You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: GNR tour dates in Canada?

jorge76 wrote:
Backslash wrote:

I kind of think this is a big F.U. to the label and the Best Buy deal.  Anyone else think Axl was pissed off about that whole debacle and went into hiding until he was good and ready to do stuff on his own terms?  I mean, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I'm sure there's a lot of red tape and legal crap that's prevented them from touring until now.

The only part of that that seems right to me is Axl staying in hiding because he was pissed.  How dare they make him release the album they paid him millions to work on for 15 years!

I don't think the label would have pushed for the album to come out if there was any kind of legal things preventing them from touring.  Touring promotes the album which encourages more sales.  Which puts more money in their pockets.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Backslash wrote:

I kind of think this is a big F.U. to the label and the Best Buy deal.  Anyone else think Axl was pissed off about that whole debacle and went into hiding until he was good and ready to do stuff on his own terms?  I mean, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I'm sure there's a lot of red tape and legal crap that's prevented them from touring until now.

I don't think it's an F.U. to Best Buy, but I could certainly see it being that way toward the label.  Axl made it quite clear he wasn't happy with Universal (US).  Canada seemed to have lots more promo when the album came out, so why not go where you're wanted.  IF they can pull off a successful run through Canada and the 4 shows in Asia, then maybe they can prove they can be a commodity in the states.  I think it's quite telling there's no US dates,,,,, yet.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
Backslash wrote:

The only part of that that seems right to me is Axl staying in hiding because he was pissed.  How dare they make him release the album they paid him millions to work on for 15 years!

I don't think the label would have pushed for the album to come out if there was any kind of legal things preventing them from touring.  Touring promotes the album which encourages more sales.  Which puts more money in their pockets.

The label wiped their hands clean of the album once they got their money from Best Buy.  They could've cared less if it sold 1 copy or 1 million.  They have many other acts they can control and make a lot more money off of with a lot less effort than GNR.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Why I think they would release more singles is that they've made it clear they're touring CD, not CD part II. It would make sense to release a video and another single. Like James pointed out, it's not like this kind of thing hasn't happened before,regarding an album a year old getting another push and actually doing well.

I'm not saying this will sell more albums, but I don't think it would hurt either.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

How is playing unheard songs on a CD tour more likely than releasing singles from an album that exists?

Hey, I'm all for playing unheard tracks. Bring it on. The more the merrier. However, that isn't happening. Fans are gonna be lucky if any extra CD tracks even make the setlist. Considering its two singles were on previous sets and maybe even the third, the setlist may be identical to 2006-07.

Why promote a dead album to a casual audience who doesn't want to hear it?

If GN'R were doing theater shows or even clubs, and basically saying "The CD Show, come one, come all". Well if a 1,000-seat club is gonna take them on, only the diehards are gonna show up. Those same people would nut their pants to hear CD in it's entirity sans any old tracks. That makes sense.

The only thing that makes sense for 'new Guns' material is the next album. Not CD. It's done, it's cooked. We all wished it would've been different.

Like I said, obviously... it's NOT going to happen, either way.

I personally don't think you'll even get 2006-07. I think, best case scenario is you get a new setlist, mostly AFD with more UYI songs in place of the CD stuff. I think there's a good chance you get nothing new(er).

Never forget, these shows are marketed towards the casual audience... and what do they want to hear... the hits, the classic back catalog. Not Chinese Democracy.

misterID

misterID wrote:

But it would be exposing the album to more casual fans. That's why its the Chinese Democracy tour. Not the golden oldies tour. What will it hurt? They'd get more out of pimping this album than ignoring it and just playing oldies. I'm sure there will be people exposed to the new stuff who weren't before.

I don't understand people wanting them to ditch an album that still sold well under shitty promotion and no tour. Why give up on it when there's a chance to finally do the album some justice?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

"It's his game..."

What would it hurt to put out CD in 1999? Or 2002? Or 2006? Or tour the material in 2002? Or 2006?

One of the great mysteries of the GN'R saga.

If my uncle had wheels and peddles, he'd be a bicycle.

I don't understand why after two AFD-tribute tours, people think it's gonna change with Act III. 'Cause there's an album out there? Axl doesn't care. If he cared, he'd been playing the game back last November, he chose to stay home, and snuggle up with his Dexter DVD's.

misterID

misterID wrote:

?

Okay, you don't want it to happen, but your definition of "it" isn't really clear.

If my uncle had wheels and peddles, he'd be a bicycle.

And people need to die before we bury them.

The only argument I can make out here is, "Why bother?"  Why not?

TSI
 Rep: 2 

TSI wrote:

If your uncle had wheels and pedals he'd be locked up somewhere. We can all play the game of what if......but fact is that is was released in 2008-it is what it is, AFD took a year to hit the charts-fact! So would it be a bad thing for this tour to give CD a second wind? No-not imo. I refuse to pull a reason to bitch out of my back pocket every time ANY news comes along, I for one am glad about the tour dates and that the wheels are finally rolling. And I'll enjoy every minute of seeing GNR live in concert again!!!! Hell yeah! And what is wrong with Dexter? It's a great show!!
TSI

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

Why would you care where they play if you wouldn't go regardless?

I agree there are more shows than I anticipated.  I thought the fact they only scheduled 4 dates in Asia was a sign of things to come, ie. a limited schedule.  I guess not though.  I'd like to think they have a plan in place and will do something promotional wise to help push these shows.  But I highly doubt it.  Hope I'm wrong though.

Let's not get all "Gn'R fanboy bitchy defesive" about it. I simply suggestd a  venue that would make sense and would sell out for them. But duely noted that those who do not plan on attending need not participate in the conversation.

You can participate all you want.  I just find it amusing that some people feel the need to rain on the parade and find something negative to talk about when positive news comes about.  Never fails.

A little push would certainly help things this time around.  Whether it's formal interviews, releasing singles, a video, something, anything.  It sure would make sense.  Of course, making sense and Guns N' Roses aren't exactly synonymous, so I won't hold my breath.

It's not raining on anyone's parade dude. I was at both Alberta shows last time around. They were not well recieved and were not sellouts. Like I said I knew A LOT of people who went to those shows and belive me they were not impressed. Far from it.  I just don't see many people who went in 2006 going again. In both cases people I know were more impressed with Baz's opening set.

I'm just saying I'll be absolutely shocked if these shows go over well let alone sell well. the Red Deer suggestion is a good idea as they could play multiple shows to sell outs of roughly 9000 fans. They'd draw from Edmonton and Calgary seeing as though Red Deer is exactly an hour from each city not to mention Red Deer and the surrounding area. hell they could probably play 3 maybe 4 shows and sell them all out. It woudl be a fantastic venue and atmosphere.  Playing Rexall in Edmonton and the Saddledome in Calgary  again with  another new version of Axl and friends is  just dumb. I don't understand the  full sized arena thought process. Like I said it's obviously ego driven and Axl has no grasp on reality as to where he stands in 2009.

Board footer