You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Re: Slash: New Album Release And Tour Set For March/April

Gong wrote:

I predict that VR will stay on the backburner until the inevitable nostalgia kicks in (around 2014) and demand for a "reunion" begins to turn into a dull roar.

At that point we'll see Slash, Matt, Duff, Dave and Scott Weiland reunite for their 3rd and final album/tour.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing Scott come back in the end.  I haven't been thrilled with ANY of the names mentioned so far.  Some of the more interesting names mentioned don't make any sense, since they're bigger themselves or are in bands bigger than VR already.

They may have burned their bridges with Scott though, not sure they could work together amicably again.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think we all know the "frontman" that Slash wants to tour with... it's just he could care less.

VR will have no "nostalgia" factor. It'd be like White Lion touring. If Slash resurrects it, it'd be at 'start at the bottom' thing again, probably with the same players, but less fan fare. I doubt Weiland would come back. He's gonna be tied to STP forever, and at this point will probably stick with that for the rest of his career.

They want GN'R full time, and a solo gig on the side, and they're not being allowed that. At their age, i'm sure security, a steady gig, and a fading interest makes GN'R seem safe. Shame.

I don't see them working with Scott again. I just don't. I see them with Axl again before Scott.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
faldor wrote:

I don't believe we are anywhere close to seeing VR reform.  Unless Slash's solo album/tour flops.  Until he's done having fun and doing his thing, VR is a distant memory.

I agree. Although if his solo album does flop (which I don't think it will. In fact I think it will do quite well. 2 or 3 hits with sales similar to ACDC & Metallicas last), then I still think VR takes more time off. A year of inactivity, a year of talking & searching, and a year of production/recording, you're looking at 2013 or so yikes!!

VR is basically toast unfortunately. And I agree Axlin08 I don't see Scott with Slash again. Myb a show or appearance years down the road, but no recording stuff. Ideally I'd like if they ever recreated VR for them to do an acoustic Travelling Wilbury's type thing. (and that's if there's no shot at a GNR reunion)

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

VR is purely Slash's fallback position.  He is gonna do this solo thing for as long and hard as he can and see where it takes him.  If that eventually runs it's course then he may relook at VR failing anything else coming up.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

What he said.

In some ways, VR is currently where GNR was with Snakepit, Mk 1. By this I mean that IFOCS was born out of Slash's frustration while working with a democratic band. The reasons behind this frustration are case-specific on both accounts and I'm not single-handedly suggesting that Slash would be 'unable' to work in a band unit. But at both times, he definitely felt the urge to break from free from constraints imposed upon him by others and to make an album on his own accord. That, followed by a healthy amount of touring.

How this venture differs from GNR/Snakepit? For one, VR has currently no record deal and they have no label incentive to rush Slash back from his tour. Secondly, there's no frontman itching to get VR back together. If/when Slash gets around to reforming VR, they need to pick up the pieces and start from scratch. A vocalist needs to be locked down and a good chunk of demos needs to be recorded with him. All this after Slash comes back from his tour.

Slash goes out in March/April, '10. I expect him to tour up until the end of the year, which means any tangible VR activity will be pushed up to 2011. That's three years after Scott's dismissal. Depending how Slash's solo album goes, things might get interesting. If Slash has a diamond and his solo career skyrockets, one possibility is to recruit Duff, Matt and Dave as full-time members of 'Slash' and whip out a new album with them. Slash's own name would carry more weight than that of VR at this point and they could have a carte blanche to go for a top vocalist.

Then agan, they might not go for a Name. Slash had a larger than life frontman with Axl and Scott (while not as iconic) shares many characteristics with Redhead. Slash wouldn't like to be pushed aside by the frontman, who'd pick producers who in turn would have the tendency to turn Slash down in the mix. Slash wants to be up and front, stage right. No questions asked. This would exclude the career resurrection of Chris Cornell, among others. A supergroup would be out of the cards as opposed to a bulk of guys who've been playing together on and off for 18 years now.

VR also carries an uneasy history due to the name. What people currently remember is the drama surrounding Weiland and the lukewarm reception of Contraband. If the next incarnation of VR would morph into the next Slash band, they'd have a clean slate. Slash would've proven his worth and value on the first album and would be the undisputed leader of the pack. The VR boys would rack up the interest level and would do well to lend a firm rhythm section to back him up - probably the best he can get if we discount the AFD lineup as a pipedream.

The vocalist? Franky Perez.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

GN'R a democratic band in 1994? I stopped reading there.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Big surprise.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/po … ack/484992

Looks like us Aussies get the Alice track as well. Shame it's via an mp3 link though, I'd much prefer to have it on the disc.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/po … ack/484992

Looks like us Aussies get the Alice track as well. Shame it's via an mp3 link though, I'd much prefer to have it on the disc.

Interesting that they say this in the short write up as well...
Singer Axl Rose is the only original Guns N' Roses member absent from the Slash line-up.

It's like they have to take a jab at Axl for no apparent reason.

Board footer