You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: New AIC Album Sept 29

jorge76 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Interesting stuff there. Good to hear there are slowed down acoustic songs scattered in the album, like Tripod.

I totally agree with that, Dirt and Jug Of Bugs are masterpieces, but I would have rather seen two balanced albums than one that kicks your ass and one that's mellow all the way through.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Elton John is on the album.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=125067

I'm no Elton John fan but it's such an interesting guest appearance and the description of the song sounds amazing. When I have the album in my hands a large part of me will want to skip to this track first.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

From the Official Diamond Lie Press Kit:

VOCALS: Layne
BORN: Aug. 22, 1967; Seattle, WA
CAREER: 4 years

Taking center stage for DIAMOND LIE is the energetic and electrifying Layne. Layne's experience with various groups of various styles has given him quite a range of vocal capabilities; from the speed metal group SLEZE, to the punchy glam rock of ALICE 'N CHAINS. Layne's versatility and uninhibited stage performance prove him to be a valuable frontman.

GUITAR: Jerry Cantrell
BORN: March 18, 1966; Tacoma, WA

The much devoted Jerry Cantrell is founder and guitar ace of DIAMOND LIE. Jerry is the only remaining member of the original DIAMOND LIE line- up, but the transiton (sic) was a positive one. This is his first band, but his natural talent and enthusiasm keep him a precious driving force behind DIAMOND LIE.

BASS: Mike Starr
BORN: April 4, 1966; Honolulu, HI
CAREER: 8 years
      One half of DIAMOND LIE's rhythm duo is Mike Starr, delivering the up- beat basslines in DIAMOND LIE's music. Mike, having previosuly been with other local bands is no stranger to the stage. He has opened for many national acts, those including the Plasmatics, Quensryche, Oingo Boingo, and Missing Persons.

DRUMS: Sean K.
BORN: May 27, 1966; Seattle, WA
CAREER: 15 years
      The other half of this powerful rhythm team is Sean K. on drums. Sean's talent and exuberance are well supported by his years of experience. DIAMOND LIE is his first band, but he's done a lot of studio work with other prominent local bands in the past. Sean's experience, talent, and sheer energy provide the backbone for DIAMOND LIE.

I did not know this. Looks like they had plenty of Experience before the Grunge thing kicked off.

link : http://www.bacus.net/alice/images/diamond.htm

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Elton John is on the album.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=125067

I'm no Elton John fan but it's such an interesting guest appearance and the description of the song sounds amazing. When I have the album in my hands a large part of me will want to skip to this track first.

Oh yeah, me too, and I love Elton John.

I'm frankly blown away by his performing with Alice In Chains, especially on a song told to be a Layne tribute. I'm so getting this album, and i'm listening to that final track.

But AIC's final tracks, always kick ass. Real Thing on Facelift, Would? on Dirt, Don't Follow on Jar of Flies, Over Now on Tripod...

This will probably be another great closer.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

There are. Here is a song by song report.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2009/07/22/al … ty-report/

1. Heavy as fuck. AIC is the band every modern hard rock band (Chevelle, Disturbed, etc) tries to be, but aren’t nearly as good.

2. Awesome, heavy, deep groove. “Check My Brain”? Dense vocal harmonies, inflection just like Layne. Depth.

3. Power grooves, bass present throughout.

4. Acoustic. First time you can hear Duvall’s voice upfront without all the layers of guitars and harmonies. Verse sounds like “Keep on Rockin’ in the Free World.” Multi-layer vocal harmony. very ’90s guitar — “Your Decision”?

5. “A Looking in View.” God damn this song is heavy. Track 1-3 were also as heavy as this. This album is slow, groovy. Slow heavy as opposed to fast heavy. Sometimes slow is heavier than fast. Fade out… no one really does fade-outs anymore.

6. Another acoustic song. Is this the Layne song? Kinney bongos. Electric solo great — shoulda been longer.

7. Slowest yet — heavy. Not going for poppy choruses on this record, just good songs and emotion. Part 2 — fastest section on the record yet. Back to part 1. This song is epic. Back to part 2!

8. mid-paced rocker — most like old AIC so far. Duvall’s voice really low, haunting. Pretty sweet chorus. Possible single.

9. Big, slower, but arena-rocky. Major key chorus. Reminds me of “Sea of Sorrow.” Short but fitting solo. Song still kinda slow and plodding (in a good way).

10. Really slow but still loud. Distorted guitars. AIC are the Crowbar of alt-metal/rock. Gigantic sounding guitars on this whole record. Another ace solo – Jerry not a guitar hero, just plays what’s right.

11. Quiet. piano + guitar + vocals. Layne song? melancholy. “Black Gives Way to Blue”? “I Remember You.”

Another Metalsucks reader. Great stuff 9

Read that track by track a while back when it was posted and I am very excited for this record.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Black Gives Way To Blue features Elton John on piano.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Just gave looking in view a listen. Impressive

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

From the Official Diamond Lie Press Kit:

VOCALS: Layne
BORN: Aug. 22, 1967; Seattle, WA

Taking center stage for DIAMOND LIE is the energetic and electrifying Layne. Layne's experience with various groups of various styles has given him quite a range of vocal capabilities; from the speed metal group SLEZE, to the punchy glam rock of ALICE 'N CHAINS. Layne's versatility and uninhibited stage performance prove him to be a valuable frontman.

GUITAR: Jerry Cantrell
BORN: March 18, 1966; Tacoma, WA

The much devoted Jerry Cantrell is founder and guitar ace of DIAMOND LIE. Jerry is the only remaining member of the original DIAMOND LIE line- up, but the transiton (sic) was a positive one. This is his first band, but his natural talent and enthusiasm keep him a precious driving force behind DIAMOND LIE.

BASS: Mike Starr
BORN: April 4, 1966; Honolulu, HI
CAREER: 8 years
      One half of DIAMOND LIE's rhythm duo is Mike Starr, delivering the up- beat basslines in DIAMOND LIE's music. Mike, having previosuly been with other local bands is no stranger to the stage. He has opened for many national acts, those including the Plasmatics, Quensryche, Oingo Boingo, and Missing Persons.

DRUMS: Sean K.
BORN: May 27, 1966; Seattle, WA
CAREER: 15 years
      The other half of this powerful rhythm team is Sean K. on drums. Sean's talent and exuberance are well supported by his years of experience. DIAMOND LIE is his first band, but he's done a lot of studio work with other prominent local bands in the past. Sean's experience, talent, and sheer energy provide the backbone for DIAMOND LIE.

I did not know this. Looks like they had plenty of Experience before the Grunge thing kicked off.

link : http://www.bacus.net/alice/images/diamond.htm

Oh yeah, AIC were more in league with GN'R back in late 80's. Hell, some of those excised Facelift demos are not only lost gems (I Can't Have You Blues, Social Parasite), but I could easily see them being GN'R songs.

Then of course by 1990, they went the darker route with everything in Seattle getting darker and darker. By the time they were done, the 'lightest' new band on the scene, had become the 'heaviest', lol. 16

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

after hearing ALIV, the clip of CMB, and acid bubble.... i am SOLD....

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

The cover art  has been revealed

AIC_FINAL_COVERsmall.jpg

Board footer