You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: GN'R Twitter Updates

Saikin wrote:
madagas wrote:
downliner wrote:
madagas wrote:

Tommy:

i'm deeply saddened by the news of alex chiltons death . a truly sad day . been a year of major losses ..Jim Dickenson,DonSmith and now Alex    about 3 hours ago   via TweetDeck   

sad night in uruguay . vodka or whisky ? thirteen or nightime ?    about 2 hours ago   via TweetDeck

First I'd heard of this sad I was thinking of digging out my Big Star Cd's just the other day too, been a while since I've listened to them.

...never travel far without a little big star...

not to be a ass, but well, some people seem to make it a habit and their opinion is gold.......this death is a big deal to the ONLY "member" of this Gnr who actually has a significant presence in the industry and who actually has went through every Chinese Democracy recording session and every tour. To me, it just goes to show you, the lack of integrity and intelligence of the average Gnr fan when it comes to discussing the history of rock and roll prior to 1987. This board won't comment because most posters really have no idea about how important Tommy's band was..much less how important Tommy's influence Alex Chilton was....but, hey......don't worry Slash and Rob Thomas may have something in the pipeline.

I don't agree with Tommy being the only member of GNR who has a significant presence in music, I think you can include Axl in that list too.  Bumblefoot could very easily have a larger place too in the coming years. 

I think the second part of your post was a little harsh, but also true at the same time.  But you know what?  It's never going to change.  We have mainstream music because it's what the majority of the people like.  That however doesn't equate to it being a better art form because I don't believe that the voice of the whole is greater than that of the individual. Some people just wouldn't be able to get into Tommy's music for that reason, no matter how great it is.

Sky Dog wrote:

obviously, I wasn't including Axl...Foot is just about to blow up...quality guy, great talent, let's hope Axl gives him a real chance. But, this band, in the alleged music industry, has two players with prior credentials...Axl and Tommy. Axl is definitely the only commercial draw. Tommy just brings the rock and credibility among musicians and critics.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
madagas wrote:

obviously, I wasn't including Axl...Foot is just about to blow up...quality guy, great talent, let's hope Axl gives him a real chance. But, this band, in the alleged music industry, has two players with prior credentials...Axl and Tommy. Axl is definitely the only commercial draw. Tommy just brings the rock and credibility among musicians and critics.

This is true.  I'm hoping GNR put out another album and Ron plays a significant role in it, because that would be a huge push for him and the guy deserves it and is certainly talented enough. 

Tommy is an amazing bass player.  Him and Ben Sheppard are by far my favorite bass players.

Sky Dog wrote:

Tommy just has "it"...whatever that is. He isn't an incredible bass player....really just like Duff. Where I see the difference is his song writing ability on the side. Unfortunately, Axl....and Westerberg for that matter, have dominated the two major goups he has been in, as far as song writing goes. But, wow, between Bash and Pop, Perfect, and his solo album, he has some really great songs...better than anything Duff has done post Gnr. Still, Axl is lucky with his bass. They are both killer in a pure rock and roll sense. They are really similar and it isn't ironic that Duff has some guys playing with him that Tommy did as well...Alien Crime guys...in Loaded.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

Tommy just has "it"...whatever that is. He isn't an incredible bass player....really just like Duff. Where I see the difference is his song writing ability on the side. Unfortunately, Axl....and Westerberg for that matter, have dominated the two major goups he has been in, as far as song writing goes. But, wow, between Bash and Pop, Perfect, and his solo album, he has some really great songs...better than anything Duff has done post Gnr. Still, Axl is lucky with his bass. They are both killer in a pure rock and roll sense.

This is why he should stay with Soul Asylum 14 Him and Dave(and dan) are friends and I think Dave is an incredible songwriter. They could come up with some great stuff together. Though who know if Dave would  ever allow anyone to have a more involved role in Soul Asylum songwriting. I always get the impression Dan holds it all together but Dave is always so quick to point out that what he says goes as far as song writing.  It's funny how Tommy gets along with guys like Axl and Westerberg. They're dicks. Maybe Tommy is one too and just doesn't take thier shit 14

I'm selfish I just like the idea of Tommy in Soul Asylum full time. If it can't be Karl it might as well be Tommy.

Sky Dog wrote:

I hear ya...but look at it from Tommy's perspective, 2000 or 40,000 like tonight....Ritz-Carlton or Courtyard? Models or drunk, fat 80's-90's chicks? Paul always said Tommy wanted to be a rock star.

Sky Dog wrote:

and for the record, I would take some fat, drunk 80's -90's chicks right now!!!!

johndivney wrote:
madagas wrote:

I hear ya...but look at it from Tommy's perspective, 2000 or 40,000 like tonight....Ritz-Carlton or Courtyard? Models or drunk, fat 80's-90's chicks? Paul always said Tommy wanted to be a rock star.

uh, paul wanted to be a rock star too. i think he said it was more just deserts for tommy to land the GnR gig 'cause he deserved it after all the fuck up's of the 'mats failing to breakout huge back in the day rather than anything nasty, paul & tommy seem to still be on good terms & i tend to take what westerberg says with a pinch of salt & some continual running in-joke..

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

@DJASHBA said:
Packing bags in Montevideo to flying to Chile with Axl on his private jet, Can't wait for the show!! Hope to see you all there!!! The crowd in Uruguay was insane!!! Thank you all for the warm welcome!! I am blown away by the passion you all have for music, you all are my motivation. The love you give me is the fuel that burns the fire deep inside. Thx a million. Much love.

@bumblefoot said:
Uruguay!! Chivito sandwiches! 'Mrs. Foot' went sight-seeing with the band and loved it! (I lied in bed for 15 hours letting knee/brain cells regenerate, then spent some time with fans outside the hotel & hit the venue...) Over 30,000 of ya's at the show tonight, enjoyed making noise together with y'all! Leaving in a few hours for Chile, see ya there!

Guess it was more like 30K instead of the 60K it was thought to have been. Strill an amazing number.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Ron is king.

Board footer