You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Marc Canter: "Axl was the master mind" (DailyBetter Interview)

AtariLegend wrote:

*I can't be bothered editing this post to explain what I was trying to say, so I withdraw it*

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The thing with GNR is that many of the members are talented enough on their own to be famous, and that's why it's stupid when we look at who is responsible.

Axl's voice is pretty unique, his range is awesome, his melodies beautiful, and his lyrics deep and intense. Would have been killer in any band.

Slash's guitar is beautiful, emotive and exciting. He's played with hundreds of people now and it's killer.

Izzy keeps writing great songs on his own and prefers a less public lifestyle but clearly is very talented.

Duff's shown through loaded and other projects that he was destinted to be in the music world.

Steven's tragic battle with drugs has impinged on much of his career, but I personaly enjoyed Adler's Appetitte and his drum parts on the AA EP, and as much as people bag him out, I saw him drum recently and despite the stroke he still has it, one way or another steven was going to live the rock lifestyle, he might have been lucky to meet people as talented as GNR, but he was never going to settle for a normal life.

That's what made GNR so amazing, so many kickass people bumping into each other. Axl is clearly a deep thinker and I wouldnt at all be surprised to learn he'd had a 'mastermind' plan for success, i remember a uyi rant where he talked a lot about how kids need to make plans. But it's also obvious that both he, and the rest of the band, are insanely talented folks, both seperate and together.
So i dont think it's really right to give any one person the praise or the blame for the highs and lows of GNR.

I think if Slash gets the Poison gig, he isn't Slash today

If Axl stays with Tracii Guns, I don't think we'd know him as the Axl we know him as today

Every ingredient had to be just perfect for them to be what they are and I give credit equally all the way around. Even Steven gets great credit from me cause his drumming gives something to AFD I haven't heard since

I'm sure they would've had some level of fame, but I don't think they would be the icons etc they are now.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axl S wrote:

I think what Axlin means is Izzy, Slash, Duff and Adler could all get together and start a band but no matter what it would never sound like Guns because it lacks Axl. Wheras even with a completely new lineup the songs still sound pretty much the same live and that's because they've got the guy who makes it all happen: Axl. Without his vocals they would just sound like a tribute band. A Damn good one but still a tribute band. Axl's vocals are the most defining feature of the Guns sound.

Izzy, Slash, Duff, name your drummer could go the Journey route and scour the internet for the best Axl Rose soundalike and go from there.  That Filipino dude sounds more like Steve Perry than Steve Perry himself today.  Not that they would EVER do that.  But if they did, I think some people would argue that that's more GNR than Axl's version.

And I would support that as continuing on GNR's legacy... but that's what it's gonna take. It's gonna take somebody imitating Axl better than Axl.

Scott Weiland ain't gonna get it done, and frankly, Slash's bluesy guitar being coupled with these modern melodic alt. rock singers, fucking blows.

Is the Internet in the state of imagination land at the moment or what?

I'm sorry if I sound like a sarcastic asshole but DAMN!

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Saw Journey online during the DL festival and that shit was just wrong

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

Saw Journey online during the DL festival and that shit was just wrong

I thought they sounded great actually.  My cousin was a HUGE Steve Perry/Journey fan back in the day.  I went to see them open for Def Leppard a few years ago, and a few lead singers ago too.  I told her about it and she said, "that's not really Journey though without Steve Perry."  BUT, who did she go see in concert this summer?  Journey.  Although I haven't asked her how it was, maybe she stuck to her guns and hated it.

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axl S wrote:

I think what Axlin means is Izzy, Slash, Duff and Adler could all get together and start a band but no matter what it would never sound like Guns because it lacks Axl. Wheras even with a completely new lineup the songs still sound pretty much the same live and that's because they've got the guy who makes it all happen: Axl. Without his vocals they would just sound like a tribute band. A Damn good one but still a tribute band. Axl's vocals are the most defining feature of the Guns sound.

Izzy, Slash, Duff, name your drummer could go the Journey route and scour the internet for the best Axl Rose soundalike and go from there.  That Filipino dude sounds more like Steve Perry than Steve Perry himself today.  Not that they would EVER do that.  But if they did, I think some people would argue that that's more GNR than Axl's version.

And I would support that as continuing on GNR's legacy... but that's what it's gonna take. It's gonna take somebody imitating Axl better than Axl.

Scott Weiland ain't gonna get it done, and frankly, Slash's bluesy guitar being coupled with these modern melodic alt. rock singers, fucking blows.

nice...karma. See we do see eye to eye every now and then! 16 The modern rock mix of Contraband killed it for me ...

Board footer