You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Axl Interview w Korean Newspaper (Unconfirmed)

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I'm tryin' to be nice... I really am. 14

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

"....If they would put out a soundboard like others do up on their site I'd probly download it even buy it...."

A lot of people/fans assume that it is entirely up to Axl/GNR when it comes to releasing music, either live or studio recordings. Either as official products for sales in stores or, as Nine Inch Nails does, as free downloads on torrent-sites.

Axl/GNR is under contract, Trent Reznor is not. And being under contract basicly means that Axl is given money to record music for the label. The label then has the right to distribute that product as they see fit. And we all know that convincing a recordlabel that giving away music/video for free is a smart buisness-model, is not the easiest thing in the world. Sadly!  sad

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Good point.

Although my understanding is that the band pro-films most shows anyway (so i've read on here anyway). If this is the case, then the costs of creating content - such as offical live video 'boots' to sell on the website would be minimal - limited to editiors, and setting the website up with a commerce platform.

In such a senario, if profits were then split between artist and label according to GNR's recording contract, I can see very limited reason for the label to object, it's basicly free money and promo for them.

In short, I can see why they wouldn't back free product, but something like metallica does, where offical live shows are able to be purchased, would be a win-win for everyone. Band, label, and Fans.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

^ No doubt

Trent Reznor has been doing this for some time now. And his philosophy seems to be: "give the fans all they can eat, that's the way to build goodwill and get people to the shows where we actually make some money"

From what I understand, new bands that gets signed today has to split the money that touring and merch brings in WITH the recordlabel.

It might be that GNR are under an "old" contract, that leaves the label with zero income during touring. So they prolly go: "Why would we wanna support something that doesn't generate any cashflow our way"

Once something new is released, it's basicly free anyway for people who don't wanna pay up.

And seeing how much money Universal has thrown at GNR during 1994-2008 and how they barely found a way to recoup that money, I can understand that they would wanna "limit their losses"....

Sad for us fans! But it is what it is!

Edit to add: go to diggdialog.com and watch the interview Kevin Rose did with Reznor. A good interview with lots of good arguments regarding recording-artists in the digital age!  smile

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Axl was given 14 million bucks. If he spent all that to one album, well, then he has no reason to cry if he doesn't get the same cash next time. But I don't see the evil record company behind the 17-year long silence. Their only fault was giving too much money and time to Axl. A law suit in 2001 would have speeded up the process.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ Good point.

Although my understanding is that the band pro-films most shows anyway (so i've read on here anyway). If this is the case, then the costs of creating content - such as offical live video 'boots' to sell on the website would be minimal - limited to editiors, and setting the website up with a commerce platform.

In such a senario, if profits were then split between artist and label according to GNR's recording contract, I can see very limited reason for the label to object, it's basicly free money and promo for them.

In short, I can see why they wouldn't back free product, but something like metallica does, where offical live shows are able to be purchased, would be a win-win for everyone. Band, label, and Fans.

Not sure if this is the case, but some bands limit their releases so fans don't have to shell out so much money to buy everything that's out there.  And a band like Kiss comes out with anything and everything and make it into a Kiss product.  Other bands come out with 7 different versions of greatest hits packages.  I didn't buy GNR's Greatest Hits because a) the band didn't approve and b) I already had all the songs except for "Sympathy for the Devil" on the original discs.

Now I'd love for them to sell concerts in audio or video form and I'd be all over them, at least some.  But it's possible they're in the camp of limiting their releases for the sake of the fans.  I mean, they obviously would make more money by doing so.  And everyone loves money, no matter how much they already have.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I'm sure the fans can handle more than one release every 15 years.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Of original material yes, but I didn't buy the ONLY Greatest Hits compilation they released, so I certainly wouldn't have bought multiple versions unless there was something exclusive on them.

Obviously hardcore fans would buy most anything they put out there.  There is a market, they would make money.  But they've never been known to put out lots of material, even with the original lineup.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

Explain to me how the record co. would lose $$ by putting "Silkworms" up on iTunes.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

If it's all about the record company, then they are the biggest morons this side of the Mississippi.

Live shows soundboards available for download for a small price on the website or on iTunes would sell easy, and there's no production costs, and at least they and the band would be making SOME money, rather than NO money.

Or GN'R can do what they did back in the day.... release boots into the pirate world themselves.

Board footer