You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: "Better" starting to gain MASSIVE steam..

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:

this is true but i could just as farily say cd would do four times better than CB 4 years ago when the economy was that much better and downloading wasn't an issue.

call it a wash and it comes back to the quality of the music.

Downloading has been a major issue for years, that's why VR tried the 'anti-piracy' thing with CB, when you couldn't rip the album into mp3. (Well, comp experts could do it, but for the masses it was impossible).

I still don't get the 'economy' excuse... it's GN'R's/Axl Rose's first new release in 17 years, so anyone who is interested can have like 12 bucks for it. IF they are interested.

Experts?

All you needed was a audio ripper. Took me 10 minutes for the album, to rip, convert, and burn.

Wow... way to stop me. 16

Thanks for further proving my point that piracy was a major issue even 4 years ago. 5  Anyone who tries to act like downloading hurts seriously only now... do you remember Napster etc.? In the last 4 years nothing happened that would have made it much worse. Peope just not interested in this version of GN'R. They still buy a lot of AC/DC and Metallica albums. They want the real thing whether it's better or not. Best Buy, no promo, no strong single etc. didn't hurt sales as much as not having Slash&Co in the band.

Sky Dog wrote:
Neemo wrote:

14 ^ its an excuse.....you'll feel better about yourself when you face that fact bro...trust me

you were excited to say that it would pass 3 mill worldwide thinking it would be better than contraband, but then after i mentioned that CB actually sold 4 mil worldwide then sales dont matter cuz CD is better.... 16

anyway i'm just buggin ya 19

it hasn't sold 2.9 million in the US....BOTH THOSE NUMBERS ARE WRONG.:peace: It doesn't matter because Chinese ain't getting anywhere near 2,000,000 in the US.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think CD and CB are both great albums. I think one of the differences for the sales is probably the ease with which VR use the media. When CB came out VR were ALL over the media, television, interviews...there was saturation level coverage of Slash and co in rock newsoutlets for a while.

Sky Dog wrote:

Fall to Shit and Shitter did much BETTER on radio.....that is the difference so far. Album sales are driven by singles...always have and always will. Unfortunately, I don't think Axl has a real good single that fits in today's radio. It is still fairly early, but I don't hold a lot of hopes for a huge comeback. It just seems like too personal of a record to catch on with the masses.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
madagas wrote:

Fall to Shit and Shitter did much BETTER on radio.....that is the difference so far. Album sales are driven by singles...always have and always will. Unfortunately, I don't think Axl has a real good single that fits in today's radio. It is still fairly early, but I don't hold a lot of hopes for a huge comeback. It just seems like too personal of a record to catch on with the masses.

Fall To Pieces was number 1 for 11 weeks and Slither was number 1 on Modern and Mainstream

So if u are going to call those songs shit, what the fuck does that make CD and Better?

VR kicked Axl's ass.

Those are just the fucking facts.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

It just seems like too personal of a record to catch on with the masses.

How personal the album is has absolutely NOTHING to do with catching on with the masses. Personal albums have caught on with the masses in the past, they do so today and they will do so in the future.  It's not like people are hearing CD or Better on radio and thinking "Gee Axl's really baring his soul. Sounds like a  real personal album I think I'll avoid it"  I've never heard of an album being too personal that it hurts album sales. That's pretty ridiculous.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You still have to consider the "fact" that having the Best Buy deal hurt the sales in a big way. People can say what they want, but there's not a Best Buy on every block or even in every town or city. Not like Walmart, Kmart, Target, FYE and Sam Goody and the like.  And please spare me the internet option for people to buy it. Not too many people 'browse' shop music on the net. And believe it or not, not everyone buys music on the net...

The BB deal did help Axl and Geffen, but it also hurt album sales. Not that I really care but I am glad its doing as well as it is, considering.

And stop trying to make out that album sales have any kind of relation to how good an album is. If you want to hold on to a number 1 single or album spot like it really means a whole lot, then by all means, hold your torch of irrelevance proud. I like seeing bands I like succeed, but other than that I could wipe my ass with an album chart... The same charts that have a long history of ignoring great music and awarding mediocrity... But yeah, VR kicked Axl's ass because of chart position... roll

And to go on what Madagas was saying, its not that CD was an introspective album (which 90% of it is) its the fact that the album does not have a traditionally marketable "radio friendly" song on it. No matter what anyone thinks, good or bad, CD is much more progressive than anything on the radio right now. And that's what it was trying to be. So it really shouldn't surprise us that Better didn't set the world on fire.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I agree...mostly. But thinking that Better is progressive is a bit too much for me. This album is not progressive at all. Also... if you put out an album full of ballads and you spent 14+ millions on it, you'd better have some songs that catch mainstream interest. It's not selling out. November Rain wasn't a radio friendly song, yet it made its way through the charts and everybody knows the song. BB hurt sales, yes it did, but the lack of promo, lack of Axl's interest, lack of tour, lack of a good single, lack of Slash hurt much more.

Sky Dog wrote:
D-Machine wrote:
madagas wrote:

Fall To Pieces was number 1 for 11 weeks and Slither was number 1 on Modern and Mainstream

So if u are going to call those songs shit, what the fuck does that make CD and Better?

VR kicked Axl's ass.

Those are just the fucking facts.

I said VR kicked their ass on the charts.....but I still think Fall to Pieces and Slither are TOTAL garbage....outside of Slash's beautiful solo on FTP, they are crappy songs just like all the other shitty songs that land at the top of the charts. I will take CD and Better over both of those tracks any day of the week. Where you place on the charts has ZERO to do with quality.

Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

It just seems like too personal of a record to catch on with the masses.

How personal the album is has absolutely NOTHING to do with catching on with the masses. Personal albums have caught on with the masses in the past, they do so today and they will do so in the future.  It's not like people are hearing CD or Better on radio and thinking "Gee Axl's really baring his soul. Sounds like a  real personal album I think I'll avoid it"  I've never heard of an album being too personal that it hurts album sales. That's pretty ridiculous.

maybe so...my original point remains album sales are driven by singles and Axl's singles aren't connecting so far.:/

Board footer