You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Brain in Modern Drummer (May 2009)

Sky Dog wrote:

agree...closure was nice. BUT, I think Axl, the band, and the fans need to free themselves of "Chinese Democracy".....and try to start fresh. How you do that...I don't know. He has backed himself so far in a corner, bar a reunion, I don't know how he is gonna get out. Unlike Buzz, I think he can get out, but not by doing the same shit he has done for 17 years. It will take a complete change in personality and attitude. Unfortunately, I know that doesn't happen in your 40's....cause I am in my 40's.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
madagas wrote:

agree...closure was nice. BUT, I think Axl, the band, and the fans need to free themselves of "Chinese Democracy".....and try to start fresh.

Interesting...I think that's why I responded favourably to the announcment of DJ Ashba being in the band. While I can see the alternative point of view - that its yet *another* replacement - I also saw it as a fresh chance for the band. And,  frankly, to me it's positive when there's signs of activity in GNR at all, as I could easily have imagined them waiting for robin to come back in 2 years or something...stranger things have happened.

I see it as a good chance for renewal....IMO a lot of what people don't like about the new band was connected with Robin playing slash's parts very differently. And so if DJ plays them in a more LA rock style then I can see less hatred for the band (although of course there will always be diehard supporters).

In my opinion the more recent recruits have seemed to be good value - bumble talks well with us, and can shred like a motherfucker. Richard does a solid job and looks more at home in a live show than Paul did. Add in DJ and of course Chris and co...and I think we'll have a pretty good show (and very interesting new songs if they persued that)

Plus now we have a new era beginning. If Axl was to put out music in the future it's free of the "we waited 17 years", "we heard the leaks", and "it's a different style", "it cost too much money"   stigmas sometimes associated with the CD project.

I'd love to see a tour, and then eventually for the band to release something new - either stuff from the vault or maybe some stuff from this new line up - even just an EP or something... smile But for now...be good to see them tour this album....

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It was a fresh chance when Ron joined, when Robin rejoined, when Richard joined, etc...it's always a fresh chance, though history says expect more of the same.

how long ago was the DJ announcement?  What has happened (I mean actually happened, not rumored to have happened) since?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It was a fresh chance when Ron joined, when Robin rejoined, when Richard joined, etc...it's always a fresh chance, though history says expect more of the same.

But each of those people got us a step closer to where we are today, we have an extra Axl record that we didn't have back in the day....I agree that someone new joining doesn't mean Axl will stop doing stuff his way, but I do think the loss of Robin could actually turn out to win over some fans that his style had upset...

buzzsaw wrote:

how long ago was the DJ announcement?  What has happened (I mean actually happened, not rumored to have happened) since?

Yeah the wheels do turn slow at times. But in the end stuff seems to happen...just think...this time last year we would have been debating if the album would ever come out.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Yeah, but even I think it's a bit different this time Buzz.

This REALLY is a fresh start.

When you look at the current lineup, and their history with Guns, we are finally so far removed from the CD production era, that it really is a different band. Before you had Robin & Bucket & Brain and stuff like that.

Right now, only the vocalist, bassist and keys players are the hold overs. The guts of a rock band, the guitarists and drummers are all different. Robin gone, Bucket gone, Paul gone, Brain gone (technically).

The lineup of...

Axl
DJ
Ron
Richard
Tommy
Frank
Dizzy
Chris

Is almost a completely different band, and beast at this point from the original concept of rebooting Guns, and truely is their first chance to kind of break the eraser out, move on from CD, and be their own band, and leave that absolute failure of the past 10 years behind them.

As for my opinion of how it'll be handled.... it'll be squandared like everything else. hmm

AtariLegend wrote:

-edit-

Forget it, I forgot who Finck was there for a minute.

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

this site shows

AC/DC - Black Ice (world wide sales - 5,659,000)
Metallica - Death Magnetic (world wide sales - 3,976,500)
U2 - No Line On The Horizon (world wide sales - 2,286,000)
Guns n Roses - Chinese Democracy (world wide sales - 1,998,500)

and it was at least updated last week cuz it shows the new keith urban album that just came out

Both are original sources were wrong, but I was right about the "Chinese Democracy" figures being till December 31st 2008.

Rock Band Press Release wrote:

The highly anticipated November 2008 release of Chinese Democracy was Guns N’ Roses’ first official music release in 15 years. It debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200 chart, at #2 on the UK Albums chart and was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America on February 3, 2009. Chinese Democracy has already sold nearly three million copies.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/arti … icleid=171

Board footer