You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: So where does GN'R stand right now and what is the current news?

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't get that theory at all either Stepvhen.

Every solo gets an isolated credit in Chinese Democracy, and the last time I checked I didn't see songs being built around solos lately.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

What I mean is if you start breaking down the song too much and saying "this is the solo this is worth one credit, these are the lyrics these are worth one credit, this is the bridge whoever writes this part gets a credit" you start to look at the different parts of the song as a commodity rather than looking at it as a whole piece of entertainment/art. I personally think over crediting is harmful.

Credit where credit is due of course but if you start giving credits for the solo why not give the drummer credits for his imaginative rhythms/fills in a song like Rhiad. For me the drumming makes that song and is the most memorable aspect.

If you start giving individual credits for solos you gotta give them for the innovations and important parts lent by the other instruments too.

Its opening a can of worms

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I see your point. In a nutshell, it individualizes it, instead of it being a band, or an artful thing.

But in Axl's case with CD, he's damned both ways. He gives full credit to everyone in every nook and cranny of that record, and it's "where the BAND Axl? Looks like a bunch of hired musicians!"

He doesn't, to present more of a 'band' credit to the album, and suddenly it's people running around giving Ron credit for Bucket solos, and Frank credit for Brain's drums, and Richard credit for Robin's solos, etc.

I mean, think about it. And let's all be honest.

What if CD had just credited "Guns N' Roses" for the album. And maybe just gave the basic credits here and there, like on AFD & UYI. But no isolated credits for solos n' such. Only band pictures of that of the 2007 band, the most recent.

You'd have people all over the place talking up Richard's AMAZING guitar work on CD. I guarantee you. Shows you how many have NO CLUE what they are even listening to.

Stepvhen

Stepvhen wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I see your point. In a nutshell, it individualizes it, instead of it being a band, or an artful thing.

But in Axl's case with CD, he's damned both ways. He gives full credit to everyone in every nook and cranny of that record, and it's "where the BAND Axl? Looks like a bunch of hired musicians!"

He doesn't, to present more of a 'band' credit to the album, and suddenly it's people running around giving Ron credit for Bucket solos, and Frank credit for Brain's drums, and Richard credit for Robin's solos, etc.

I mean, think about it. And let's all be honest.

What if CD had just credited "Guns N' Roses" for the album. And maybe just gave the basic credits here and there, like on AFD & UYI. But no isolated credits for solos n' such. Only band pictures of that of the 2007 band, the most recent.

You'd have people all over the place talking up Richard's AMAZING guitar work on CD. I guarantee you. Shows you how many have NO CLUE what they are even listening to.

Ha ha yeah your dead right. I would have been VERY pissed to find songs on CD credited to Guns N roses. I do however think that CD is an isolated casein general Id hate to see over crediting from a more regular band.  I used to love on Audioslave and Rage records how at some point in the booklet it would say "All sounds made by Guitar Bass Drums and Vocals" (though that was so people wouldn't think they used a DJ and I think they still gave credits on songs ) there is something to be said for looking at song credits on an album and seeing just the band name after each song. Its somewhat mystifying. I agree 100% in this case however. After waiting 17 years I definitely did not wana open the booklet to see "There Was A Time (T.W.A.T)- by Guns N Roses"

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

Well, there's a difference between songwriting credits and listing who played what solo, what instrument, etc.

Does the fact that all the AFD songs were credited to "GnR" diminish the quality of the album for you?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

No because in the AFD days it was pretty clear who GNR was. But a credit to GNR from the chinese album could mean tobias, bucket, or any one of a handful of people who contributed to the album then bailed on the project.

As a fan i've been happy to learn who was the genesis of what track, and also who plays where, as sometimes it's obvious and sometimes it's not. For example this very thread where Bumble's scrapped solo was being attributed to bucket.

Stepvhen

Stepvhen wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:

Well, there's a difference between songwriting credits and listing who played what solo, what instrument, etc.

Does the fact that all the AFD songs were credited to "GnR" diminish the quality of the album for you?

The difference there (as is obvious from my previous comment) is that at the time GNR were a regular band. They had not had a billion line-up changes and decided to keep certain musicians work and not others.

In appetite era Gnr was: Axl Slash Duff Izzy and Steve as it said in the booklet.

In the CD Era Gnr were: Axl Dizzy Tommy on bass and Chriss on bass at times too but otherwise hes on synths and keyboards.
A bit of Robin Finck on Lead some Richard Fortus Leads. Mostly Buckethead on lead Bumblefoot on some more lead and rhythm too Bucket head on rhythm Finck on rhythm Axl playing some guitar too Chris Pitman on the 12 string guitar on If the world (that no one can hear). Robin Finck on the First half of the Chinese Democracy solo Bumblefoot on the second half replacing bucketheads original solo from the leaks Paul tobias on Lead guitar in parts and also on rhythm in parts.
Axl on piano Dizzy reed on piano too and dizzy does some percussion but hes not a drummer like brain, Frank does some drums too but they are mostly based on Josh Freese original work. Pitman adds some sub base here and there and as stated does some keyboards just like Dizzy.

So to answer your Question No. Because GNR were very easily definable on AFD

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Have you guys seen this youtube vid featuring all things GNR both new and old?  I think it's fantastic.  Take the first 2 minutes or so and put it to one of the new songs and release that as a music video pronto.  Done, finished, good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfvPIeMbyZI

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Yeah thats pretty cool, they could have thrown together a kickass video together with live footage easy-peasy.

The music sounds great accompanied with live footage, I always thought Prostitute sounded amazing in this little video:

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Great promo. GNR/management people didn't come close in creating this stuff.

Board footer