You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: Old WWF question...

NY Giants82 wrote:

PA, yeah HHH and Steph are really married. THey have a couple of kids together.

My beef with Cena is just that he's force fed to me. If he wasnt, hell I might like him, I dont know.

I remember about 10 years ago, it seemed everywhere you went, there were NWO and Austin 3:16 shirts. Still got my Austin 3:16 shirt!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Austin was genuinely likable though, and believable that he could win & be champ. Cena is completely forcefed, his schtick is ok I guess, annoying but it's got character, but he's pretty small. Wasn't he the heavyweight champ?? That's pretty absurd. He should have just been made a long standing IC champ.

I never knew they were really married.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

PaSnow wrote:

Austin was genuinely likable though, and believable that he could win & be champ. Cena is completely forcefed, his schtick is ok I guess, annoying but it's got character, but he's pretty small. Wasn't he the heavyweight champ?? That's pretty absurd. He should have just been made a long standing IC champ.

I never knew they were really married.

I'm not a Cena fan but I definitely wouldn't describe him as small. Hell Jeff Hardy's currently WWE champ, I bet Cena weighs twice what Hardy weighs. Not that it's all about weight or size but I wouldn't have said Cena was smaller than any of HHH, Rock or Austin all credible heavyweight champs.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Oh and by the way, that on air role you're referring to in 2003, was when Vince's did an angle where Eric Bischoff had become GM of RAW, and I believe Austin was made 'Sheriff' of RAW, to keep Eric in line.

Is that when that dammed What? catchphrase became popular?  Anyway, which wrestler would be best for him to face in one match where Austin can have a great match?  Just curious about the answer since I have no idea.  Jericho maybe?

Steph is not to blame for the booking decisions. Last I heard, it was in fact, Jim Ross, that makes all booking decisions. Steph, and I believe Dusty Rhodes, are the head's responsible for storylines and direction. So maybe they are OR aren't responsible. Who knows?

You're wrong here--she is responsible for the booking.  This is what her wikipedia page says: She was promoted to Senior Vice President of Creative Writing in 2006.[2] She oversees the hiring of scriptwriters, supervises the writing team, and is involved in the long-term booking of WWE.   I believe that Dusty Rhodes used to book for ECW before heading to FCW (WWE affiliate in Florida).  I don't think Jim Ross was ever involved in WWE booking.  His job (aside for commentating) was hiring people not writing. 

I think I read somewhere where SMH prefers the soap opera style storylines.  Last year's epic feud with Jericho and Michaels were primarily written with extensive input from both men.  The strange part about the crackpot WWE booking is that sometimes I find the over the top  storylines entertaining.  Anybody remember the time when the evil Undertaker( with the ministry) tried to embalm Stone Cold?  I think they knocked him out with for formaldehyde and dragged him to a dark cemetary.  Luckily, Austin woke up in time and fended them off. Another off the top storyline that made very little sense was the entire Undertaker vs Kane storyline and who actually set fire to their home.  What kind of balance should they take with their booking strategy?  Old school no frills booking or the soap opera stuff.  Ideally you'd like a balance between the two.

But then again... Hogan was never a good wrestler either

Yeah but he tried to keep up most of the time and I think he understood match psychology a lot better than Cena.  He even carried Warrior in the previously mentioned WM 6 main event.  I get annoyed by Cena because 1)he isn't very entertaining--sorry those juvenille jokes don't entertain me 2) his matches just don't flow very well.  I think it was at last month's PPV where he was getting beat down by Jericho.  He escapes the Walls of Jericho and applies his STFU submission move and wins just like that. I will say this about Cena I think he might be a victim of "WWE style" wrestling.  I remember reading that he was a pretty good wrestler in OVW and then when he comes up those skills disappear.  I guess he got smart and realized he didn't need to wrestle a lot to get over.

I do believe the "What?" thing started when Austin was Sheriff of RAW. Could be wrong though.

And as for Wikipedia. Dude, Wiki is NOT a reliable source on any level. It's right and wrong. Steph is head of storylines, and does have a say in booking, but she is NOT head of booking.

Jim Ross is. That came out of his mouth, and not long ago either. So I tend to trust good 'ole JR, quicker than Wiki.

Now if that's changed, then my bad. But my info, is FAR newer than 2006.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh, and FYI, I was listening to the Bubba The Love Sponge Show this morning, and I don't know whether or not it was a repeat 'best of', or live, I heard bits and pieces, but they had Jim Ross on, and then Bubba got Hogan (his best friend) on the line, and they talked a potential Hogan/Austin for WrestleMania. JR seemed a bit nervous as first, as Vince doesn't like them talking about any WWE business outside WWE walls, but JR certaintly listened to everything Hogan said.

Hogan - CLAIMS - that he will do a "clean job" to Austin. He has no problem with it, and would love to see it happen, especially for an event like WM.

JR, being involved with booking, definitely absorbed and listened to everything, and definitely said he'd pass the word, and see where it went.

So, we'll see...

