You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: DJ Ashba - A Day In The Life

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:
faldor wrote:
dr_love6977 wrote:

I gotta get Russ' back on this one. I didn't like BJ, I mean DJ from the beginning. I had showed up to Russ' house for practice and he put on a boot. I told him that I didn't care for B(D)J, and he proceeded to show me all of his highlights throughout the show in an attempt to get me to like him. Russ very much gave him a chance. It's just the whole bragging about being a douche on Twitter that's turning people against him, not the guitar playing.

Maybe he did give DJ a fair shot, but at the same time maybe he's on a short leash, so to speak.  If Axl had done these same things, would he all of a sudden hate Axl?  I'd tend to think not.  Sure, he might still not agree with them but I don't think he'd be ready to turn his back on him.

This cracks me up. I don't "all of a sudden hate DJ". I think this particular incident was a stupid thing to do in the first place and then brag about on top of it.

I've always thought he looked like a tool, that hasn't changed.

And the closest he ever came to playing my favorite solo in GN'R right was in Tokyo.

Russ, you're taking things out of context and proving my point at the same time.  I said you wouldn't all of a sudden hate AXL because I assume you like Axl at this moment.  You said you tried your best to like DJ, and I believe you but you've also stated that you had negative opinions about him from the start.  So the negative things he may have done were magnified.  If Axl/Robin had done those things you may not have agreed with them but you'd still support them.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
madagas wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

I wouldn't bet on anyone with a trademark in their name.

That said, on stage DJ is a cool cat and a good guitar player. But Axl, from now on, stop taking cheap shots at Slash for "selling out" or whatever.

...more like if you are gonna have a Slash wannabe, maybe you should just go back to the real thing. Robin, Bucket, Ron, and even Richard do their own thing.....DJ, not so much. I do think he is a good player though.

He's an Indiana boy, which may count.

The Robin hate was always a two-edged sword for Axl. On one hand, he oriignally went for someone drastically different than Slash, because he was unable to find a blues-based guitarist ready to take on the challenge (as in '96, replacing Slash in his own game in GNR was considered a huge deal), and he was also trying to figure out his musical direction. Someone like Robin was exotic enough to pique his interest to distance the future GNR from Slash and the blues-based rock with a more eclectic sound.

Obviously, had the album come out at least in '99, they could've toured more actively behind it and Robin's situation would've been drastically different. The sound would've been more industrial-rock akin to OMG, a direction at which Robin feels good at, given his NIN associations for one. As the work dragged on, Axl had already grown fond of Robin's contributions and didn't want to see him replaced altogether, despite getting Brian May around following the audience response to OMG.

What happened was, the band slipped into a more classic rock mode with Roy Thomas Baker. Robin was re-hired and basically shouldered with a more textbook surrogate Slash role, which was something he was never very accustomed to, comfortable with, or capable of feigning. That's when we started getting the AFD tours with Robin taking the heat for playing Slash, even if he did try hard to distance himself from that pattern. This, obviously, pissed off some of the fans to no end.

In retrospect, it's easy to say Robin should've never returned to the fold after his take with NIN in '99. Aside the fun to be had on tours, he didn't get much out of it, aside being labeled a poor man's Slash playing Appetite from night in, night out. The fact that DJ seems to meld with the overall sound much better is not a coincidence, as I personally maintain the sound Robin was asked to deliver had been scrapped ten years earlier.

Would really want to hear the finished cuts of the Sean Beavan CD one day, even if I know that's a pipe-dream.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor

faldor wrote:

Fair enough, maybe DJ will win you over down the road.

I still contend the positives he has brought to the table far outweigh the negatives to this point.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

DJ is a cool guy and i like him but the bar story was just lame and a pathetic attempt to appear cool

Times like that i wish it would've been a bad ass bartender who like worked part time to support his mma training and would've beat his ass.

just hate when someone who obviously isn't tough tries to act all macho and shit.

drives me nuts.

faldor

faldor wrote:

It's tough to say what he DID was lame because we weren't there.  Maybe he WAS in the right.  But to brag about it online and brush it off as no big deal, that can certainly be viewed as lame.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

It's tough to say what he DID was lame because we weren't there.  Maybe he WAS in the right.  But to brag about it online and brush it off as no big deal, that can certainly be viewed as lame.

Exactly

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

pitman likes DJ

122klcp.jpg