel Pearl Jam and GNR are reasonable to compare. If anything you'd expect Pearl Jam to do better as its core fanbase would be a bit younger and it's been far more active, and we know there's division in the fans of GNR (new band, no tours etc).

So if the CD numbers continue to stack up well against a PJ offering after a reasonable period of time, I'd say it would be a good result for GNR.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Pearl Jam has been big for 17 years?

What crack are you smoking? Nobody has given a shit about that band since 1995, same with AIC, Nirvana, Soundgarden... all those grunge bands. When the genre died they did. Pearl Jam did not thrive post-95. Ever since they've been a nostalgia act, no different than new Guns.

I may call out GN'R every so often, but let's not start shitting on GN'R and praising all of these other acts that are NO different than GN'R, even GN'R on a higher plane because of their legacy.

Only difference between a Guns & PJ is that PJ actually gives a shit about their fans.

Board footer