You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: New AIC Album Sept 29

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but Man In The Box is one of their best. Hard comparison. Man In The Box slaughters most of their catalog.

Like I said earlier, this is a good song, not a great song. It really does sound like something that would be a B-side on Tripod imo.

As for Jerry sounding like Layne... yeah, sort of. I still hear DuVall doing it do. Listening to Jerry's Degradation Trip stuff, I can see why they sought out an actual vocalist. Jerry has the sound, but the power in his voice is minimal. It's kind of like when Izzy & Duff took the lead vocals on GN'R songs. The backing vocalists still gave it that GN'R vibe, but the power wasn't there. That main lead vocalist (Axl). I think the same could be said here. Jerry sounds exactly like what Jerry is. A backing vocalist singing lead.

Seems to me, Jerry is just trying to be Jerry like he was in AIC's original run, while DuVall is the one focusing on trying to duplicate Layne's presence, and obviously has the power vocals of the group.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Dude I like this more than Man in a Box. But MIAB is one of my least favorite AIC tunes, for some reasons. I still like it although I still haven't played it more than 6 or 7 times. It does lack a bit of a hook but it isn't the real single so I'm not at all worried.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

the pace is a tad slow, too...
but fuck it.. if this is one of the weaker tracks on the record.. it's gonna be fucking amazing

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Dude I like this more than Man in a Box. But MIAB is one of my least favorite AIC tunes, for some reasons. I still like it although I still haven't played it more than 6 or 7 times. It does lack a bit of a hook but it isn't the real single so I'm not at all worried.

Probably because radio beat MIAB into the freakin' ground. Seriously.

I was always a "We Die Young" man concerning Facelift. I also thought songs like Sea of Sorrow and Confusion were criminally underrated.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

i actually think the chorus has nice hook to it and is pretty catchy. personally, i would like a guitar solo in the song, but its fine without it.

i really don't hear anybody on the song trying to sound like layne. i think people are only hearing this because of the harmonies.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Even next to other AIC songs like Grind, Sludge Factory, etc this song doesn't quite stack up.

I'm pretty sure this isn't one of the weaker songs on the album.  Makes no sense that the first new AIC song people hear would be one of the weakest ones.

Communist China

I like it more than Grind and equal to Sludge Factory. I can see why people wouldn't love it but I don't think it should cause any worry. If the real single is a dud then sure, we're in trouble.

To me, this is like what Smashing Pumpkins did by putting out 'Doomsday Clock' as a non-single before the release of Zeitgeist. It's showing the classic touch of the old band is still there, and is HEAVY. If nothing else, they're both heavy songs that show the bands can still rock. Sadly Zeitgeist wasn't good... the song 'Chinese Democracy' could be seen as the same thing. Announce your return with authority with a powerful, crunching tune that doesn't have all the hooks and 4-minute runtime of a single.

nugdafied wrote:

I'm pretty sure if these tired, old frankenstein bands could, they would much rather just release a few rockin' hits right off the bat and go straight back to packing North American arenas. Nice attempt at rationalizing though.

Communist China

Right off the bat? They're not to the plate yet. The single hasn't been released, this isn't the single, and on top of that, it's a good song. If you want to give up, fine, your loss.

And I'm not sure they'd do whatever it took to sell out arenas. Some bands would rather play music they look than resort to the tricks of modern pop to score a hit. This is Alice in Chains, not Chris Cornell.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Like others said, this could be a CD single situation. CD was the first single off of CD, and was FAR from the best track on the album.

Board footer