You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Slash: New Album Release And Tour Set For March/April

metallex78 wrote:

I think if the individual songs can get airplay, particularly the ballad-type stuff, then yeah, I this will sell pretty good. Not sure if By The Sword was the right track to lead things off though, I reckon the Fergie track would've gotten instant radio play everywhere!

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Prob saving the fergie track for when the record is out to release it was a single. I like most of the songs from the samples.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I like the Astbury track. The Ozzy track is pretty good. Love that solo it breaks into. Watch This sounds great. Instrumental Slash is my wet dream. The Iggy Pop song is a gem. I like the M. Shadows song. Sounds like some of Slash's fastest playing ever. Impressive.

The rest, I'll be honest, don't excite me at all. I don't get the love for the Fergie track. It doesn't showcase her singing, at least that clip, at all. Sounds like crap, frankly. It's like the singing I used to do as a kid when I thought I sounded cool. Drawing out the wrong syllables and shit.

All those ballads with Rocco, Adam, Myles,  Kid Rock, pure turnoffs. I was hoping more from the Lemmy collaboration. Same with the Cornell one. Wasted opportunity. What's up with Cornell's voice. Sounds like he's holding back or trying something new.

Chains and Shackles and Paradise City, garbage.

By the Sword was the wrong single to lead with. It's getting no airplay in my region (Chicago, not exactly a small market).

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I'm surprised no-one else has picked up on the riff in the track Ghost that was taken straight from the VR demo Pleasin with Brad Cox, that was recorded before Scott joined.

Yeah it's not the first time Slash has re-cycled parts that he got sick of waiting to use. I mean i think (might be wrong) Axl's camps version of the "It's 5'Oclock Somewhere" issue was that they liked some of the riffs, wanted to contribute to the songs, then had an argument over changes and slash went ahead without him. But a better example is "Aint Life Grand"'s title track. I don't have the interview at hand...but I remember reading Slash saying that he recorded the same riffs previously for some charity compelation album or soemthing. Then they started messing around with the release of that...and he waited a couple of years, now he's sick of waiting so just reworked the song into a snakepit tune for that release. So i wouldn't be surprised if it's a similar situtation...he has some guitar riffs floating around and they're looking fot a home.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yah i'm reserving judgment till i head the full cornell track...but I was hoping for something showing off his power and range more...ala slaves and bulldozers...and I think this may turn out to be a bit ballady...but we'll see...hard to tell from 10 seconds!

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Very impressed with those clips. Beautiful Dangerous, Crucify the Dead, Back from Cali, Doctor Alibi, and Paradise City the turds of the bunch.

The Cornell track isn't what I was expecting unfortunately.

That Cornell track is astounding from that 10 second preview. You cannot expect the man to relive past glories. That ain't how Chris works. It sounds completely original to me to be honest.

Anyway, it sounds like a killer album

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I like Ghost. Want to hear more.
Crucify The Dead. Typical cheesy Ozzie. Good guitar work.  Overall: Meh.
Beautiful Dangerous -- A preview of what a Slash Motley Crue would sound like 16
Back From Cali... Okay.
Promise sad Sounds okay. Was hoping for so much more.
By The Sword. I hate that guy. Wish Cornell got this music. And Crucify The Dead.
Gotten. Not a Maroon 5 fan, but sounds okay. Another I wish Cornell had.
Doctor Alibi. Okay. Wish Cornell was on this one, too.
Watch This. Really sounds good. Want to hear more.
I Hold On. Jesus Christ, I hate Kid Rock. Should've had Cornell instead 16
Nothing To Say. Hmmm. Need to hear more. Interesting.
Starlight. Not impressed. I'm afraid if I hear anymore I may need to make sure I still have a penis afterwards.
Saint Is A Sinner. I like it. Pretty mellow stuff. Want to hear more.
We're All Gonna Die. That's Iggy? meh, disappointing.
Chains And Shackles. Meh. Not very impressed.
Paradise City. What the fuck? GNR meets the Love Boat booze cruise, Vegas Style, tomorrow night Wayne Newton featuring Puff daddy!

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

the whole thing seems ok at best... we shall see

any guesses as to which track adler's playing on?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

the whole thing seems ok at best... we shall see

any guesses as to which track adler's playing on?

There's no guesses, he's on the bonus track Baby Can't Drive with Alice Cooper, Flea and the Pussycat Dolls skank.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

My first impressions (well, not that first, I listened the clips 5 times):

Ghost - expected more. Sounds like a VR track with a better singer and rhythm guitarist tongue
Crucify the Dead - nothing special, it's like a better Ozzy track.
Beautiful Dangerous - a potential hit. Fergie did a great job, catchy verse and chorus, I really like it.
Back from Cali - didn't like it at first, but the song grew on me. Good, but not great.
Promise - I really like it! Another potential single.
By The Sword - good song, but I don't know why it was chosen as the first single. There is better material.
Gotten - another song with huuuuuuge single potential. I can see and hear stations playing the shit out of it. I smell a memorable Slash solo!
Dr. Alibi - meh. Slash writes a song like this in every 5 minutes.
Watch this - sounds amazing! really looking forward to it.
Hold On - nothing special. Good, but far from great.
Nothing to say - sounds interesting. Slash is really ripping 21 Can't wait to hear the full song, especially the solo.
Starlight - I like the guitars, but the singing is too much of a hard rock cliche.
Saint Is A Sinner - possibly the best track on the album. Can be a classic.
We're All Gonna Die - sounds mediocre
Chains and Shackles - good enough to be a bonus
PC - I hate the fact he covered his own song, although the result is listenable. Fergie is the first person on Earth, who can sing it well (besides Axl, of course). But for fuck's sake, I have enough problems with another guys covering Guns N' Roses material that doesn't mean shit to them, please no more annoying re-think of GN'R songs.

Overall it points to a great album. Not something 'deep and meaningful', not a classic for the next decades, but let's face it, these 'all-star' albums are never can be. It's listenable, well-written and catchy. Like it meant to be. I think I'll like it even more when I hear the full songs, cause we haven't got a note from those (supposedly) magnificent solos, we don't know the intros, how the songs build up etc. It'll be great. 9

Board footer