You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Eddie Trunk: What's Up With Guns N Roses?

Sky Dog wrote:

Yes, they all cashed out-management, Ax, and the label.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Um, well Buzz, the Slash tirade was kind of the last thing Axl did, so there isn't anything else to really report on with Axl.

Fair enough.  I think that speaks volumes by itself, but apparently you don't.

And it really wouldn't matter or change anything if everyone on this site thought the way you do. It's still just a few bitter and jaded old GNR fans, and just like right now, it wouldn't mean a thing, no matter how many times you try to push your opinion off as fact. But you go ahead thinking that the original GNR will be huge again.

I never said they will be huge.  I don't think they could stand each other long enough to have the opportunity to be huge.  But a tour would be big dollars for everybody involved and would be very successful.  A reunion tour would make any post 1993 tour seem like a small party.

And despite everything involved with you on these boards, buzz, which for the most part I think is total nonsense, I'm not coming from a negative place. It's just that the original line up is not a huge part of my life. Thinking about them doesn't take up any of my time. And I have no emotional attachment in hoping to see them together again. And I don't have any of the negative feelings regarding the new band that you do. So, I think that is something I can understand from your POV, about this whole thing, that your feelings for the orginal line up, no matter how off base and unrealistic, and borderline belligerent I think you are about it sometimes, I can understand where you're coming from. And for your sake and a few others, I hope one day they share the stage together again.

Everyone is entitled to see the band how they want.

I agree with the last line 100%.  I've never told anybody that they shouldn't like the new band.  Love it all you want.  I don't care about that.

I also understand not having an emotional attachment to the old band.  Whatever, that's fine too.  But don't discount my thoughts and the thoughts of many, many others because you don't get it.  This band was the biggest band in the world for a period of 5 years or so.  If you don't think they racked up a huge following then and continue to rack up fans, you haven't checked the sales figures for AFD and GH lately.  There are way more buzzsaws out there than you seem to want to accept because of what you see on a message board.

And if you think they're dead, mad, okay. I've just seen this episode before. I know how it ends up. Everything is dead until something happens. If it doesn't, oh well, I still want those 2002-2006 recordings.

For the record I think the band is exactly the same way its been since 1996. Nothings changed. Nothing is saying otherwise. Carry on...

Agreed.  The band is off the radar and nobody cares about what Axl is doing, much like the past decade or so.  So nothing changing seems to support my views much better than it supports yours.  If nothing has changed, according to you the best we can hope for is another failed album in 15 years.  Now do you understand why people are giving up?

Sky Dog wrote:

alright, we've played this thread and discussion out. What's up with Gnr? Nothing. Let's all move on to the next argument. 19

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The only time I've really disagreed with you buzz, (not including your opinion based on the new line up because you have your thoughts and I'm not trying to change that) is when you state your opinions as fact and totally write off anything else anyone says that doesn't jive with your views. That maes it hard for me to take you seriously. But like I said, the old band means a lot to you, so I do understand where you're coming from. And I'll try to be more aware of that in the future/

As for my views Vs. your views:

I don't see this current line up as huge, or great. And my favorite line up of GNR, the 2002 version, is gone. It ain't coming back. And I blame Axl for that. But I'm not throwing stones at the current line up for it. I'm used to how this band operates. And I'm totally fine with how this band charts, how big or small concert attendance is, or how small they are in relation to GNR in its prime. I really don't care. They don't have to be huge. I just want killer music. That's all I care about. He delivered on that for me. That's where I stand. I'm not holding one line up over the other and I'm not pissing on another to help build up the one I like. I like them all.

And I don't see this band as something its not.

And I'm not sold that album sales equals a fanbase. I own a lot of records of bands I'm not a huge fan of and have no intention of seeing them live. GNR has some classic songs that people want in their collections. I don't see that as a sign of people wanting, or caring about the old line up getting back together. But I could be wrong there. I just don't see it being viewed any more than Motley Crue.

GNR never had the relationship with the fans to sustain a huge following like Aerosmith for example. I think a reunion would be big for nostalgia purposes, but that's about it. And I don't mean that as a negative.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

And I'm not sold that album sales equals a fanbase. I own a lot of records of bands I'm not a huge fan of and have no intention of seeing them live. GNR has some classic songs that people want in their collections. I don't see that as a sign of people wanting, or caring about the old line up getting back together. But I could be wrong there. I just don't see it being viewed any more than Motley Crue.

