You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Wich one of this songs you like to see in the Next GN'R Album ?

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:

But no one can live up to that. Not even John Lennon being resurrected and recording new material. NO ONE can live up to that hype.

I usually don't say it, but I kept going on and on about this back in 01, 02 and 03 at some other forum and I can proudly say now, "I told you so".

The hype was bigger than the Universe itself. It could not be met. Period.

I said in 02 that the album would be met with different categories of people.

First category is the people who hate it because they decided to hate it when they found out Axl continued on with the name. Sort of like a kid decides to hate daddys new wife because she's not mom. It's pretty retarded.

Second category is the people who expected a musical revelation not even matched by resurrection of your favorite religious character. It can't be met. There's a few of those around too. Being whiny because they had such high expectations and have to listen to an over-kill studio version of Madagascar.

Third category is the people who have some rational thinking left. To judge the music for what it is based on what it is. These can easily be spotted when reading reviews.

CD ain't AFD II, there is no Slash, it might have some UYI influences, but ultimately it's a totally different beast.

Actually, I was listening to some Illusion stuff back to back to the epics on CD and I was surprised how close they are to each other. The piano version of November Rain vs This I Love...it's like the songs are brothers.

It's the rockers that are just so different in comparison to GNR's past stuff.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Because they're not Axl's stuff nor interest. I think. So what CD is, is basically a follow up epic ballad Illusion album added by new type of rock songs written by new members. To put it very easy. It fits judging the age of this material. Is anything on this album written and composed after 2002? There's always theories, but is it proven?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

nothing proven 100% but i would wager that anything with a BH or Brain Songwriting credit was written in the 03-04 timeframe

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

There's no way I'm buying the leaks killed album sales. If they had any impact it was probably small. I just don't see a lot of people buying it for curiosity sake. I just don't. People are putting too much stock into that. And there are plenty of outlets for curiosity seekers to get a good sense of what the album sounded like. If people were turned off by the leaks I can pretty much bet that they wouldn't have bought the album in the first place.

The main thing that killed the album was the slow death of the excitement that was built up from 01-03. People just stopped caring.

This band was out of site and out of mind when CD was released. If CD was released in 02 when Tommy and Bucket (and Herbie) were promoting GNR, released a video showing this carnival of awesomeness, this album would have sold very, very well.

The leaks are what kept people interested.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I doubt the leaks did much either way either. If any it helped create a succesfull 2006 tour and keeping the band alive for us. If I hadn't heard Better in 2006 I doubt I would be here today.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:

Because they're not Axl's stuff nor interest. I think. So what CD is, is basically a follow up epic ballad Illusion album added by new type of rock songs written by new members. To put it very easy. It fits judging the age of this material. Is anything on this album written and composed after 2002? There's always theories, but is it proven?

I don't think anything was written post 2002. However, they probably composed, and re-composed up 'til the final months before release imo.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Ballads are good but compare the guitar parts of TIL, Catcher, SOD and Prostitute with SCOM, NR and Estranged and even Dont Cry

U can see the difference or at least i can.

Axl has never been better though. I think he comes very close to surpassing most of his previous work.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't think guitar-driven works are CD's intention. I think it's meant more for pianos and synth to shine, thus the reason Chris is such a valuable contributor to the album. He really gives it that 'rich' sound it has imo.

I like Bumble's guitar work in SR, but other than that, the ONLY other standouts to me is Bucket in TWAT, and his shockingly, bluesier and soulful sound in Sorry.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The song is not "Down By The Sea".

It's an original song called "Down By The Ocean", apparently Izzy was involved.

At one time or another it may have carried that name, though I agree it probably stems from this single interview where Izzy just couldn't recall the title:

Izzy wrote:

In '95, Duff and me recorded songs for the band [GNR]. We made a tape that went nowhere. Then, a couple of months ago I have a message on my answering machine: 'Yo! It's Axl, I need a copy of the songs that you did.' There was one called 'Down by the Ocean' or 'Down by the Sea', they may have used it"

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh okay. I actually screwed it up myself. I confused the title "Down By The Sea", with the classic "Beyond The Sea".

Board footer