You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Just listened to Chinese Democracy again...

Olorin wrote:

I also loved the earlier versions of the title track, the drumming was super, and that subtle ambience in the verses was really quite original I thought.

Before it was subtle, now it hits you like a sledgehammer, and both are pretty cool in there own ways.

I'm cool with Rons additions, its not exactly an easy task he had and reading what he has since said about that recording process, my respect for his additions have grown very much.

To me now, this album, it is what it is. I never listen to the demos ever, so the one they released is the only one for me.

Although after hearing Rons improvement on the Catcher solos live, I wish he had got the chance to properly live with the song for a while in the recording of it, cause his performance on the album version seems a bit rushed and as if he was winging it. His new live version has much better feel and emotion.
Given that Brains on the drums, I suppose there must be a version of Catcher in the vault with Bucket and Robin, now thats something I would like to hear!

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

ron is a great guy and a great guitar player but he made Catcher unlistenable.

it was my favorite leak and i can't listen to the album version

Blues RIR III is one of my top 5-7 GNR songs of all time. At times it got close to an Estranged level for me

the SOD on the album is absolutely terrible.

Sky Dog wrote:

The Blues, Chinese Democracy, and Madagascar were all better at Rio III. hmm

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I really like CD on the album, I like Rons additions and for me it's the best version of the song. They never did justice to it live until they kicked off this tour imo. As for SOD and Madagascar I agree but then I was burnt out on those two songs way before CD ever came out anyway.

I'm definitely against the majority regarding CITR though, I like the album version. Excluding Brian Mays solo I thought the leak was seriously lacking, the album version might go overboard the other way in terms of clutter but I find it far superior to the leak overall. I think the outro's fantastic, the combo of Axl and Rons guitar work is a real high point of the album for me.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I'm definitely against the majority regarding CITR though, I like the album version. Excluding Brian Mays solo I thought the leak was seriously lacking, the album version might go overboard the other way in terms of clutter but I find it far superior to the leak overall. I think the outro's fantastic, the combo of Axl and Rons guitar work is a real high point of the album for me.

i wasnt gonna say anything but i'm in the same boat...prealbum CITR was among my least favorite, now its up in the top 3 or 4 on CD

pure brilliance

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Chinese Democracy is probably one of the few album cuts that I prefer over the leaks.  It just sounds heavier and meaner than the leak.

I'm really not sure what they did to the Blues.  I think they added too much synth/orchestra when they should have just left it alone.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I think they slowed it down *SOD* took out the heavy guitar and Axl's 2002 falsetto type style works amazing on SOD.. sounded terrible on the old stuff but the blues was one song it worked to perfection

the rasp doesn't sound good on SOD

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

the increase in quality from the leak to the album version inspired me to buy the book, the book made me fall in love with the song

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I may be on an island on this but I'm gonna throw it out there:

Am I the only person who doesn't care for any version of CitR ever?

Yes. Now don't you feel like a douche? tongue  14

Board footer