You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Super-Speculative Reunion Thread.

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The last time I saw GN'R was in 1993, whether it be Buenos Aires or some would argue those Izzy shows in Europe. Some would actually say Farm Aid 1990. I went to an amazing show in 2006 that was Axl Rose solo, and featured terrific performances, with a traditional Guns N' Roses attitude.

But GN'R it wasn't. I

But that's why i'm calling it semantics.

To Axl it feels like GNR, the law would call it GNR on paper, and to many fans it is GNR.

To many other fans it isn't GNR, and that is only the AFD line up, or the UYI/TSI line ups. There are different schools of thought on the name issue.

Should Axl have done it? Well...he felt it was right for him. For me - I can see both sides - part of me thinks a new name would have been more respectful to the contributions of the old members, and easier to promote the new works with as it would avoid expectations of Slash and so on. But part of me listens to TWAT and This I Love and feels they suit the GNR brand just the way Novemember Rain and Estranged did before them. Your millage may vary.

But the point is...what's in a name? Whatever "it" is, it's always had these breaks of apparent inactivity, but it runs by having a variety of people contribute musical ideas over many years, it has a tour every 3 or 4 years or so it seems, and it put out a new album last year. Currently it's named GNR, and while i can understand that the name issue is sensitive to some fans, lets not pretend it's all said and done because Robin Fink left the band or because Axl's taken a break from public life again.

Good post, I hear you. And you are right. You remind me of me, three years ago. 16

But it's not said and done for you, because you actually accept Axl and session musicians as GN'R.

That's fine, and perfectly your decision to do so.

Kind of reminds me of KISS. How many years has this war waged on with fans, that only acknowledge like 1973-1980, 1996-2000 (or whenever Ace left the reunion). Obvious the only difference is, the "face duo" of KISS (Gene & Paul) did stick together and sculpt a new band around it.

You look at GN'R as defining it's own role in the rock musical landscape. Whereas most, including myself, look at it as the template was SET back in the late 80's/early 90's, and any future incarnations or projects must follow somewhat of that template, including having most if not all original band members.

I think this attitude was even more enhanced by Axl's heavy involvement in the sculpting of the album Chinese Democracy. Sure, guys like Paul, Chris, Dizzy & Bucket brought things to the table, that Axl welcomed, but at the end of the day, he was still the Executive Producer over the whole thing, the Vince McMahon of the whole thing, and it was his ship, his direction, and his vision. That's not a band. It's a solo artist and his backing band. The fact that Ron hasn't even gotten together with Axl to write/record original songs, makes it seem even more like Axl's show.

You know there's a BIG problem when old Gunners start liking RON THAL more than Axl fucking Rose. Something skitted off the road in GN'R land.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Since you're counting Dizzy as a key guy, I stopped reading the rest of your post.  When you have something intelligent to say, don't say something idiotic before it.

Seriously Buzz, that Dizzy crack was a joke.  Sorry you missed that.  Maybe I'll throw the smiley face in there next time.  Not sure how you could honestly think I was being serious with that comment though.

I agree with the others, this argument is getting tiresome.  Like many of the other arguments.  I'm done discussing.  You go on believing there is no more GNR.  That's fine, have fun with that.  We'll have to agree to disagree, per usual.

You're tired of arguing it because quite frankly, you can't.

No that's not it.  I just don't like running around in circles.  Your mind is made up, I'm not gonna change it.  My mind is made up, and you're certainly not gonna change it.  So I'll leave it at that,,,,,, for now.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

It is just ridiculous though at this point.

As I've stated 5 million times, If Axl after everyone quit, was active, releasing music, happy and kicking ass, I'd fully support the new band and be anti reunion

Problem is, Axl has complete control and I think he is realizing maybe he should've been careful what he wished for. The fact Axl has done very little with the GNR name makes me whole heartily want a reunion just because I want my favorite band back.

I never understood how someone who claims to be a GNR fan wouldn't want to see the original lineup back together...... It just makes no sense.

