You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

mickronson wrote:

This is the first Ive heard of them since the hay day...Not that I gave a shit about them back them either... I thought they were a 1 maybe 2 trick pony...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I didn't mean they were just as big the whole time, but I think they were active right? Like new albums every 3-4 years. Not like they took a GNR style leave of absence from the game.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Monkey I was referring more to misterID's post.

As for Russ... dude come on. If Pearl Jam has been "big" all these years, than so was Tim "Ripper" Owens-led Judas Priest. roll

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

opps...my bad big_smile

I'm an attention whore, it's all about me 16:haha:

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Monkey I was referring more to misterID's post.

As for Russ... dude come on. If Pearl Jam has been "big" all these years, than so was Tim "Ripper" Owens-led Judas Priest. roll

I know that's just a joke but seriously the disrespect for Pearl Jam is astounding.  They've stayed relevant and sucessful throughout their career.  They've put out 9 albums in 18 years and still tour to some pretty hefty crowds.  They're not exactly washed up as some people are painting them out to be.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

They are not washed up.

This argument is about ONE thing. And not so much in reference to you faldor, because you admitted the following post, earlier in the thread.

Pearl Jam is not more "relevant" than new Guns, and vice versa. I saw some people jumping on new Guns, and referring to Pearl Jam as a shining example.

Pearl Jam is in the same boat as GN'R. Sure they put more albums, sure they've toured, sure they're better with their fans... but they are still on an even ground with GN'R. Where GN'R actually gets an edge here is that they've kept the brand name on an even keel with PJ, if not higher, and yet they were completely inactive for many years, and have had one album put out since their heyday.

To ask some people on here, Pearl Jam were the Rolling Stones of the 90's... come on. I'm not saying they aren't successful, but all of those grunge bands hit irrelevancy in '95, ALL OF THEM, and it hasn't ended since. Just like Guns final bow was in Buenos Aires in July '93. Ever since, despite Axl's hope for a 'reboot' of the band, the truth of the matter is they are a nostalgia act. We sit here, and say "they might've had a chance in 2002", and they might've, but odds are... they were a nostalgia act then.

Even a reunion would only go so far. It'd be huge, initially, then it'd drop off quick, and they'd settle into Metallica-relevancy, which last year in 2008, was suprisingly kind of by the numbers in terms of radar. Yeah, Day That Never Comes & Cyanide got played on the radio, but people moved on. THEY KNOW who they cater to. Just like Pearl Jam knows it. And I think Axl has finally figured it out, even though he's still shit at communication and fan goodies.

They cater now to a niche audience.

All of them do. That's all i'm saying. Let's not start saying Pearl Jam is somehow different than GN'R. Their expiration date was in the mid-90s, just like GN'R. Metallica's was in the late 90's.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

With all do respect Axlin, cause you know I respect yah, but your posts on PJ are just fucking ridiculous.

I don't have to argue any point you've made, which are all wrong. PJ's track record speaks for itself. Ignore it all you want.

They've only had one album that sold under 700,000 in the US and that happened in 2004, not 1995. Their first album that didn't sell a million in the US was in 2000. Not 1995. Their current album debuted at #1. And when they have an arena tour they actually sell it out.

They aren't in the same boat as GNR. They're not even in the same fucking ocean.

Grunge ended when all those bands QUIT in 95. No one booted them out. PJ went on and had a very successful career post grunge, without releasing videos or pop oriented singles. They were successful based soley on their music.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

It just sucks when one of your favorite bands is a complete and utter joke in your country.

Come on man, album sales, radio DJ comments, all BS aside, the general  public's reaction to not only the album, but biker-chic braid boy himself is a chuckle. Axl really needs to accept this reality and either a)tailor his expectations and act like it, or b) get the old band back together.

There would be nothing wrong with GnR being a moderately successful band that released solid, well-selling albums for the next 10 years, and touring to mid-level venues (2000-5000 seat US), if only Axl didn't act like a diva regarding everything GnR. I think the public would accept them much more if they were active and realistic.

By all accounts, Axl thinks he should be treated like he was in 1991-93, in terms of paydays, venues, etc, otherwise he'll take his ball and leave the court. This seems to be the main problem.

Board footer