You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Re-emergance of Axl Rose

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Madagas said it... if you don't support their actions, don't support them. If they don't care, you don't care, show them you don't.

We got to stop dickin' around and get down to putting our money where our mouth is. I'm thinkin' boycott...

Plenty of people have already taken that stance and so far it hasn't changed anything for the better.  I don't see that as a viable option.  GNR isn't nearly as big as they once were, they don't sell tickets, CD's, etc. like they used to.  But they still do whatever it is they do, whenever they want to do it.  You're never gonna get EVERYONE to abstain.  There will always be enough people to justify a tour or anything along those lines.  People were screaming for them to tour smaller venues and limit the cities they play.  They go and schedule a full scale Canadian tour in large arenas.  They're not gonna change their business dealings because a few people decide they're not going to go across the street to see them.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Well technically it's already worked. Some could theorize GNR's decline and lack of interest in 2009-10, and Chinese Democracy, could be attributed to a sub-conscious boycott, based on the lack of original players. I've known people for years that have stayed away from the new band and their works in spades, because "it's not really GNR" being the classic excuse.

I actually made that statement to corner my own statements, not that of encourging Guns to suffer. The point is, me, others, whoever has a grievence, sits here and shoots off, but at the end of the day, what does it mean? Nothing, unless you're willing to back it up.

Obviously Axl Rose will always be able to at least book House of Blues shows. He's Axl freakin' Rose. That won't change. And even when he's old, and WAY past his prime, he'll still be able to do PBS concerts. The man will always have a slight pulse on the heart machine.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Axl could be a Vegas headliner.  Some of those shows don't start until midnight anyway if he can get them to approve a one show per day schedule.  Someone would sign him up - well, until his first no show.

OK, now being serious.  I actually think that is the biggest reason I haven't bought CD.  Not conciously, but as much as I sit here and try to play nice, this isn't Guns N' Roses.  I know it.  Everybody I know knows it.  I had a laugh at my temp job with one of their IT guys about GnR...even he said it isn't really GnR.  It has nothing to do with the price of the album, it has to do with a personal choice not to support this band financially.  I honestly wouldn't even want someone to give it to me for Christmas.  I just don't want it.  I have it on my mp3 player, and for some reason I can justify that since I don't really "own" the CD.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The problem with Axlin08's boycot theory, is that even if a critical mass somehow protested changes to the band by avoiding ALL gnr products (tours, merch, etc etc) to the point where the band was ubable to continue....I don't think you'd get your demands out of it. 

Be it a reunion/ proper marketing / whatever it is the boycot is in support of - you wont get it. The history of GNR and from what I can see of Axl's whole life according to the media - it all shows one thing - Axl does what he wants to do pretty much regardless of external influences.

If you forced his hand by making the current GNR colapse...I honestly believe he'd probably just retire and we'd have nothing at all.

The sad thing is I wish there'd been a name change just so fans like Buzz could allow themselves to enjoy the album. You seem to like TWAT a lot and think 1 or 2 others are passable from memory, am i right to think if the whole thing had gone down as an offical side project of Axl and wasn't packaged as GNR you'd probably have bought it?

For me I just see the new GNR as a different beast. It's surely not the GNR I loved in 88 with Slash and the boys. But I like CD a lot, and I think bumble and ashba will rock out the new tracks live....and when it comes down to it...if its a good show and good tunes...i can forget the name issue. I mean we all know its a new entity, if they insist on calling it the old one...its like whatever man...a good song is a good song to me.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It depends on how you look at it.  There are a lot of days that I'd rather have nothing than what we have now.  One song worthy of the name is hardly worth the damage being done.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axl is GNR for me.

My favorite line up is gone and is never getting back together. Accepted. Moved on.

As long as Axl is there I'm still interested, even if I have nothing invested in the current line up.

It is what it is.  The rest doesn't mean anything. Boycotting is pointless. And so is griping about the name.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Axl could be a Vegas headliner.  Some of those shows don't start until midnight anyway if he can get them to approve a one show per day schedule.  Someone would sign him up - well, until his first no show.

OK, now being serious.  I actually think that is the biggest reason I haven't bought CD.  Not conciously, but as much as I sit here and try to play nice, this isn't Guns N' Roses.  I know it.  Everybody I know knows it.  I had a laugh at my temp job with one of their IT guys about GnR...even he said it isn't really GnR.  It has nothing to do with the price of the album, it has to do with a personal choice not to support this band financially.  I honestly wouldn't even want someone to give it to me for Christmas.  I just don't want it.  I have it on my mp3 player, and for some reason I can justify that since I don't really "own" the CD.

Not to mention the COUNTLESS radio DJ's across America that made it their life's goal to BURY CD & Better as singles. Sure, no videos, no interviews, no performances, and no marketing pushes on Axl's part didn't help, because even they felt "if Axl doesn't care, why should we?"

But I can remember when CD, the single, came out and listening to it on the day of release, and hearing radio DJ's on multiple modern rock stations encourging their listeners to NOT request the song, and to NOT buy the album, because Axl is a jerk, and it's not really Guns N' Roses.

In 2008.

