You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: GN'R Twitter Updates

Olorin wrote:

Mabye it would just end up a bit manky?

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Tommy:

i'm deeply saddened by the news of alex chiltons death . a truly sad day . been a year of major losses ..Jim Dickenson,DonSmith and now Alex    about 3 hours ago   via TweetDeck   

sad night in uruguay . vodka or whisky ? thirteen or nightime ?    about 2 hours ago   via TweetDeck

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
faldor wrote:

bumblefoot

On Monday 15th March 2010, @bumblefoot said:

Nice Italian dinner with the band tonight, came back and hung with GNR fans outside the hotel. http://www.twitpic.com/18vjdj One had an acoustic guitar so I gave 'em their own acoustic show outside the hotel for 2 hours, everyone singin' and havin' fun.

Slash wouldn't do this. Hes too much of a "Rockstar". I love Ron for stuff like this

johndivney wrote:

ugh god, alex chilton is 1 of my music gods up there with guns &  dylan & this is the first i'm reading about. holy shit. that guy's been such a massive part of my life & again in the past 2 months he's been who i've spent the majority of my time with.. fuck.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
faldor wrote:

bumblefoot

Nice Italian dinner with the band tonight, came back and hung with GNR fans outside the hotel. http://www.twitpic.com/18vjdj One had an acoustic guitar so I gave 'em their own acoustic show outside the hotel for 2 hours, everyone singin' and havin' fun.

Slash wouldn't do this. Hes too much of a "Rockstar". I love Ron for stuff like this

If you believe what people say, it may be because he doesn't like close encounters like this.  He seems to enjoy big media gatherings over small, intimate situations where it is more difficult to control the discussion.

I think Ron is a big, big part of saving this band.  He may be THE reason we still have a band.

Sky Dog wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Tommy:

i'm deeply saddened by the news of alex chiltons death . a truly sad day . been a year of major losses ..Jim Dickenson,DonSmith and now Alex    about 3 hours ago   via TweetDeck   

sad night in uruguay . vodka or whisky ? thirteen or nightime ?    about 2 hours ago   via TweetDeck

Here is what Tommy is tweeting about. Chilton and Big Star were a huge influence on The Replacements, REM, etc. Tommy actually co wrote the Mats tune "Alex Chilton" (one of their more famous songs and it is actually on the same Rock Band release as Shackler's).

from USA Today...

NEW ORLEANS (AP) '” Singer and guitarist Alex Chilton, who topped the charts as a teen and later became a cult hero with Big Star, died Wednesday. He was 59.
Chilton died at a hospital in New Orleans after experiencing what appeared to be heart problems, said his longtime friend John Fry. Fry said Chilton's wife, Laura, was very distressed by the unexpected death.

"Alex was an amazingly talented person, not just as a musician and vocalist and a songwriter, but he was intelligent and well read and interested in a wide number of music genres," said Fry, the owner of Memphis-based Ardent Studios.

As the teenage singer for the pop-soul outfit the Box Tops, Chilton topped the charts with the band's song The Letter in 1967. Their other hits were Soul Deep and Cry Like a Baby. Chilton grew up in Memphis, and formed the band with friends from school.

His short run with Big Star brought less mainstream success but made him a cult hero to other rock musicians, as evidenced by the title of the 1987 Replacements song, Alex Chilton. Big Star's three 1970s albums all earned spots on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest.

johndivney wrote:

he played guitar on can't hardly wait.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
madagas wrote:

Tommy:

First I'd heard of this sad I was thinking of digging out my Big Star Cd's just the other day too, been a while since I've listened to them.

...never travel far without a little big star...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
faldor wrote:

bumblefoot

If you believe what people say, it may be because he doesn't like close encounters like this.  He seems to enjoy big media gatherings over small, intimate situations where it is more difficult to control the discussion.

I think Ron is a big, big part of saving this band.  He may be THE reason we still have a band.

In Slash's defense, not that he needs it.  I don't know if he COULD do something like that even if he wanted.  He's on another level than Ron, or almost any other guitarist.  Where there may have been dozens flocked around Ron, there'd have been hundreds around Slash.  The larger the numbers, the more chances for problems.

Sky Dog wrote:
downliner wrote:
madagas wrote:

Tommy:

First I'd heard of this sad I was thinking of digging out my Big Star Cd's just the other day too, been a while since I've listened to them.

...never travel far without a little big star...

not to be a ass, but well, some people seem to make it a habit and their opinion is gold.......this death is a big deal to the ONLY "member" of this Gnr who actually has a significant presence in the industry and who actually has went through every Chinese Democracy recording session and every tour. To me, it just goes to show you, the lack of integrity and intelligence of the average Gnr fan when it comes to discussing the history of rock and roll prior to 1987. This board won't comment because most posters really have no idea about how important Tommy's band was..much less how important Tommy's influence Alex Chilton was....but, hey......don't worry Slash and Rob Thomas may have something in the pipeline.

Board footer