You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: The GnREvolution Q&A with Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal

DCK wrote:

They, Fortus included, should understand that this "promote your crappy other projects through GNR" doesn't work with us anymore. It just pisses us off. Ron, like you say, has never done it the wrong way. Ron knows how to be rethorically excellent every time he step up and speaks. You don't have to be annyoing just because you're in GNR. Ron is the proof of it. It is not needed. Ron should fucking host lectures in his house learning these guys, especially Fortus and our previous departure Finck, how to speak properly.

Dizzy could never get anything right and made an ass of himself about 10 times before he just quit and gave up speaking. Tommy ain't much better. Bucket doesn't speak, Brain speaks rarely. But it doesn't matter. They all should fucking take lessons from Ron.

Cool interview,the best I've read in a while.I think Ron's cool,not just as a musician but as a person as well,he should be the official spokesman for GN'R.

I actually like Richard Fortus.

OH SHIT!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Fortus is one of those great 'all rounder' type guitarists to me, people will no doubt start up in a moment about how he is a session guy and whatever else, as if that means he's average, when being a wordlcass session guy actually requires a very very high level of musicianship and technical ability on your chosen instrument.

No doubt Fortus is a similar professional as, say, Josh Freese. The fact that he gains regular employment as a recording/touring member speaks for itself, as does his versatility when it comes to the artists he works with. You're very much in the right in the sense that it takes a lot of technical skill (as well as people skill) to jump into an act, claim your pocket, merge within the sound and get organic on click. If you can do it, you're set for a career.

The problem with Fortus is that he's... well, impersonable. There's not much distinctive character to go around as far as his musicianship is concerned, because the guy's a chameleon. This, naturally, comes out as a necessity due to the nature of his chosen profession. He may carry the Stones influence on his sleeve like half the rock guitarists on the planet, but how genuine is that as opposed to his work with Rihanna or Nena?

Tommy does sessions and soundtracks as well, but his background in Replacements puts him on a completely different chart. I know, Fortus had the Richard Butler bands, but I'm still hard-pressed to see them as featuring any more of his own self as the latter-day groups like GNR. Tommy, however, contributed to The Mats' sound from the get-go, left markings everywhere, and thus, ensured musical identity and credibility which are difficult to ignore.

Robin, for all his technical shortcomings (at least earlier on), had NIN, which during the Downward Spiral days was particularly earnest and insistent in terms of musical integrity and live performance. Pitman's cool even by TooL association alone. Brain and Bucket had, well... Would be easier to list things they didn't have by the time they made it into GNR.

monkeychow wrote:

For my money, while paul is clearly a good writer, Fortus brings an exciting stage presence and very reliabile live abilities to the band, and i'm glad he's a member.

The funny thing is that while Fortus is not without his strengths, he's featured on the album much, much less than Paul Huge. Hell, he's been in the band since 2002 and even Ron outweights him in the liner notes!

With all due respect to his readily-apparent abilities, I consider Fortus a live member, like Frank, who did a few touches on the album. Not a significant contributor in the studio outfit by any stretch. Late arrival is not a valid excuse; Bucket and Brain have songwriting credits, and their songs do not feature Paul Huge - and Paul is practically on every song written during his time. The funny thing is, Fortus is absent as well. Robin, Ron and/or Bucket do a lot of rhythm parts.

The 2001 lineup with Ron would be something to behold as the new live act if we can't have Bucket aboard. It would bring out a real band instead of replacements (aside the obvious one) and might not even be hard to accomplish. Paul's hardly a busy man in terms of music, Robin will have his NIN tenure soon come to a close, Brain might be up for touring again.

Nothing personal against Fortus (or Frank - or Ashba), but having the original studio crew performing the CD songs as a tight unit would be better than anything Axl's current lineup (whatever it may now be) can offer - simply because they are the guys chiefly responsible for their respective parts, they know how to pull it off.

Instead, we get Mr Energizer Bunny not telling us about a cover of X Japan. You're sometimes really pushing it, Richie.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

So anyone saying this Q&A was horse shit needs to go read some of the other Q&A's given over the years by these guys, and then come back and read this one.

To be fair, I never said the Q&A was horse shit, I was complaining about the state of the band and the state of Ron in it.

I give Ron all the props in the world, nice guy, good performer, whatever -- but the thesis of the post was in the last sentence.

He's as much a part of GnR as Richard is Rhianna.

That is horse shit.

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

That's actually what I alluding to. Probably you and myself in the final round.

And I think that sucks.  Just because my passion for Guns N' Roses doesn't jive with the current situation, I'm labeled as being bad.  There's nothing bad about me.  I'm opinionated, and I believe what I believe, but 95% of the time when I say something deemed inflammatory, it isn't just some random attack on someone or something.  I back up what I say with reasoning (almost always) and facts (when possible).  Yes, some of my reasoning is taken by others as me stating a fact, but I can't control that part of it.

I think any band should be excited to have someone like me as a fan - someone that cares as much as I do about the reputation of the band and how it is viewed by others.  Maybe I shouldn't care that Axl is tarnishing the band with what he's done.  Maybe I should just say "It's okay because nobody really considers this GnR anyway" and let it go.  I can't do it. 

I think Ron is a great guy.  I'm glad he is in the mix as a touring musician.  Hopefully he'll get to write with Axl at some point.  I think he does what he can and wishes he could do more.  He is by far the best thing to happen in the current era from a PR standpoint.  He's not self promoting any more than anybody else would, in fact I'd argue he does less than most do.  He's been great, but he's not a member of Guns N' Roses any more than I am.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. You, along with gnfnraxl, James, myself, DCK, -D-, Mick, Smoking Guns, mygnrsucks... i'm sorry if i'm forgetting anyone... are what I refer to as 'realists'.

