You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: The NINE INCH NAILS Thread

metallex78 wrote:

I like the really aggressive fuck-you kind of NIN of Downward Spiral, is there anything like that on this new one?
I also dug the really atmospheric stuff on The Fragile too.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I like the really aggressive fuck-you kind of NIN of Downward Spiral, is there anything like that on this new one?
I also dug the really atmospheric stuff on The Fragile too.

Nope... But it's still fucking incredible. big_smile

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

Listened to the album and I`m underwhelmed it`s not what I expected. Copy of A, Came Haunted Back and Everything are duds not my fave NIN album. I guess Trent has run out of good ideas.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

These are all early thoughts, but here goes:

If you wanted an album to prove that Trent could still crank out some rockers with a little pop sensibilities, I think he’s sick of proving that. With Teeth was almost entirely a statement record saying (to the record companies, mostly) ‘fuck you, I can still write a hit rock record with 3 singles’, and The Slip has a couple more throwaway rockers (my opinion) if you just want to head bang.

This is a dance album, and an electronic album. I think that’s a logical progression for Trent, who’s been living a happier life and scoring films the last few years while electronic music has been growing more mainstream than it was in NIN’s peak. If you don’t like Came Back Haunted, you probably won’t like the album, as it’s a pretty good representation of its sound. If you like Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile, and I know a lot of people probably consider those albums polar opposites, but if you like both of those, I think this pulls mostly from those. After The Fragile, Trent really didn’t get too deep with the layering or texture of his instrumentals. Things got simpler, more Pro Tools sounding, and I think a lot of fans sensed that he ended up thinking The Fragile was overly indulgent because he plays almost none of it live. Hesitation Marks is probably the most detailed instrumentation since The Fragile, although it still bares a lot of the production touches of NIN’s recent albums.

I can’t do a real song-by-song because I didn’t always know what song I was listening to. It’s funny, Copy of A is probably my least favorite song on the album. As for Everything, I think it’s good Trent wrote a Green Day song because they need something new to steal. My favorites on 1-2 listens were All Time Low, Satellite, Various Methods of Escape, Came Back Haunted. There are a bunch of songs that are a lot better in the instrumental-heavy second half than the verse-chorus-verse first half. Came Back Haunted, Running, and I Would For You are all awesome halfway in, but a little forgettable in the beginning.

I think there’s a lot to like here. Honestly, when I listen to NIN I don’t reach for The Slip or Year Zero. This could get more plays for me. But of course, it’s too early to say. I thought Alice in Chains’ comeback was good the first time I heard it…

Board footer