You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: GNR go Gold

war wrote:

lame

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Bono wrote:

As for the song One by U2 I honestly feel it's my generations Imagine. Not nearly as popular but still.  I don't think anyone in the last 30 years has written a  song like One. The type of song that truely breaks down all barriers. Race, religion, sexual prefrence, where you're from, male or female, young or old.  It's one of the all time greatest songs ever.

Good point, Bono, although I think Sting's Fragile is in the same place.

That's actually a really good one. The message is clearly there but it's slightly unknown to most. Sting dosn't exactly capture the 30 and under crowd I don't think. I'm not sure the song  hit home or has even been heard by nearly enough people to be in the conversation.  To be honest of all my friends I'd wager only two of them know of this song. sad Stings got some cool stuff though.

Neemo wrote:

home sweet home

14 And I'm the one that's getting carried away.  16

buzzsaw wrote:

Something I Can Never Have.

Wicked, wicked song but I don't see it having the reach of a song like One or Imagine. I love Pretty Hate Machine. That album fucking owns.  9

buzzsaw wrote:

Everybody Hurts?

meh I  don't know. I've always thought that song's popularity was more a result of the music video. In my opinion it's a pretty stale song.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

pearl jam's jeremy was a pretty far reaching song back when it first appeared

it brought alot of the teen angst out for discussion....and the whole soul asylum runaway train thing was huge too

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

pearl jam's jeremy was a pretty far reaching song back when it first appeared

it brought alot of the teen angst out for discussion....and the whole soul asylum runaway train thing was huge too

True. Jeremy was kind of a sad prophecy to Columbine.  I love Soul Asylum and have always loved Runaway Train but I don't think the song itself had much of a social impact. It was more the video with the misisng children. That video actually reunited two of the kids with their families. Pretty awesome. I think you could make the same arguement for Jeremy as well.  The impact the song had was huge in music circles but not much of a social impact untill you saw the video.  Both amazing songs but both propelled by their videos I think.  PLus both songs are focused one paticular incident and charcater. They aren't the global reaching songs the way Imagine or One are. In my opinion at least. Maybe One got a boost from one of it's videos too. Who knows?  But the videos for One don't really reflect the songs meaning so it'd be hard case to make. I'll have to think of some others. This is actually a   cool topic.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

GN'R has never done ANYTHING this good...

Board footer