You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: "Starlight" is Streaming NOW

faldor wrote:

This song I actually liked right away, even AFTER I read so many negative comments on it.  Seems like a love it or hate it type tune.  Personally I think Myles fits the song quite nicely.  His voice, and the high notes, don't bother me one bit.  I still like "By The Sword" the best, but this one comes in second right now.  I was disappointed with the Kid Rock track.  I had high hopes for that one, but as someone mentioned, it didn't even rank up there as a good Kid Rock track.  I actually like Kid Rock, so it really shouldn't have been hard to deliver with Slash + Kid Rock for me.  Maybe multiple listens will change things, my initial thought is the song is nothing special.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

No offense, but the slight on Russ was Bullshit. I keep hearing how great this album sounds, or awesome, and all the great reviews its getting. Where? No one outside a few people have even HEARD the album yet. I could say the exact same thing about you and some others around here about your opinions about CD. But I respect that some shit just doesn't float your boat.

Not liking his album (or what we've heard of it) is not an attack or slag on Slash. I was hoping for something cool. And was pumped about it. So far I haven't heard anything exciting. That is me, has nothing to do with Axl or anything else. And I know Russ well enough to know the same goes for him.

Russ is about as fair minded as it gets. Sorry, but he's not the only one that's just not digging it.

Yeah I don't really hear the album being talked about anywhere but here either.  Aside from a few mentions from Eddie Trunk, I don't think the anticipation for this album is exactly sweeping the nation the way some would make it seem.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Beautiful Dangerous is a sick instrumental for the first couple minutes, but then it gets way repetitive.

And that's the exact reason I don't want a slash instrumental.

For example WTTJ is an awesome song, but an instrumental version it would get bland, likewise the lyrics alone don't do it, it's the chemestry between the vocal melodies and the guitars that make that type of rock kickass.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Beautiful Dangerous is a sick instrumental for the first couple minutes, but then it gets way repetitive.

And that's the exact reason I don't want a slash instrumental.

For example WTTJ is an awesome song, but an instrumental version it would get bland, likewise the lyrics alone don't do it, it's the chemestry between the vocal melodies and the guitars that make that type of rock kickass.

That's a shitty reason to not want a Slash solo album.

You see, when he writes these songs he's writing them with the expectation of a vocal track over it, which means the instrumental will be repetitive.

If he had written songs as instrumentals, then it's a whole different arrangement and process and they wouldn't be as repetitive as this. 

Watch This is wonderful and I don't find it repetitive at all.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Yeah I agree....I guess i'm just saying it's a different process.

Like some riffs are great for a rock song, and other's are great for instrumental tracks. That a song or two has bland vocals or lyrics on this album doesn't to me imply that the album should be scrapped in favour of an instrumental.

But then as i said in the other thread I'm not the biggest fan of instrumentals. There's some I really love like soothsayer. But to me even the worlds best instrumental is missing an added layer of depth that could come from also putting thoughtful lyrics with it. Although maybe an instrumental is better than bad lyrics.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

this is a little too generic and cliched sounding for me. So far the songs ive enjoyed have been By the sword - easily the pick so far, Ghost (particularly for the guitar interplay between Slash and Izzy) and Watch this. The Fergie instrumental too... but the Ozzy one and this to me are a little disappointing

edit: ok, just heard the kid rock one and quite like it, nothing amazing, but quite a nice song and a solid collaboration

Sky Dog wrote:

kinda like Starlight now and this guy has a voice that can do By The Sword well plus Gnr stuff. Beautiful Dangerous instrumental has real, real potential. The Kid Rock track is pretty standard fare.

Sky Dog wrote:

good solo on Starlight and I may be digging this guys voice as well..:nervous:..this kinda sounds like it could be a Gnr track to me.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Russtcb, no offense, but I really don't expect you to say anything really great about any song on the whole album.  How one could not like "watch this" or some of the other tracks is hard to believe, especially on a GNR board.  All the songs have been pretty well received.  I guess my point is, and i don't mean this in a bad way, is that your pro Axl feelings may blind your openess to these songs.  I could be way wrong, but even Faldor, who tends to be more in the Axl camp, seems to like some of these tunes.  HA, its going to be a damn fine rock album, with lots of tasty riffs.  The vocals are not the most important thing to me, the guitar is.  Maybe that is why I am digging all the songs.

i've heard a lot of complaints so that's not true that all of the songs have been well received and add me to the list as well. slash is one of my top 3 favorite guitar players of all time but this is just ok. wont be downloading any of it. it was intersting enough to have checked it out but, afer hearing 5 tracks, i have heard enough.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

this song blows. loved the first minute, solo is really good. but the main sound of the song just sucks.

i am so disappointed with everything i've heard. it's all average. there are elements of slash's brilliance, but the songs overall just suck.

it's all generic sounding rock. very average. and this music will be forgotten very quickly (if anyone ever hears it to begin with).

Board footer