You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Classic Rock talks to Slash about Weiland, VR and Solo Disk

monkeychow wrote:

^ Yeah...i'll grant he does change his story a lot.

But then I guess that's the reality of working in the industry. Like if he had doubts even from the start - could be publicly express them and not kill the album?

Imagine if in the contraband interviews he'd said "I think scott is stifiling my solos" - it would have been a disaster. So he just had to be upbeat about the good parts - the chemestry between duff and he and that kind of stuff.

So i can see that it's frustrating that he changes his opinion with the weather, but then again, it's part of the reality of things, you can't be negative about your own product if you want anyone else to like it. Also, from looking at the output compared to his other efforts, it seems to me beyond question that for some reason his playing was being limited in that contxt. I do like VR's music, but looking at slash's work, even on a modern track, something like "Vengance is mine" with Alice Cooper, clearly shows that the VR records don't feature his skills to the extent they could. So i think despite the story change he may have a point.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Which is why it's hard to ever truely believe Slash's side, on... anything.

Granted Axl is overly negative, but his story hasn't really strayed all that much over the years. It's stayed pretty much the same, the only thing is he doesn't ever go into detail.

But Slash's stories change so much in tone, situation, and overall outcome ALL the time with everything from VR to GN'R, that frankly, I wouldn't believe him to tell me anything about Axl.

Scott Weiland might be a whiney, self-absorbed, talentless, t-total douche bag... but I think he's another frontman VICTIM of someone that collaborated with Slash.

The thing is, all of them seem to have negative attitudes towards frontmen. Izzy dropped out of VR, because they wanted a frontman. And everyone says, "well Axl burnt them forever on that".

I don't think so.

I think we're dealing with another Van Halen here. Slash thinks HE should be the star. Duff thinks HE should be the star. Izzy thinks HE should be the star, etc. When the reality of the situation, is RARELY are those roles they hold in a band, ever feature 'the star'. Usually that's the lead singer's role. And at times, I don't think Axl or Scott had to do much to piss them off. They seem to have a major hangup on frontmen.

Which is sad, because I doubt they'll ever settle down with one, without some kind of drama going on behind the scenes.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

This interview actually made me start leaning over towards Axl's version of the breakup

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Well I mean let's look at Slash's band history

GN'R- that was a clusterfuck by the end of it and it really just came down to he couldn't get along with Axl but the other guys were willing to try and stick around
First Snakepit- Just ended but he doesn't make the rest of the band look too good in his book
Second Snakepit- Same as above
Velvet Revolver- See the GN'R one

Whilst obviously not all the blame is his, the fact that the four main bands he's been have dissolved and all the breakups have kind of involved him does say something.

Sky Dog wrote:
-D- wrote:

This interview actually made me start leaning over towards Axl's version of the breakup

It's real simple, the truth always lies somewhere in the middle in things like rock band breakups...especially bands that grew to the size of Gnr.:|

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

the thing about Slash though is that he stays true to the band and the members while in the band, its not like he was airing all that shit out there while it was happening in either case (gnr, snakepit or vr). its later, when asked why things fell apart then he gets into it. with Scott, he came from a different genre than the other guys, people have already said that Slash almost had a minimalistic approach in VR, we obviously they were butting heads during the writing, and obviously Slash stepped aside to keep things as cosher in the band as possible...and scott is a diva, i'm sure that the last thing they wanted was another primadonna frontman, and thats what they got...also it was obviously bad for his health if he stepped into injecting drugs again...i'm sure that also played a role, he'd already kicked it a few times so being stuck back in addiction couldnt have been fun

anyway i'm with madagas, the blame never rests on one person

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I don't think anyone's putting full blame on Slash, but for so many years Axl was getting slammed and blamed completely for the breakup of GNR, while Slash looked like an innocent angel who could never do any wrong.  Well obviously that was far from the case, and only now are people starting to take notice.

It's all about being fair. Noone is saying that it's all of a sudden on Slash's hands.

Axl simply doesn't deserve to get all the blame (hatred or whatever) passed on to him and him alone.

It wasn't a one-man "job". You don't have to be a genius to figure that one out.

I remember Izzy saying, regarding his appearances in 1993 when Gilby broke his wrist, that they all had turned into zombies at that point.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
-D- wrote:

I'm not leaning towards Axl or Slash's version.  Funny thing is that people should realize that this breakup was not just one person's fault.

I think that these "Rock Stars" like Slash,Axl,Scott and any other are just whiny little bitches,sure they are talented,but all they do is whine about everything to the press

Board footer