They are dead convinced he's the man that stands in the way of a reunion, and Slash's comments have not helped. I have NEVER believed that Axl is the sole problem when it comes to the terms of a reunion. They are all a bunch of a spoiled divas.

But perception is reality, and the perception is that Axl wanted a war with the audience, and Axl's attitude towards not playing the game with these people, especially in radio, just enhances the negativity towards him.

monkeychow wrote:

The problem with Axlin08's boycot theory, is that even if a critical mass somehow protested changes to the band by avoiding ALL gnr products (tours, merch, etc etc) to the point where the band was ubable to continue....I don't think you'd get your demands out of it. 

Be it a reunion/ proper marketing / whatever it is the boycot is in support of - you wont get it. The history of GNR and from what I can see of Axl's whole life according to the media - it all shows one thing - Axl does what he wants to do pretty much regardless of external influences.

If you forced his hand by making the current GNR colapse...I honestly believe he'd probably just retire and we'd have nothing at all.

The sad thing is I wish there'd been a name change just so fans like Buzz could allow themselves to enjoy the album. You seem to like TWAT a lot and think 1 or 2 others are passable from memory, am i right to think if the whole thing had gone down as an offical side project of Axl and wasn't packaged as GNR you'd probably have bought it?

For me I just see the new GNR as a different beast. It's surely not the GNR I loved in 88 with Slash and the boys. But I like CD a lot, and I think bumble and ashba will rock out the new tracks live....and when it comes down to it...if its a good show and good tunes...i can forget the name issue. I mean we all know its a new entity, if they insist on calling it the old one...its like whatever man...a good song is a good song to me.

The sad part is CD really is a Guns N' Roses album.

It has that attitude. It has that feel. It feels like a GN'R entry into their studio catalog.

Obviously the industrial rockers are the stand outs, but the ballads, if it was the original band on them, everyone would be talking "epic comeback".

Some of my favorite GN'R songs ever, have come off of CD. It's a worthy album, and frankly, a more satisfying experience as a whole, than UYI.

But obviously Axl would've avoided ALOT of turmoil, if he'd of just marketed it as an Axl Rose solo album. However with that being said, he also wouldn't have gotten the budget, leanancy, and all around good poker hand, if he hadn't of played carte blanche with the GN'R brand name.

In hind sight, him securing the rights to the name all those years ago, despite the responsibility it entailed, was a brilliant business move. It was his sole bargaining chip of power in the late 90's/early 2000's, and the ONLY reason BB bit on that exclusive deal.

Would I have bought it if it was a solo album? Absolutely. I'm an Axl Rose fan, good or bad, and he was my favorite in the old days. I've only followed this saga all these years, because I was a sucker for Axl. If I was a Slash fan, I would've jumped ship in '96, or at least when VR hit the street.

buzzsaw wrote:

It depends on how you look at it.  There are a lot of days that I'd rather have nothing than what we have now.  One song worthy of the name is hardly worth the damage being done.

Nah, GN'R will survive. Most people don't even know they still exist, and technically they don't. CD was a blip on the radar, and if Axl continues to not play the game and push his own product, his next album (whenever that is), will sell even less. The world doesn't view this as Guns N' Roses. Never has. Never will. As far as they are concerned, they've blocked the memory or lack thereof with this new band concept, and GN'R performed their final show in Buenos Aires in 1993.

The old band, or at least UYI-studio band could perform the Grammy's and the world would flip the fuck out. Hell, even fanboys like Metallica would shit themselves.

christina_rose
 Rep: 15 

misterID wrote:

Axl is GNR for me.

My favorite line up is gone and is never getting back together. Accepted. Moved on.

As long as Axl is there I'm still interested, even if I have nothing invested in the current line up.

It is what it is.  The rest doesn't mean anything. Boycotting is pointless. And so is griping about the name.

I 100% agree and couldn't have said it any better myself.

I for one am really excited for this tour to kick off. I'm looking forward to Axl being back out on the scene.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I think we all are. We love the man too much to not see him active, and I think at the end of the day, that's what we all want. An active GN'R, Axl and whoever the fuck else with him to be out there, performing, recording, kickin' ass. 9

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Not to mention the COUNTLESS radio DJ's across America that made it their life's goal to BURY CD & Better as singles. Sure, no videos, no interviews, no performances, and no marketing pushes on Axl's part didn't help, because even they felt "if Axl doesn't care, why should we?"

But I can remember when CD, the single, came out and listening to it on the day of release, and hearing radio DJ's on multiple modern rock stations encourging their listeners to NOT request the song, and to NOT buy the album, because Axl is a jerk, and it's not really Guns N' Roses.

In 2008.

They are dead convinced he's the man that stands in the way of a reunion, and Slash's comments have not helped. I have NEVER believed that Axl is the sole problem when it comes to the terms of a reunion. They are all a bunch of a spoiled divas.

But perception is reality, and the perception is that Axl wanted a war with the audience, and Axl's attitude towards not playing the game with these people, especially in radio, just enhances the negativity towards him.

This is someone who knows what he's talking about.

Stand by it, and agree to all of it.

Board footer