You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: "Ghost" is streaming NOW

Saikin wrote:
war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I love both guys and they are my two favorite singers so its hard to slag either for their immense talent, but Axl doesn't come close in that department and Axl even admitted it in a RS interview many years ago.

The only capacity that Axl destroys Cornell is his stage presence, but in fairness very few in history can rival Axl's stage presence.

i disagree - axl is a far more diverse vocalist.

and since when does a statement of modesty equal truth when talking about one's own self?

I agree with James, and we are literally discussing my two favorite singers.  So it's hard for me to choose, and I don't really want to choose either one.

But realistically, Cornell is a better songwriter and better vocalist.  Stage presence though, Axl blows him out of the water.  Cornell can't even come close to him there. 

Cornell is a lot more diverse.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Since we're on the topic of Axl vs Slash(again). Slash couldn't hold Axl's jockstrap in the songwriting department. Let's be real.

I wasn't going to say this, but since you did...

I fully agree.  As far as song writing goes Slash can't compare to Axl.  Slash writes riffs and solos, and even those are getting really tired lately. 

I'd take Chinese Democracy over Slash's post-GNR work any day.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:

Hi folks, not been on for an age, purely because the Axl album didnt even live up to the minor expectations that I might've had. Its a comedy footnote to me and those that like GnR or music in general. Objectively and realistically its a piece of shit that lives off of its's sad reputation and the name thats tied to it.

All I can say personally is, how many of you hum to yourself a piece of shit like Sorry or Rhiad, but not find something like Ghost or Starlight, or even Kid Rock (who I hate) remotely catchy. Slash's songs have been stuck in my head since they came out, Axl's are just comedy banter over a few drinks in the pub.  To me, this Slash album shows who can write a hook, a solo and something that sticks in the brain, and to me that is the sign of a good song. Something that sticks, and emotes rather than something that dies at the same time as the morbid curiousity that surrounds it.

So hes not pushing the envelope, big deal, if you love something, you love it for what it is. If not, go and listen to Shackler's Revenge. I'll give you a week til it gets lame.

Cheers

Locomotive98

Locomotive98 wrote:

God, sorry, that was all a bit uneccesary, I dont like to compare as much as the rest, but when someone says Finck's solo of Nov Rain is the best they've heard I either have to weep, or wade in. The long and short is, Slash's tunes dig into the brain like no other for a while, and for that, I'll take my hat off. Well done Slash and the guys.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

Hi folks, not been on for an age, purely because the Axl album didnt even live up to the minor expectations that I might've had. Its a comedy footnote to me and those that like GnR or music in general. Objectively and realistically its a piece of shit that lives off of its's sad reputation and the name thats tied to it.

All I can say personally is, how many of you hum to yourself a piece of shit like Sorry or Rhiad, but not find something like Ghost or Starlight, or even Kid Rock (who I hate) remotely catchy. Slash's songs have been stuck in my head since they came out, Axl's are just comedy banter over a few drinks in the pub.  To me, this Slash album shows who can write a hook, a solo and something that sticks in the brain, and to me that is the sign of a good song. Something that sticks, and emotes rather than something that dies at the same time as the morbid curiousity that surrounds it.

So hes not pushing the envelope, big deal, if you love something, you love it for what it is. If not, go and listen to Shackler's Revenge. I'll give you a week til it gets lame.

Cheers

*fart*

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Since we're on the topic of Axl vs Slash(again). Slash couldn't hold Axl's jockstrap in the songwriting department. Let's be real.

I wasn't going to say this, but since you did...

I fully agree.  As far as song writing goes Slash can't compare to Axl.  Slash writes riffs and solos, and even those are getting really tired lately. 

I'd take Chinese Democracy over Slash's post-GNR work any day.

both axl and slash are better collaborating song writers than pure song writers..they both rely on other people to flesh out their material

Locomotive98

Locomotive98 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

God, sorry, that was all a bit uneccesary, I dont like to compare as much as the rest, but when someone says Finck's solo of Nov Rain is the best they've heard I either have to weep, or wade in. The long and short is, Slash's tunes dig into the brain like no other for a while, and for that, I'll take my hat off. Well done Slash and the guys.

It's really too bad that so many can't fathom that others have differing opinions. See, you think that Slash's tunes dig into the brain like no other. That's your opinion. While I don't think it's even close to true and obviously many others on here don't agree with you either, I can still understand how it's your opinion. Not sure what's so damn hard to understand about that for so many.

Everyone has differing opinions, thats why my last post exists in the first place. Its all relative obviously. You like what you like, I like what I like, theres no need to be so defensive. I had an opinion so did you, I just happened to find yours amazing, on a GnR forum of all places, but that doesnt make it less valid.

Locomotive98

Locomotive98 wrote:
misterID wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

Cheers

*fart*

ha, 10 mins back and already someone cant deal with an opinion. Hows Jimbob?

Thanks for the -karma, thats well funny. Pathetic? Cant see anything with my opinion thats pathetic... cheers though.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I think even you know that your attempt to downplay Slash's importance and songwriting greatness was desperate and ridiculous. It's not about having a different opinion. it's about having a valid opinion.
According to you Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Buckethead etc. are not songwriters. I'm afraid you don't play any instrument and has never got any music education.

ah, let the insults flow, replacing the inability to provide an intelligent response. perhaps you are the one that is lacking in music ed and just don't know it. what makes you think it is me? I play piano, guitar, and sing. I give theory based lessons at the college level and i write and record my own music completely by myself, including all necessary instruments to the rock genre (piano, drums, guitar, bass, vocals, synth). maybe you'd look better sticking to what you know rather than what you think you know and assumptions.

i have no reason to be desperate to insult slash. he is great at what he does well and i love him for that but he is not great at songwriting. your comparisons with eddie van halen and jimmy page, etc. are absurd. slash hasn't even been involved with anything close to that level of music since izzy left gnr. compare slither to stairway to heaven, dude. this is because izzy was responsible for the core of most of the songs on appetite, lies, and illusions. slash can write and amazing solo but it doesn't mean shit to the listener if it cant be backed up with a song to accompany it.

take SCOM for example.....play the solo without izzy in the background and it is not nearly as exciting.

Board footer