For me though, I read between the lines. Hogan alluded to Bubba, that Vince isn't even talking his phone calls anymore. Apparently they haven't been on speaking terms for awhile. Bubba kept apologizing to JR, as to not make him feel ambushed, but Hogan throwing his name in the hat, to say "i'll job to Austin", was basically Bubba's way, of getting a heavyweight contact to 'pass the word' to Vince.

Me thinks Linda is breaking it off sideways in him in court. He needs the money imo.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Hogan - CLAIMS - that he will do a "clean job" to Austin. He has no problem with it, and would love to see it happen, especially for an event like WM.

Interesting.  Who'll do the heavy liftining in the match though?  Hogan had to be carried in the HBK match in 2005 and Austin has multiple knee and neck surgeries over the years and hasn't wrestled for a while (I'd like to say 2002 but I'm not sure).  Ultimately, though the pre match buildup will be a lot more entertaining than the match itself.

Hogan alluded to Bubba, that Vince isn't even talking his phone calls anymore.

It's been that way for a while.  At some point these guys gets pissed off at one another for some reason or another.  At the end of the day the money brings them all back to the table.

Me thinks Linda is breaking it off sideways in him in court. He needs the money imo.

Yes.  He also has that civil lawsuit to contend regarding the injuries suffered by
John Graziano.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

The HBK/Hogan match was classic. Not because of it's goodness just because HBK showed he still can be a prick and over sold Hogan like there was no tomorrow. Just funny shit really. Hogan won't job to Austin. When it comes down to it he'll change his mind. But with Hogans personal problem of Linda being a money grabbing whore I could see him jobbing multiple times if he really needs the money.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

The HBK/Hogan match was classic. Not because of it's goodness just because HBK showed he still can be a prick and over sold Hogan like there was no tomorrow. Just funny shit really. Hogan won't job to Austin. When it comes down to it he'll change his mind. But with Hogans personal problem of Linda being a money grabbing whore I could see him jobbing multiple times if he really needs the money.

HBk was  a prick...did you see the oversells in that match...it was ridicuolous and blatent...and also hilarious

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

mitchejw wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

HBk was  a prick...did you see the oversells in that match...it was ridicuolous and blatent...and also hilarious

Funny as it was it came across as a bit disrespectful. Partly to Hogan (although I don't really care about that) but also to the fans, Hogan vs HBK is a big deal and HBK turned it into a circus. Admittedly Hogan could barely stand so the whole thing was laughable anyway but HBK's good enough to have still carried it, even JR and Lawler gave up trying to sell the injuries and impacts HBK was pretending to receive.

Having said that the buildup to the match was great, HBK's promos were awesome in that feud, especially all the Bret stuff in Montreal(?).

I'm not sure Austin v Hogan will ever happen, too many egos, etc. If you watch the hall of fame from 08 I wouldn't be surprised if Austins last match isn't vs The Rock, I don't know if The Rocks just playing to the crowd that night but it certainly seemed like both would do it. It'd certainly make a better match than Austin v Hogan and nearly as big a spectacle.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Damn good point Private. That's the thing. Hogan is such a slouch and piss poor wrestler at this point in his career, that he's got to job imo, and let the other opponent do the heavy lifting.

I was never a big fan of the Hogan/Rock & Hogan/HBK matches, because to me, it seemed like The Rock & HBK did all the freakin' work, making Hogan look good.

Austin & The Rock had SO many AMAZING matches. To this day, my favorite match of EITHER of them, is Backlash '99. Austin also had some amazing matches with HHH and HBK and Taker.

Austin has not over-exposed himself like Hogan. Because of Austin's limited ability due to injuries, Austin has rested himself, and refused to sign off on ANY match that isn't "glorious" in nature. It has to be the biggest ticket of all time. And at this point, I think for Vince, it'd be for more marketable to market ("STONE COLD RETURNS FOR ONE FINAL MATCH!") than it would be ("HOGAN vs. AUSTIN: BATTLE OF THE TITANS"). People just don't give a shit anymore about Hogan, and from my knowledge, as far as the 'legends' go, Stone Cold still sells more merch than Hogan. Obviously the appeal is still there for Austin, unlike Hogan, who's EVERYWHERE. Hogan Knows Best, Brooke Knows Best, In Court, American Gladiators, Celebrity Wrestling, etc.

Austin pretty much sits at the house, drinks beer, and lives off his checks from Vince. Which, unless he's been doing 'ghost' matches in the ring for the last several years, I highly doubt Austin is currently in wrestling condition.

Oh, and Slashfro, you're right. Austin's final match was in 2002. In the last seven years, other than a few stunners and some mock punches, he's done nothing in the ring.

Hogan is desperate for money. IF Vince is interested in a Hogan/Austin, now is the time to pull the trigger, when Hogan is vunerable and desperate... BUT... when Hogan ain't happy - he dogs it. He's lazy, and doesn't work. So do you REALLY want a desperate Hogan?

I'd love to see Austin in the ring again, but I just think i'd like to see a Austin/Rock match again... maybe involve the McMahon's for old time's sake. Austin/DX would be cool, as would Austin/Taker... ultimate submission or something like that. There's plenty of other things i'd rather see than Hogan/Austin.

Board footer