You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

faldor wrote:

For me, filler is hard to come by for the bands I like.  I can listen to most of those CD's without wanting to skip over (m)any songs.  It's the albums I bought because I liked a few songs and found out I didn't like the rest.  Those albums are loaded with filler, in my mind.

But again, I know there's some actual definition for filler and even songs I like fall under that category.

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Faldor, if "Shotgun Blues" was on AFD... they'd beat off all over it.

It's no better or worse than Anything Goes. Neither is GITR.

Scraped & Riad are the B-sides on CD, and they are still decent songs. They're not 'awful' per say.

who are "they"? Anything Goes is crap as well....chuck Think About You while we are at it also.:thumbup:

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

What does grunge have to do with the Alt rock movement? That movement started way before 1992. And Kurt was never known, or never tried to be a "great" guitarist. Why people have to constantly bring him up is beyond me. There's a really weird obsession with him and "grunge" amongst GNR fans.

And out of the Alt rock movement, Dave Navarro blows away both Slash and Mustaine.

Shotgun Blues sucks, Axlin. And I think that whether it was on AFD or not. And while we're at it:

Anything Goes sucks.

Out Ta Get Me sucks.

Think About You sucks.

Janes Ritual and Chili Peppers BSSM are better than UYI. And yes, its because of the bloated filler. And that's my opinion.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Scraped & Riad are the B-sides on CD, and they are still decent songs. They're not 'awful' per say.

This is a good example of my point. I think Scraped and Riad are great songs. I think one of the things about GNR is that, perhaps because there's so many styles mixed in, or maybe for some other reason, it's very hard to get consensus on what are the best tunes really.

For example, the only song I'm not a big fan of on CD is 'Sorry' and I don't mind it, i just find i tire of it much more than the other songs, I'd nornally skip it, yet i've read a ton of posts on here saying that it's the best track of the album.

In contrast, I think out to get me is killer but MisterID doesn't like it and i'd guess skips it. And i'm pretty sure the same thing happens whenever we look at the UYI tracks. 

misterID wrote:

And out of the Alt rock movement, Dave Navarro blows away both Slash and Mustaine.

I have nothing against Navarro....but I don't think so.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Good one MrID.  What is Navarro doing with himself these days anyway???

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I have nothing against Navarro....but I don't think so.

yeah navarro can play circles around mustaine 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

LOL!!!Okaaay. So, Dave Navarro's body of work, including Deconstruction which puts him in whole other universe amongst guitarists, should be judged against Mustaine just on that 2 minute metal/riff clip? 16

There's no comparing Mustaine and Navarro in my mind. And Slash struggled covering STP songs. What does it mean? Probably not a whole lot, seeing its all based on what you dig. But that clip as a point of argument really gave me a laugh... And I know you weren't saying to judge the 2 from that clip, neemo, but its still funny that clip would make its way into a debate.

And Buzz, he's playing with the little band called Janes Addiction who's on tour with Nine Inch Nails... Yeah, that's what he's doing.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Comparing Jane's and Megadeth is pretty impossible. I'm sure both guys can do plenty of things that the other cannot, and it's really a matter of taste. My preference is solidly in Jane's favor, but I'm not going to get in a fight over which guitarist is better (not to mention Navarro's non-Jane's work, which accounts for the majority of his career really).

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
madagas wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Faldor, if "Shotgun Blues" was on AFD... they'd beat off all over it.

It's no better or worse than Anything Goes. Neither is GITR.

who are "they"? Anything Goes is crap as well....chuck Think About You while we are at it also.:thumbup:

Think About You is underrated.

misterID wrote:

What does grunge have to do with the Alt rock movement?

Umm, maybe the fact that the grunge format dominated alt. rock radio in the early 90's?

misterID wrote:

That movement started way before 1992.

So did metal, so guess Metallica get credit for nothing. So did hard rock, so Guns N' Roses was a bunch of unoriginal copycats.

I'm not saying that's what you're saying, but we both know sometimes people correlate a certain sound with a certain artist even though previous people were already doing it.

misterID wrote:

And Kurt was never known, or never tried to be a "great" guitarist. Why people have to constantly bring him up is beyond me. There's a really weird obsession with him and "grunge" amongst GNR fans.

Or maybe the fact that the WORLD, and HISTORY has written him down as THE ICON of that entire genre and era of rock music.

That's not a GN'R fan thing. That's a MUSIC HISTORY thing.

I'm sure other pianists were working up Beethoven's work before him too, but sometimes certain people just popularize a sound.

misterID wrote:

The only thing Dave Navarro blows, or used to, is Carmen Electra's pussy.

Slash owns him on guitar.

And Mustaine owns Slash.

misterID wrote:

Shotgun Blues sucks, Axlin. And I think that whether it was on AFD or not.

It's not my favorite song either, but it's not 'bad'. I can think of MANY bad songs by tons of worthless artists that make SG Blues look like a masterpiece.

misterID wrote:

And while we're at it:

Anything Goes sucks.

It's the weakest track on AFD, but it does not suck. It's an 'average' track.

misterID wrote:

Out Ta Get Me sucks.

I will agree that song doesn't have the same potency on me now in 2009, that it did when I originally heard it, but it's a good B-side type rocker. It would've been a huge track on the UYI albums.

I really think it's potency gets slammed hard by the fact it follows Jungle, It's So Easy, Nightrain, and goes before Mr. Brownstone & Paradise City, which hurts it being surrounded by AMAZING rockers.

misterID wrote:

Think About You sucks.

Same situation as OTGM. This song is a good ballad, in a sea of rockers. Had Sweet Child never existed, Think About You would've had more potency on AFD. Unfortuanately for it, and fortunately for us, the listener, it opens for Sweet Child. When that definitive ballad hits, it makes Think About You look like a piece of shit.

I feel bad for the song. It's underrated and good, but it just gets it's balls ripped from it so quickly.

Trust me, if Don't Cry, a cut AFD track, had went on before Sweet Child, it would've greatly subtracted Don't Cry's significance on that respective album.

misterID wrote:

Janes Ritual and Chili Peppers BSSM are better than UYI. And yes, its because of the bloated filler. And that's my opinion.

No they ain't. Not by a long shot. Although I will say the filler does indeed hurt UYI I & II's ability to compete with other albums of the same time period.

I was listening to Dirt the other day and thinking, "this is best album of the early 90's". I love every track on that album. Every single one.

But, and yes, it's a "but", we all know if UYI had been combined into one single album, it would've been a masterpiece that would've made AFD look lightweight, let alone CD.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I'm bored of this who owns who game.

To tell the truth, Izzy owns Axl. So does Duff. Both are better singers. You may find it utterly stupid, but I have a friend who has this strange opinion. Opinions are like assholes, anyway.

Board footer