You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: 1st listen to CD in awhile...

Olorin wrote:

Wasnt very impressed with what I've heard of Danko Jones, I think i'd spend the time they are on drinking and mingling.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

I love Chinese Democracy. Fact.

With a few personal tweaks it's a beyond amazing experience.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I heard a guy blasting Shackler's Revenge from his car stereo today.

Since this album came out last November, that's the first i've heard/seen someone other than myself cranking the album.

Did you find out what his user name is and which forum he posts on?

I know you were trying to be funny, and you were... but the irony... that was the FIRST thing I thought when I heard it.

Gotta be a forum geek.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:

did you guys ever try that alt tracklist that was published on here a month or 2 back?
the one with CITR & with a different running order (& with Stardust & The Lies They Tell)?

i think it's an even better album. seems to flow better - seems more accessible, like Shacklers makes more sense after Riad & the introduction of the new band with 3 rockers is more assertive..
it's the version i listen to these days... i've never been keen on CITR and that situation has only exacerbated with CD's release.. and also because my actual CD cd needs replaced, already!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Did you find out what his user name is and which forum he posts on?

I know you were trying to be funny, and you were... but the irony... that was the FIRST thing I thought when I heard it.

Gotta be a forum geek.

I always think that too. When I went down to the listening party last year I was fully expecting it to be full of forum geeks. I asked around and no one there claimed to be from a forum.

Who would want to admit to it? It's seemingly a shameful thing to be in public.

Even with the growing technology of today's generation, even though I can find out just about everything I need to about a person on MySpace or Facebook (which seemingly EVERY girl out there is), I never let on what I know, not because of stalking or some shit, but people just get embarrassed by it.

I do it, they do it, from what i've seen everyone does it. On one hand, lots of us spend hours and hours of our lives on the internet, yet if you admit to it in public, even to someone else who does the same, the first thought is... "get a life".

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Listened to the entire album tonight for the first time in months. My impressions haven't changed much. There's a number of songs that are pretty lame (Shackler's Revenge, Street of Dreams, Scraped, and Riad N' The Bedouins). I like or love the rest of the songs on the album, even though many of them are overproduced despite being good songs. All in all, it's still a much better album than 95% of the crap that is being released by the mainstream music industry these days.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
johndivney wrote:

did you guys ever try that alt tracklist that was published on here a month or 2 back?
the one with CITR & with a different running order (& with Stardust & The Lies They Tell)?

i think it's an even better album. seems to flow better - seems more accessible, like Shacklers makes more sense after Riad & the introduction of the new band with 3 rockers is more assertive..
it's the version i listen to these days... i've never been keen on CITR and that situation has only exacerbated with CD's release.. and also because my actual CD cd needs replaced, already!

I'm used to the sequence now, I made up a alternate version at first with what I thought was a better flow. But now I actually like the way the album version runs, I think Sorry kills it a bit though, that song sticks out like a sore thumb.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

All right.  I gave this bad biy a listen for the 1st time in a while.  I am not sure if this review will be different from my 1st one but here it goes.

1)Chinese Democracy: Still one of my favorite tracks from this album and one of my favorite GNR/Axl songs.  Just a good opening song.  I give this a 4.5 out of 5.

2)Shackler's Revenge:  While I do not hate this song as much as some do in here I still say this is not a very good song.  Show's that Axl was really influenced by the industrial sound but sadly Axl doesn't do a good job at trying to make an industrial song.  Has a kind of dance beat to this.  Anyways I clearly could've done without that song but not an abomination either. 2 out of 5.

3)Better: This version is way over produced and is filled with flaws all over it.  While this song has grown on me this time around I think it would've helped the album and maybe even the success of this song as a single had we gotten a previous version that was not tinkered as much and less flawed.  Still I'll be fair and give this a 3,5.

4)Street of dreams:  My opinion of this song changed when I saw them in 06.  And this version is good.  My major complain about it is Axl's whining voice in the begining.  Almost kills the entire song.  Should've redone the vocals on this.  But I'll be fair again and give this a 3.

5)If the world:  This is without a doubt one of the best tracks on this album and one of 2 songs I actually wish Slash would've played on.  Why?  Cause this is the kind of song where we could judge who is actually better between Bucket and Slash.  This song is single material and is one of the few highlights on this record.  4.5.

6)There was a time: A very good song with good guitar work.  Shame this isn't played live.  I liked this song and I'll give this a 4.

7)Catcher in the Rye:  While I did not hate this song as much as I did when I bought the album I still think it's a shame we didn't get the version with Brian May on it.  One of the main problems with this song is that too much was added in this.  And it's a shame cause this could've been the best track of the album.  I'll give this a 3 but would've gotten a 4.5 or a 5 if Axl hadn't played around with this track so much.  What a waste.

8)Scraped.  While this song is not bad and the lyrics would be good if it came from another band.  BUT the "Don't you try to stop us now" in this has to be one of the greatest jokes ever to be put on a band's record and sadly I feel it wasn't meant as a joke.  Could've been an anthem song but it just doesn't stick to this band.  I'll give this a 3 only because some of the lyrics on this song still makes me laugh.

9)Riad and the Bedouins:  Awesome song and it shows that Axl has evolved as an artist contrary to some of his former bandmates.  This album could've used more songs like this.  4.

10)Sorry:  Well Axl I do not accept your appologie on this track.  This song clearly should've been left out of this album.  Ithas a good sound at first but gets repetitive after a few seconds and very annoying.  Plus the lyrics suck big time.  2 out of 5.

11)IRS:I actually dug this song this time around.  Sure it is not his best work lyrically but it has a catchy sound.  Not a classic but still a good song.  A 3 for the effort.

12)Madagascar: This song could've been another classic but the MLK quotes drown the fantastic Bucket solo.  Not a terrible song but another song that may have suffered from too much tinkering.  I'll give this a 2.5 but could've gotten a better rating had it been left alone.

13)This I Love: This song begs to have Slash play on this.  Axl laid some of his best vocal work on this record but the guitar work so lacks emotion on this.  The solos are just plain and ordinary.  If Slash would've played on this I think we'd have another November Rain or another Estranged.  The guitar work on this definitely needed Slash's emotions and soul.  I'll give this a 3 but with Slash it would've gotten a definite 5.

14)Prostitute: God I hate that song!  Pure torture to my ears.  Why?  I can't quite put my finger on it but clearly I do not wanna hear that song ever again.  Unless it's live.  Worst song on the album.  I'll give this a 1.5.

So overall I give this record a 3 out of 5 stars rating.  It's not a bad record but it's not a great record either.  It's just ok.  And I know some of you will hate this comment but for a record that took this long to be released it definitely should've been better.  So not terrible but to me this album will be forgotten within a couple years.  And it's a shame cause some songs do have some great potential on this album.

Board footer