You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Axl Rose Speaks to Billboard

-D- wrote:

I stay there out of habit but also, just to balance things out a bit. I am actually a GNR fan but some of the shit on there is ridiculous.

I hate when people treat Steven like some incompetent fuck who was privileged to play on AFD

Listen to that CD and pay attention to the drums. Not only is it the best drumming of any GNR cd, but it contains some of the nicest drum work ever laid down on a rock CD.

People go on and on how brain is John Bonham on steroids or something and damn it, I just don't hear it on CD. It sounds like any standard studio drumming u would hear on any other CD. plus, he didn't even write most of the drum parts on there.

oh yeah, I am not a musician because I can't understand the complexity of the drum parts and how it blah blah blah

the drums are low in the mix to save space for other layers of keyboards synthesizers, vocals and guitar.

there aren't any songs I can think of *PLEASE point me to one if I am wrong* where the drums CARRY the song a la We Will Rock You, Paradise City, Rocket Queen, Locomotive, Primal Scream etc etc

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Listen to that CD and pay attention to the drums. Not only is it the best drumming of any GNR cd, but it contains some of the nicest drum work ever laid down on a rock CD.

I agree with the comment about Adler.  I remember watching the Oklahoma 92 DVD and just how flat Sorum sounded on the drums to the point where it took away from the performance.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I have a need...A need for...More cowbell!!! 16

D, if HTGTH is going to make you so ja-ja-jaded, why go over there and then have to blow off steam in every thread here because of them? The place is never going to be balanced out. It is how its intended (and structured) to be now. And you're only there to be belittled and pushed around. There is a huge reason why you're not banned and others of us were (someone can't take the heat 16 ).  You are there for a specific reason: so jarmo and a few mods can score brownie points at your expense.

We all know the score over there. And if its going to piss you off so much I don't understand why you go over there and then bring that shit back over here. I used to enjoy your posts, but now its getting to the point of veiwing your posts like I do buzzkills and a few others; I can't take them serious anymore and I usually ignore them. Disgruntled, bitter negativity is a real drag, man. 18

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That shit was hilarious.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:

I have a need...A need for...More cowbell!!! 16

D, if HTGTH is going to make you so ja-ja-jaded, why go over there and then have to blow off steam in every thread here because of them? The place is never going to be balanced out. It is how its intended (and structured) to be now. And you're only there to be belittled and pushed around. There is a huge reason why you're not banned and others of us were (someone can't take the heat 16 ).  You are there for a specific reason: so jarmo and a few mods can score brownie points at your expense.

We all know the score over there. And if its going to piss you off so much I don't understand why you go over there and then bring that shit back over here. I used to enjoy your posts, but now its getting to the point of veiwing your posts like I do buzzkills and a few others; I can't take them serious anymore and I usually ignore them. Disgruntled, bitter negativity is a real drag, man. 18

yeah u have a great point.

I think it started for me when those people over there when on their old band bashing rampage.

I bought a boot of RIR3 and loved it. I accepted the new band and was really into it. I even made a thread over there why it was ok for this band to be considered GNR.

THEN, the old band bashing shit started. U had people going out of there way to say Robin Finck was better than Slash and that was something I couldn't shut up about. So I start defending Slash and i got a rep for somehow hating the new band etc

Now it has gotten to the point where those people make me so sick, I almost do hate the new band.

U guys are right. I think I am gonna stop posting over there for a while and see how it goes.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

That was the problem for me too. I like CD, and I like the new band. I'm ok with this being GNR. I can accept that axl and slash have problems on personal and business levels and won't reunite. When I get pissy is when people start to knock the accomplishments of the old band. The old records are classics and should be respected as such, along with everyone who contributed to them. The new band, and or its fans/mods, does not need to improve its reputation by insulting the old band, I think the new music is good enough to be recgonised for its own merrit.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

^^ Good post, and I agree with everything you said.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

That was the problem for me too. I like CD, and I like the new band. I'm ok with this being GNR. I can accept that axl and slash have problems on personal and business levels and won't reunite. When I get pissy is when people start to knock the accomplishments of the old band. The old records are classics and should be respected as such, along with everyone who contributed to them. The new band, and or its fans/mods, does not need to improve its reputation by insulting the old band, I think the new music is good enough to be recgonised for its own merrit.

Agreed, I'm a GNR fan in every sense of the word.  From AFD to the present day.  I like and respect every lineup there's ever been.  To me, that just seems like common sense.  But you're right, there are people who diminish what the old band did.  However, there's also a larger amount who really don't give the new lineup a fair shake.  That MAY be part of the reason for those who choose to lash out at Slash and co.  I always found it strange how some people felt like they had to choose a side.  Like this was some sort of divorce or something.  Like people can't support BOTH VR and GNR.  That never made sense to me.  It's not like any of us know Axl or Slash personally so I don't think we're hurting their feelings if we still support them both.  In fact, I believe both have wished each other well over the years, although there's not many good words being spoken recently.

I don't know, just feels like the GNR fan community is divided and probably always will be.  Therefore there'll always be people who bash the old and the new.  Like Rodney King said, "can't we all just get along?"

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

For me it has nothing to do with choosing sides, it has to do with the music I enjoy.  I will always prefer blues based rock to industrial rock until the day I die.  So I prefer VR over the new GnR.  That said, there are new GnR songs I like and VR songs I can't stand.  There are a couple old GnR songs I don't like at all.  It's all about the music, it always has been.  It has nothing to do with Slash or Axl the person, it has to do with the music they produce. 

My favorite GnR album is UYI II and that may be the most Axl influenced album of all of them prior to CD.  Estranged is my 2nd favorite GnR song after Locomotive, and while Slash shines on that song, it's Axl's song.  Most of my least favorite Slash songs are on the 2nd Snakepit album.  I'm more than willing to give Axl a chance.  I gave CD a chance.  It isn't up to par.  I would love to hear a stripped down version of the album someday - I think it could change my opinion on some of the songs if I could actually hear the song.

I wish them both success going forward.  I'm not excited about new VR or new GnR, but I will continue to check both of them out.  I will always be interested in what Axl and Slash do whether seperate or together (unlikely) because they both have enough of a body of work that I enjoy that I will ALWAYS be interested in what they are up to.  Hopefully that's how most of us feel.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I agree Buzzsaw, I think that's how most of us SHOULD feel.  For some reason though, that doesn't seem to be the case.  Unlike you though, I really like CD and am excited at whatever the future might hold for GNR.  I'm a little less excited, okay a lot less excited about the future of VR but I'll still follow them regardless whatever direction they choose to go.

Board footer