You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Lars Comments on "Better" Video

war wrote:
mickronson wrote:

well I know he doesnt play guitar while tappin his foot to bang a drum ...
of course he has a band behind him. he is the band , same as axl is..

so how is ron playing in gnr different from ron playing "solo" as far as having to work with the other musicians and fit in with the other instruments?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

BBF's contributions to the album are greatly respectable, and enjoyable.

Problem is, I think no one can get a real idea for his ability, because all he's doing is copying material written by Bucket, the best he can. He does it well, very well considering Bucket's talent, but no one can really sit back and say the amazing BBF contributions. BBF did for CD-the album what he did for GN'R the live show.

Throw a band aid over Bucket's departure, and keep GN'R limpin'.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

about covers it..

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Thank You Axl, it's a shame the world lost such a talented artist.

Some of the best stuff on Chinese Democracy are Axl's contributions.  The world hasn't lost him as an artist.  They lost the chemistry GNR once had. 14

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Shackler's Revenge is a perfect example. Bucket wrote it and probably played most/all guitars on it, then for some reason it becomes Ron's showcase. What you end up with is what most consider the worst song on CD.

this coming from a big BH fan who couldnt tell if it was BH or BBF who was doing the massive solo at the end of the track, but i do seem to recalll that you thought it was great no matter who did it....the long and short is that we don't know what the state of this track was at the time that ron joined the band and began working on it...for all we know it coulda just been nothing more than a rhythm/drum section when BH left and Ron fleshed out the track and Axl added vocals...if you look at the time when Beta came on to HTGTH and started ripping the fans a new asshole that Axl didnt owe them anything i think that maybe we can possibly get a picture when this track was completed....at least its a pet theory that i have...i'll give you a hint...it was after Bucket left

Axlin08 wrote:

Problem is, I think no one can get a real idea for his ability, because all he's doing is copying material written by Bucket, the best he can. He does it well, very well considering Bucket's talent, but no one can really sit back and say the amazing BBF contributions.

quite frankly you are talking out of your ass here...we dont know what bucket did before bumble and what we do know that bumble replaced isnt the same thing bucket did...if you want to have an idea of Ron's ability check out his solo material...I have both Normal and Abnormal and i personally think they are both brilliant

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Neemo wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Shackler's Revenge is a perfect example. Bucket wrote it and probably played most/all guitars on it, then for some reason it becomes Ron's showcase. What you end up with is what most consider the worst song on CD.

this coming from a big BH fan who couldnt tell if it was BH or BBF who was doing the massive solo at the end of the track, but i do seem to recalll that you thought it was great no matter who did it

You have a good memory. I couldn't tell at first because it had no distinctive Bucket style. You also are right that I said I liked it, and I did/do.

Most others here, as our survivor poll reflects, don't feel the same way.

I'm not a ron hater or fan, but I'm a fan of GNR, and other than his rhythm work on CD, he did not impress me. And I definitely feel I'm in the majority on this one, not just because we're all Bucket fans. Robin's work is better than his too, and I'm no Robin fan either.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Neemo wrote:
bigbri wrote:

this coming from a big BH fan who couldnt tell if it was BH or BBF who was doing the massive solo at the end of the track, but i do seem to recalll that you thought it was great no matter who did it

You have a good memory. I couldn't tell at first because it had no distinctive Bucket style. You also are right that I said I liked it, and I did/do.

Most others here, as our survivor poll reflects, don't feel the same way.

I'm not a ron hater or fan, but I'm a fan of GNR, and other than his rhythm work on CD, he did not impress me. And I definitely feel I'm in the majority on this one, not just because we're all Bucket fans. Robin's work is better than his too, and I'm no Robin fan either.

I agree with you here.  It's not an insult to Ron, he's a very talented guitar player from what I've heard from him.  But his solo just really doesn't fit in Riad or Catcher.  It interupts the flow of each song I think.  For Catcher, I prefer the Brian May solo and for Riad I prefer the Bucket solo.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I'm 50/50 on his Rhiad solo over BH's I don't mind either of them. I love his work on Catcher though, especially his outro solo behind Axl's vocals, it's Ron's best moment on the album imo.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Saikin wrote:

It's not an insult to Ron, he's a very talented guitar player from what I've heard from him.  But his solo just really doesn't fit in Riad or Catcher.  It interupts the flow of each song I think.  For Catcher, I prefer the Brian May solo and for Riad I prefer the Bucket solo.

this just reinforces my comment that some peopel are "brainwashed" by the leaks....some people have listened to the leaks so much that the final product just seems off cuz its different from what you've come to know and expect in that particular song

for me i was never that enthralled with catcher but hearing the final mix i think its pretty awesome, somethign about it...amybe it seems a bit heavier and modern? i dunno, but I just like ron's tone more than what i remember of brian's tone on the song

Board footer