We LOVE GN'R. Probably more so than any new era nutswinger. It took me years to wrap my mind around that. Because I used to also be the Axlite, that would just call "Slashite" on someone who was old Guns... but the reality is, the fans with the most passionate love, are the ones who give constructive criticism to Axl.

It might come across as "rooting for him to fail", but it's never been that. We're rooting for him to succeed, because we love him that much. We want GN'R to be GN'R, and for that legacy to be popular. And no matter how many times Axl wants to rant and rave about "I didn't make that decision", "Slash is a cancer", blah blah blah... it was Axl who single-handedly ran the legacy of the band into the ground, simply out of spite. Just 'cause he could.

And when he's presented time and again with how to redeem himself, he continues to destroy his legacy, just to show us/the world, he can.

It all comes full circle to the same bottom line that's been out there for years...

...if Axl doesn't care - why should we?

Oh please.....there is not a "realist" on this board. We are the fringe lunatics of the worldwide Gnr fanbase. Realists don't even bother with message boards. Smoking Guns a realist? Too funny...the biggest Slash nutswinger on any site. 16 Now, I like Smokin' but he ain't a "realist". What any of us say is pure opinion...nothing more nothing less. 22

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think Ron is a great guy.  I'm glad he is in the mix as a touring musician.  Hopefully he'll get to write with Axl at some point.  I think he does what he can and wishes he could do more.  He is by far the best thing to happen in the current era from a PR standpoint.  He's not self promoting any more than anybody else would, in fact I'd argue he does less than most do.  He's been great, but he's not a member of Guns N' Roses any more than I am.

Cool...i look forward to your interview with I heart Guitar to discuss your parts 1416

I'm trying to work you out Buzz, like you I think, I  was (am) a massive fan from right back to the AFD days of GNR. So does it basicly come down to the name issue for you? Like if it had gone down different, and Axl had "quit" GNR, given the others the name, told them to go fuck themselves and started this CD project under a different brand....would you then be more open to what we have? Or you still don't like the output either? You know what i mean? Like I get u don't like CD as a GNR record, you don't like the sales of CD for GNR, you don't feel like bumble is a GNR memeber etc.....if you could get the name out of there would you like it then, or you just really dislike the sounds too?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Cool...i look forward to your interview with I heart Guitar to discuss your parts 1416

I'm trying to work you out Buzz, like you I think, I  was (am) a massive fan from right back to the AFD days of GNR. So does it basicly come down to the name issue for you? Like if it had gone down different, and Axl had "quit" GNR, given the others the name, told them to go fuck themselves and started this CD project under a different brand....would you then be more open to what we have? Or you still don't like the output either? You know what i mean? Like I get u don't like CD as a GNR record, you don't like the sales of CD for GNR, you don't feel like bumble is a GNR memeber etc.....if you could get the name out of there would you like it then, or you just really dislike the sounds too?

I like TWAT.  5

CD sucks.  I don't like the sound of it at all.  It's not like I dislike the sound because it's called GnR, I just don't like it.  I don't like Tool, I don't like a lot of "modern" rock bands.  I don't think they are musically very good. 

Would I like CD better if Slash was on it?  Probably because I tend to like his style and the songs would have sounded different, but even having said that, I didn't get into Snakepit either because it wasn't GnR and Axl wasn't singing.  I still don't listen to Snakepit and while I prefer VR to newGnR, I don't love VR mostly due to Scott, so it's not like I love everything because Slash is involved.  My favorite GnR songs are some of Axl's epics (Estranged, Coma, Civil War, etc), so it's not like I hate everything that Axl does musically.

I am mad at both Axl and Slash for letting what happened to GnR happen.  While I feel Axl is more to blame than Slash is for the breakup, they both basically caused or refused to deal with the problems.  I give Slash more of a break because he isn't out there pretending to still be GnR when it obviously isn't anymore.  If Axl went out as a solo project and played AFD, UYI and CD, I still wouldn't like the new music, but I certainly wouldn't be bothered by it because it has no impact on the band I still love.  You could argue it still doesn't have an impact, but it does to me.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I have written as many songs with Axl as he has and I am mentioned on the recording contract as often as he is.

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I like TWAT.  5

CD sucks.  I don't like the sound of it at all.  It's not like I dislike the sound because it's called GnR, I just don't like it.  I don't like Tool, I don't like a lot of "modern" rock bands.  I don't think they are musically very good. 

Would I like CD better if Slash was on it?  Probably because I tend to like his style and the songs would have sounded different, but even having said that, I didn't get into Snakepit either because it wasn't GnR and Axl wasn't singing.  I still don't listen to Snakepit and while I prefer VR to newGnR, I don't love VR mostly due to Scott, so it's not like I love everything because Slash is involved.  My favorite GnR songs are some of Axl's epics (Estranged, Coma, Civil War, etc), so it's not like I hate everything that Axl does musically.

I am mad at both Axl and Slash for letting what happened to GnR happen.  While I feel Axl is more to blame than Slash is for the breakup, they both basically caused or refused to deal with the problems.  I give Slash more of a break because he isn't out there pretending to still be GnR when it obviously isn't anymore.  If Axl went out as a solo project and played AFD, UYI and CD, I still wouldn't like the new music, but I certainly wouldn't be bothered by it because it has no impact on the band I still love.  You could argue it still doesn't have an impact, but it does to me.

Tool isn't modern rock...watch your mouth. Tool is their own beast....fuckin killer lyrics ....HUGE RIFFS...great rhythm, bass and drumming. Don't go there.....

Board footer