You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: "Better" starting to gain MASSIVE steam..

Mikkamakka wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

The 'CD fits in more in 2001' is a weak point, since it only proves how far it is from being a timeless album.

It isn't a weak point. Its a fact, 99.9% of the record was recorded in the 99-01 time frame. Can you imagine VR recording Contraband in 2004 but waiting until 2011 to release it? Would you consider its release in 2004 "weak" and think they should have waited until 2011?

Contraband will not sound dated in 2011, although I'm not satisfied with the quality of music. If you use electronica, then don't wait a decade to release it, or you'd better rework the hip-hop and industrial parts.

James Lofton wrote:

It's a joke that the timing was 'perfect' for VR and 'very bad' for Axl.

The timing was perfect for VR. They had a huge buzz with "the Project", and they capitalized on it quickly. They didn't twiddle their thumbs for a decade. They did it quickly, and the few decent songs they recorded became hits.

How much more perfect could the timing have been for VR?

The other poster's point I reflected to was that the timing was perfect for VR, because the GN'R nostalgia helped them sell their records. I don't see that GN'R nostalgia or the brand name would have helped VR more than Nu-GN'R. In fact, I think the opposite: Axl profited more from the brand. He has it.

On the other hand you can't heighten 'perfect timing', just because they not only didn't fuck up their chances, but created some.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

It's a joke that the timing was 'perfect' for VR and 'very bad' for Axl. That's my point. I agree that the quality of music had a little to no effect to the sales, although it goes for both those who bought it and those who didn't. The 'CD fits in more in 2001' is a weak point, since it only proves how far it is from being a timeless album. It's good, but nothing special, with some serious problems (music wise). I'm not talking about the Axl Rose factor that ruins everything all the time.

sort of....the timing was better for both bands to do it when vr did. the difference is gnr created the material but didn't release it, vr did, so now you have dated material and all the previously listed road blocks. i'll agree 2006 would have been a better time to release cd than late 2008 but 2001 would have been better and so forth.

the material not being timeless is irrelevant to my point regarding the cb/cd comparison. if axl could have created timeless material i'm sure he would have. that is something that happens on accident since the future of the music industry is an unknown to all.  the best a musician can do is create what he/she feels will do well at the time it is released while maintaining the integrity and quality of the music. the tricky part is the fact that some amount of complexity is necessary for staying power yet simplicity is what makes songs thrive on the pop charts.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
madagas wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

How about the fact most people, including most DJ's don't want to call this GNR because they don't think its GNR and because of that they won't buy the album out of spite because they view this as a fake and not authentic.  I just heard CD on the radio and after the song the DJ said "you may wish to call this Guns N' Roses, I do not".....  AC/DC and Metallica both sound like AC/DC and Metallica and have familiar faces in the band.  All Axl had to do was be Axl Rose just like Ozzy Osbourne was and he would have been huge and still have the GNR thing in his back pocket.  So there is really only one person you can blame for all this and its Axl, because everything done so far is exactly how he wanted it.  He didn't want to not call this GNR.  He didn't want to promote.  He doesn't want to plan a tour.  He doesn't want to work stuff out with Slash and Duff.  He has no songs with no catchy riffs.....

that was a good post right up until the last sentence. Axl cut his fanbase in half and has alienated alot of people in the industry. I'll concede that, but I still think the songs are solid.

Madagas, I like several songs on the album. I like "If the world" the most at the moment.  I was just saying the guitar riffs aren't catchy.

Board footer