To some extent, I agree with you.  But look at it as a ratio instead of just numbers of people.  On average, let's say 1 out of 5 people that buy an album would go see a band live (the number is wrong I'm sure, but humor me).  The more albums you sell, the more likely it is that more people will show up at your show.  There are certainly exceptions to the rule - some bands have huge tours but don't sell many records and vice versa, but on average it's a vaild comparison.

GNR never had the relationship with the fans to sustain a huge following like Aerosmith for example. I think a reunion would be big for nostalgia purposes, but that's about it. And I don't mean that as a negative.

How old are you?  For you to say this, it's obvious to me that you were not a teenager or older when GnR was huge.  I think you're basing the relationship with the fans on Axl and the band of today.  In the past, Axl wasn't quite the hermit he is now, but more importantly, Slash was the face of the band with the media (hence why fans don't accept anything less than Axl/Slash as GnR).  He did the interviews.  GnR was all over the place.  Why do you think there is ANY interest in this band?  Because the fans had a strong relationship with the band.

You could argue Aerosmith didn't have a huge following until Pump came out, so they spent the first 10 years with a following, but not like they had in the late 80s and into the early 90s.  Aerosmith was also dead during the Perry-less era...another non-coincidence.  Aerosmith wasn't Aerosmith without Tyler/Perry.  I don't make these things up.  Why do you think EVERY band that has ever made it big hasn't been ablse to survive a major lineup change to the faces of the band?  The only possible exception is AC/DC, but they weren't big until Back in Black even though people knew somewhat who they were.

Sky Dog wrote:

From Eddie Trunk's twitter...looks like Tommy was at Duff's Loaded show last night! Pretty cool.
http://twitter.com/therealedtrunk

maybe Bumble and Tommy are seeking some form of psychotherapy with Duff....Axlitis can be very debilitating.:haha:

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

And if you really think a U.S. stadium tour of a reunited Guns N' Roses would bomb, you seriously aren't living in reality.

If you needed any idea of the idea of reunion, go back to 2006. Watch every show Izzy is introduced in, and the places, including festivals, go fucking nuts.

people at a "new gnr" show cheering for izzy is proof that a reunion tour would be huge?

the only thing that that proves, AT THE MOST, is that the people cheering approved or were happy to see izzy there. bottom line - anyone at those shows was there to see axl.

add booze and pot and half the people don't even know why they're cheering.

would 99 percent of them/us prefer the original line-up? yes. but the people that paid to see "new gnr" can't be used as evidence that a reunion tour would be more successful than the current band.

greatest hits outsells chinese democracy, yes, and therefore a reunion tour would outsell a cd tour but by how much is overrated.

gnr has become a nostalgia act due to inactivity and no efforts to bridge the gaps between the new band and old fan base and no efforts have been made to promote the new band and bring in new fans.

that leaves us with the people that made the original band huge, minus anyone who dissaproves politically or musically of axl and his new band using the gnr name.

in the case of a reunion tour, bring back those fans and subtract the following:

-deceased - people that were around in '87 but are no longer.

-converted - people that no longer listen to gnr in favor of lighter music.

-lifestyle chages - people that go to bed at 10 o'clock in order to get up and get their kids to teeball or whatever.

-anyone that still has a problem with axl's use of the gnr name and refuses to give him money

-economy/money issues - not everyone has the money to go to rock concerts right now

etc.

madagas wrote:

From Eddie Trunk's twitter...looks like Tommy was at Duff's Loaded show last night! Pretty cool.

Yeah, I thought that was awesome.

I was pretty surprised when I read it.

Sky Dog wrote:

I forgot that some of the guys in Loaded were in Alien Crime Syndicate...Tommy's touring band some in 2004...from Jarmo

"By the way, when Tommy toured in support of Village Gorilla Head in 2004, his backing band was Alien Crime Syndicate. Some of them are in Duff's band...."

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

that probably explains why and how they met before then....based on that tommy interview from a month or so ago

Board footer