You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Oslo, Norway - June 2, 2010 (Oslo Spektrum)

Neemo wrote:

what about you naltav? any comments or review smile

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Neemo wrote:

what about you naltav? any comments or review smile

I started to write a review yesterday while still in Oslo, but something went wrong with my iPod Touch, so I couldn't post it. It was prolly for the better...

Not many happy thoughts after spending x-amount of money flying from Stavanger to Bergen, Bergen-Oslo and then Oslo-back home to see my favourite band!

Oslo gig was a tad better then Bergen...  smile Which means hmm.. well... you get the picture...

Got home late last night, been busy today going through unread mails at work.

Videos from Oslo-gig turned out a bit better than the Bergen-gig. Sound is still not good enough, but some of you will prolly want to see them anywaysshh... So I will upload later when I get home...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Interesting, both you and DCK seem like strong supporters and you both have less than glowing reviews of the shows.  I saw some youtube videos and it looked alright to me.  I know that's not much to base an opinion on, positive or negative.  Were your expectations just too high maybe?  I know the setlist being the same probably wasn't a highlight for you going to BOTH shows.  When this band first started out and was playing varying setlists basically every night I was planning on making as many trips as possible to see them (if they ever came stateside), but now I'm not so sure.  One show might be enough.  Maybe 2.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

There were two main problems if you ask me.

The sound and the setlist.

The YouTube shots doesn't do shit. I listened to them, and they sounded great if you ask me.

However, you get annoyed when Axl's voice keeps coming and going almost the entire show. A YouTube clip doesn't really pick it up.

It wasn't my first show either, just to point it out.

Axl in 2006 seemed more hungry if you ask me, but it might just be because I was somewhere else in the arena then.

The critics trashed them btw. Much more than what I did.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

The sound has been a recurring problem for this band for some time now that crops up now and again.  I don't understand why.  You'd think they could correct that.  Is there just too much noise with an 8 piece band that Axl gets drowned out at times?

It's all speculative but Axl has been quiet of late, no tweets, little to no interaction with the crowd.  Maybe he's NOT as into it as he was earlier on for whatever reason.  I hope not, but it could be the case.  We'll have to see if this carries on.

Sorry the shows weren't what you hoped/expected.  At least you got to see them though.  I'm still waiting patiently.

DCK

DCK wrote:

I would go see them again in an instant. It's a great spectacle.

I have no idea why the sound doesn't work out. Maybe he should come to reharsals and sing something? I don't know? He didn't stop or anything, so he can't have heard the issues.

And the interaction is weird. He didn't even say a hello. When people cheer wildly because he says he have to start a song again, it speaks in numbers that he should at least say a few words to get the crowd going.

Sky Dog wrote:

Maynard from Tool doesn't say shit either.....

Sky Dog wrote:

HERE'S ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE FROM Julia (babydolls)...I think she comes to our board some. She posted this at htgth...

"Got back to scotland late last night after my Oslo adventure.... Loved the show.  I heard Axl pretty much perfectly throughout the gig, except the start of Better, and the odd bit of CD as I recall,the sound was pretty good generally where I was (front row seats).  Streets ahead of ,say Hammersmith
Blown away by his vocals on Sorry and TIL (that was full-on).  Madagascar sounded immense, as did Nightrain.  The "whose gonna play the final note" battle at end of Nov rain was fun. Also saw DJ and Chris banging into each other in time with the mid section in Better, having a great time.
DJ was fkn great - I think he's a perfect addition to the band, he's a great player and performer and seems to vibe really well with the band and the audience.
Oh and SOD - i thought axl sounded incredible at the very start - its a song that i grew to love from hearing it played live, and I still do...

I havent seen GnR since Wembley 06, so it was fkn awesome to be in Oslo for this.  I have some pics (not brilliant, but ok), will post later.
It was cool meeting up at Elm street before hand too, nice to chat to you guys "

DCK

DCK wrote:

Went thru some YouTube clips again, and I hear Axl better on those clips than what I did when I was there. When you tone down the volume, like it does when you record stuff, most of the "thunder" disappears, leaving the other parts in. Great to hear him sing Chinese and WTTJ.

But DJ is GREAT for this band. Robin Finck who? DJ is the MAN.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

Maynard from Tool doesn't say shit either.....

he talked a bit when i saw them in 2001...though that was a while ago now 16

Board footer