You are not logged in. Please register or login.

chicken_dinner
 Rep: 19 

Re: Chinese Democracy/Rock Band 2 (Tracks Leaking?)

you (and most people who throw in the overproducing remark) do not know what producing means in the studio while working on a project wink

i mean, in the details. the overall term producing is not the end of it all like people suggest.

example: take the outro solo of catcher you complain about (rightfully). but you use the wrong assumption again because you are talking about the volume being the problem. it does not matter how it was mixed, that solo would still sound out of place and 'in the way' because the solo itself is the problem.

it only could be mixed properly if it was replaced by a new solo that did flow well with that part of the song. take may's version...it fits right in. you could have used the same volumes for that solo as on the album mix and it would still sound proper because that guy knew what the song needed and lay it down. the other guitarist doesnt.

and there are many more examples of that. thats the main problem with CD when it comes to 'overproduction' issues.

prostitute was lower volume because TIL just ended in very low volume and it matches that when you play it right after it. thats actually good producing at work there, because you have to think of the album as 1 whole project, not 14 seperate lil songs.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I knew when I said overproduced it was wrong when I hit "post." Oh well, CD is wayyy too cluttered. The nuances, like the noise under the killer riff during the solo (and absent samples) of Madagascar is fantastic. That would have fit Buckethead's solo PERFECTLY. The sound is so much lighter and crisper. The sub bass really hurts the song.

And the guitars aren't the problem, its the number of guitars, on top of a whole bunch of other shit that's going on, that kills the songs for me. 

I need to hear the rest of these. I hope Axl releases a new mix of the album.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Sorry to disapoint you but I'm not ignorant on the subject.
Just because you think the Catcher solo doesnt fit the song, doesnt detract from the fact that the section could have been mixed better. I'm sure if Axl didnt think the solo was suitable he would have binned it and made him do it again.

Chinese Democracy fades out to low volume then Shacklers Revenge starts up as normal, as do many combinations on the album. The whole of Prostitute is quieter, not just the intro which could have been understandable. For me it was unintentional.

Chinese Democracy is "14 seperate lil songs", the album is thrown together and people have been commenting since day one its like listening to a compilation album, rather than one cohesive album.

Sky Dog wrote:

Are Bob Ezrin and Roy Thomas Baker among us? The only combinations that seem locked in on this record are the drums, bass, and keys....basically the core of the rhythm section.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Better can speak for the entire album.

At first a great idea. A great demo that definetely needed tweaking and fixing, but instead of taking it to the direction we thought they would, they went the other way. Instead of perfecting the guitars and getting the bass in there, they just added a lot of weird techno sounds and some Bumblefoot guitar sounds for good measure.

I'm not sure what Better is...it is a heavy rock song, or some kind of new rock-techno song? And Robin's last solo is way to high in the mix for me. To me the entire song was *toned* down. It should have been more raw. It continues thru the entire album. Too much sounds, too much ideas. The cookie monster voice on TWAT..just what the hell is the point with it? It's like New York...one big mash of everything.

chicken_dinner
 Rep: 19 

olo, you only read the parts you want it seems ;P

the catcher solo has no flow, its off beat and the articulation is exaggerated. thats the best bumble could come up with after 400 takes. he just cant play slow properly. producers arent magicians who can fix that.

the may solo, if it was mixed exactly like the album (higher volume etc), it would still sound more in place because he knows what the song needed.

chinese democracy is a totally different song than til, (hardrock song vs slow strings ballad) so what follows it must match it. entire prostitute isnt quieter like you say, open it up in an audio software, it gradually gets louder and after the lyric "why would they tell me" its as loud as shackler. in fact the last part of the song (before the outro) is louder than shackler. cap of original CD wav files, above prostitute, below shackler:

screenshottt014.jpg

if you think thats all unintentional, you dont know as much as you think about this, no offense 19

as a producer you must think it is 1 whole project...if not, find another job. the fact you listeners think its 14 lil songs is your right, but has nothing to do with the job of producing an album :B

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
chicken_dinner wrote:

thats the best bumble could come up with after 400 takes. he just cant play slow properly. producers arent magicians who can fix that.

You're really saying bumble can't play the guitar properly? That's crazy talk man. You may not like what he does, but it's definately intentional and stylistic, and there are very few techinques he wouldn't be capiable of doing.

DCK

DCK wrote:

Wheres that Bucket solo at Shacklers coming from?

DCK

DCK wrote:

Great..posted in wrong thread

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

I just boggles my mind that the producers and band couldn't figure this out....

14 Considering how long it took for this, its not really that mind boggling. They couldn't even get their own lyrics right, but you expected good production?

That should be your signature...

Board footer