You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Prostitute

johndivney wrote:

yea that's one of the most critical and cryptic lines on the album.

i think it MIGHT refer to the fans, like people believed Slash's interviews with the press about how shitty axl was to him while slash was killing himself & a few others with dope. like some of the fans stuck with some members of the band that were never going to write songs that fulfilled axl's gnr ambition because they were too busy living rock n roll lifestyle.
but it might not refer to that at all. it's a weird lyric. i'm pretty sure the song is aimed at the fans, "ask yourself..." is pretty apparent, but that "when you should have turned..." is as bewildering and inconclusive as axl has ever been.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame
When you should have turned to the hearts of the ones that you could not save

Reunion...

Yes I think thats what he means by prostituting himself, reuniting with the old line up.
I reckon the whole "who should I turn to/You should have turned to" parts are referring to the guys who replaced the old band and how they deserved much more respect than what many old gnr fans have shown them.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

ugh

The song is not good enough for it's thread to rise from the dead?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think there's alot more in this album about the fans than people want to accept.

I still think Sorry is about the fans, and not Slash.

Sky Dog wrote:

I agree....lots of lines allude to his strained relationship with the fans.

war

war wrote:

i think sorry is about a lot of things, including both slash and the fans, as axl said it was.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
war wrote:

i think sorry is about a lot of things, including both slash and the fans, as axl said it was.

Axl (www.chinesedemocracy.com 12/13/08): I tried sending this ages ago but apparently it never went through. It was a direct response but now fits others questions on the same subject.
The whole whose it about bit w/songs doesn't work for me that much as in whether a line or whatever was inspired by a particular person or situation doesn't mean that in the end that's what or who the song's about.
I could be working with clay and think of someone or something and somehow that could inspire me to take the work in a different direction at the moment but in the end it could just be a nice vase.
I often wonder where the people who inspired so many songs are now and why it's only important with some songs such as Layla as opposed to others. I'm guessin' a fair # of beautiful love songs or otherwise were inspired by some that the artists and public might consider now or in hindsight to be the opposite of how they are depicted or allegedly represented.
With Sorry.. like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations. The main focus on the boards w/the track seems to be either Slash or "the fans" (and the collective of "the fans" is another thing that doesn't work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended.
For me it's for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public's expense and that many of those as well as the public don't know who to believe.
Also where possible I'd like to give people the opportunity to get what they can from the material for a while before clouding that with my inspirations. Of course that's not always avoidable.

war

war wrote:

for me that's confirmation that it is about slash and the fans.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I'd throw the media in there as well.

Sky Dog wrote:

yep...Axl pretty much fires on everyone but himself.....although he has always had lines and lyrics that suggest he is very vulnerable. In the end, Ax is a very conflicted dude which is why I find him interesting. A constant struggle between good and evil. Moments of brilliance and moments of "wtf is he thinking?" ....

Board footer