You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: "Starlight" is Streaming NOW

Saikin wrote:

Russ, if your head wasn't so far up Axl's ass you'd be able to enjoy what wonderful fucking music we have available on this album.  This album is so fresh and everything about it is just sooooo original.

I really dig Watch This.  Everything else so far I don't. 

Bring on the new STP.  9

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

My point is, no way every song will suck.  On CD the reviews were much more negative from non GNR fans.  With Slash's album, the reviews have been much more positive.  Most of the bad reviews are from people that absolutely love CD and think Robin Finck is brilliant.  Again, I don't care if you have a bad opinion, but for some here, I don't care how good the song is, Slash won't win.  But ya, I didn't mean to start anything with anyone...  I just doubt seeing Chinese Blues, Russ, Jarmo, ShotgunBlues1978, or some of the others really digging anything off this album.  But, I could be way wrong.  I thought CD has some really strong songs, with If the World being my favorite, but it also had some total trash like Scraped.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

No offense, but the slight on Russ was Bullshit. I keep hearing how great this album sounds, or awesome, and all the great reviews its getting. Where? No one outside a few people have even HEARD the album yet. I could say the exact same thing about you and some others around here about your opinions about CD. But I respect that some shit just doesn't float your boat.

Not liking his album (or what we've heard of it) is not an attack or slag on Slash. I was hoping for something cool. And was pumped about it. So far I haven't heard anything exciting. That is me, has nothing to do with Axl or anything else. And I know Russ well enough to know the same goes for him.

Russ is about as fair minded as it gets. Sorry, but he's not the only one that's just not digging it.

AtariLegend wrote:

I think it's generic, not bad... Just not something I'm going to be listening to in a week from now.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Instrumentally it's ace. Great Slash stuff. Slash even channels a bit of Bucket in the guitar solo.

Myles Kennedy ruins it. Abysmal vocalist. In the low notes, he's cookie cutter alt rock, and in the high notes he's karaoke bar Axl.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Beautiful Dangerous is a sick instrumental for the first couple minutes, but then it gets way repetitive. It almost sounds like he's using a killswitch during the opening minute or so, I really dug it. The solo is OK.

As for the other two, wow, bland, bland, bland. They are really generic rock. The solo on Starlight is the highlight, but the entire Hold On is a throwaway. Solo is average Slash.

If the people who aren't liking this stuff are all Axl nutswingers, then there must be a lot of them out there. So many, in fact, CD should have done a lot better, right? Wrong. These are average songs. Very average. Radio is just ignoring By The Sword. It's not even been played in Chicago as far as I can tell. Never shows up on WLUP or Q101's playlist. It's not on any Billboard chart and is 17 out of 30 on airplay on some other chart, with 129 spins. Puddle of Mudd is one spot ahead of By The Sword.

Yes, Smoking Guns is right, the solos on these songs are the highlight. Which only underscores the fact Slash needs to do an instrumental album. Watch This is getting the best reviews on this board, an instrumental. Do the math.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Watch This is also fantastic. And like you said, an instrumental.

I guess it's a shame really. We expect these guys to duplicate past sounds, but it just isn't feasible. Axl ain't Axl anymore, and Slash ain't Slash anymore. hmm

And that Kid Rock track SUCKS. That's a damn B-side even on a Kid Rock album.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

My point is, no way every song will suck.  On CD the reviews were much more negative from non GNR fans.  With Slash's album, the reviews have been much more positive.  Most of the bad reviews are from people that absolutely love CD and think Robin Finck is brilliant.  Again, I don't care if you have a bad opinion, but for some here, I don't care how good the song is, Slash won't win.  But ya, I didn't mean to start anything with anyone...  I just doubt seeing Chinese Blues, Russ, Jarmo, ShotgunBlues1978, or some of the others really digging anything off this album.  But, I could be way wrong.  I thought CD has some really strong songs, with If the World being my favorite, but it also had some total trash like Scraped.

I can't stand Robin Finck, and I've given this album a 'bad review' (even though that is a fucking joke because I HAVEN'T HEARD IT YET)

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Russ, I believe you...

I just love hearing him rip on the guitar again, like yester year..  I hardly even notice the singers, I don't let them ruin the song for me, some of these riffs and melodies are just pure class..

Board footer