You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Just listened to Chinese Democracy again...

-D- wrote:

I do love CD but problem i have is... if this came out in 2002 with the shit I was going through in my life... I'd be saying this is the greatest album of all time... Problem is.... when it did come out.. I was in a great place emotionally etc etc and now i have to be in certain moods to really listen to it.

I think outside of Shackler's, the rock songs are kinda mediocre but the epic ballads are some of the greatest ever.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

neutral

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
-D- wrote:

I do love CD but problem i have is... if this came out in 2002 with the shit I was going through in my life... I'd be saying this is the greatest album of all time... Problem is.... when it did come out.. I was in a great place emotionally etc etc and now i have to be in certain moods to really listen to it.

I think outside of Shackler's, the rock songs are kinda mediocre but the epic ballads are some of the greatest ever.

It's kinda like... back in 2003, I would have sent a copy of Chinese Democracy to my ex-girlfriends. Like a professionaly done mix-CD. But now I don't want to risk a restraining order. Plus Facebook has now been invented, so everyone else would find out about it. Quickly. So that would be counter productive.

Gagarin

Gagarin wrote:
Gagarin wrote:
-D- wrote:

It's kinda like... back in 2003, I would have sent a copy of Chinese Democracy to my ex-girlfriends. Like a professionaly done mix-CD. But now I don't want to risk a restraining order. Plus Facebook has now been invented, so everyone else would find out about it. Quickly. So that would be counter productive.

But for a 100 dollars, I'd consider doing this ^.
Haha.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

It's not even as simple as "if it had come out in 2002 it would've been a hit." It's the way the news media works nowadays; go read a book called Flat Earth News, it dissects how the news cycle operates in the modern era, and how easy it is to manipulate the news agenda if you're prepared to play the game. It's mostly about political news, but the same lessons apply to entertainment news too.

Axl isn't very good at manipulating the media - or, more likely, he has no interest in it. And thus, Chinese Democracy sank like a stone. If it'd been released in 2002, the stars were better aligned for it to be a hit - and the media were more interested in playing the "Axl returns the conquering hero" narrative - but he dropped the ball.

I still maintain that if Axl had turned up in 2002 looking and sounding like he did in 2006 or 2009, he would've had a monster hit on his hands - but he turned up out of shape with the braids and the jersey, and the media narrative turned into "let's laugh at Fat Axl." Of course, there were probably plenty of behind-the-scenes tensions, too - wasn't there some beef between Robin and Buckethead the whole time Buckethead was there?

Axl's best shot now is to go into the studio and record a new album with the current band - who all seem to get along - in double-quick time. And promote the hell out of it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

DJ Ashba is a modern rock guitar player. He'd be able to put together those melodic riffs that'd give them hits on the next album.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

yes, im excited for a ashba/bumblefoot/gnr album

Gagarin

Gagarin wrote:

Bumbleslash, Slashba, 4Tus, and Tommy, ... I'd love to hear that! smile

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

not sure i know who all of these people are

Board footer