I respect the new band and what they do, but God Damn, they are nowhere near the old band as far as chemistry,talent or creativity.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:

Seriously Buzz, that Dizzy crack was a joke.  Sorry you missed that.  Maybe I'll throw the smiley face in there next time.  Not sure how you could honestly think I was being serious with that comment though.

I agree with the others, this argument is getting tiresome.  Like many of the other arguments.  I'm done discussing.  You go on believing there is no more GNR.  That's fine, have fun with that.  We'll have to agree to disagree, per usual.

You're tired of arguing it because quite frankly, you can't.

No that's not it.  I just don't like running around in circles.  Your mind is made up, I'm not gonna change it.  My mind is made up, and you're certainly not gonna change it.  So I'll leave it at that,,,,,, for now.

I'm giving you the opportunity to convince me.  You're claiming that you CAN argue the point, and I'm inviting you (three times now) to do so.  Instead of taking me up on the offer, you refuse stating you won't change my mind.  Fine.  Convince someone else that this is a band without using the ticket or cd says it is claim.  I'm not the only person here and many are on the fence with this.  Convince them that this is GnR.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I was fully on board with GNR 2002. When i saw the RIR III boot, i was like HOLY FUCK, they kick ass! I even started threads about why this band WAS GNR.

Then on MTV, Bucket fuckin kicked so much ass, hell Axl was the weak link at that point.

As stated by Axlin, we got a cover band of a cover band of a cover band of the original now

We have a cover band not only for original GNR but now for CD GNR and it is just over the top and fuck jumping the shark, it smashed into the shark and blew it into a thousand pieces.

Enough is Enough

Axl can hold his grudge and be miserable, lonely and considered a failure or he can swallow his pride, patch things up and continue with GNR being the greatest band in the world again.

Slash may not move his fingers faster than Ron or Bucket, but here is something magical when Axl Rose's voice is screeching over Slash's solos and riffs and singing over top Izzy's riffs.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

GNR is a business, and nothing else.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

And always has been a business Mick. That's the reason I don't understand all of these people of, "if they reunite, they need to reunite for the right reasons" (i.e., for the love of each other).

Who loves each other? The only genuine friendships I ever saw over those years was Axl & Izzy (which is why Axl felt personally hurt when Iz left in '91), and Slash & Duff. Duff, Gilby & Dizzy were the 'good co-workers' that pretty much got along with everyone else on that level, and the drummers have always been replacable.

This whole they need to reunite for friendship bullshit, is more unrealistic and hilarious than anything a reunionite would ever come up with.

They need to reunite for the same reasons they formed back in mid 80's... money, success, fame, music, and their own ego. That's what it was always about.

At this point, GN'R as a "band" has reached "Batman & Robin" status as a movie.

mickronson

mickronson wrote:

I dunno, I think Duff and Axl were pretty tight.  Duff was the last one to get forced out and he had the whole "rose" mckagan thing.  And Duff doesnt really have any enemies or a bad bone in his body.  His only undoing back then was the booze.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Duff's undoing if anything, was he was the only man left from the old band to "check" Axl. At that point he might as well had been gone.

Axl I think kept his respect up for Duff, because of the professionalism he kept. Didn't Duff take Axl out to dinner, sat down, and explained to him what he was feeling, why he was feeling it, and that he was departing and wished him the best?

mickronson

mickronson wrote:

Thats a nice civilised way of putting forced out, but yes.  Like someone you love, no matter how much, if they piss you off enough for so long, you`ll leave.  My own personal assumption is axl had an idea, and no one was getting in the way, so out with the old, in with the new, regardless who is the old.  Axl made his mind up about them all long before they were gone.  Duff for some reason still "loves" axl, regardless, so I`m thinking he`s more of an olive branch or conduit than Izzy might be. Or them both together might do wonders.. Still, Slash is a cancer and there is no going back from that.

I cant prove it, but I think Duff "might" still talk to axl.  dont ask me how I got this conclusion.

Board footer