You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Oslo, Norway - June 2, 2010 (Oslo Spektrum)

DCK wrote:

As long as Axl don't go bored... tongue

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

If anything is actually wrong with Axl, it could be that the lawsuit with Azoff is getting him down. It's always seemed like he's reacted on a personal level when problems with the business side start up, so maybe he just isn't in the best spirits at the moment.

Also I guess as a human being, like sometimes he's going to be into the music and the experience of performing more than other times that's only natural.

I think it's positive that these shows are continuting at all, and that aside from a couple of late starts (which is pretty standard for GNR) it's been a very issue free tour.

Myself if they come back down under at anystage, I'd hope a couple more of the CD songs came back, as one thing I found from the asian boots was that the live versions really made the studio tracks come alive for me. A good example was "If the World", I always enjoyed the studio version...but after I saw some live boots I was really so much more into the song and all the power in axl's voice and so on.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Well they keep posting shit on Facebook...dunno if Axl handles that though.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Rex wrote:

I'm willing to bet he doesn't even know the exact username much less the password to the facebook page.

It's clear that what may have started as a fun tour for Axl is no longer fun for him.  He is only doing the absolute minimum that he has to.  Who knows the reason for it, but this is a far cry from the beginning of the tour.

I was excited to see the band when this tour started based on what they were doing from a tour perspective.  For the same reason, I would not spend a dime to see them unless he gets his desire to tour back.  I don't really care about the other guys - I'm going to see Axl.  If he isn't into it, there's no reason for me to go no matter how good the rest of the band is.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Rex wrote:

I'm willing to bet he doesn't even know the exact username much less the password to the facebook page.

It's clear that what may have started as a fun tour for Axl is no longer fun for him.  He is only doing the absolute minimum that he has to.  Who knows the reason for it, but this is a far cry from the beginning of the tour.

I was excited to see the band when this tour started based on what they were doing from a tour perspective.  For the same reason, I would not spend a dime to see them unless he gets his desire to tour back.  I don't really care about the other guys - I'm going to see Axl.  If he isn't into it, there's no reason for me to go no matter how good the rest of the band is.

It does kind of seem that way right now.  We'll see what happens as they go along, because there are a lot more dates left to go.  But I just watched KOHD from Helsinki and Axl didn't set up the crowd like normal for the sing-a-long part.  At one point he did say "c'mon people let me hear you", but that's about all.  Minor things, but it IS a difference from how things were going earlier in the year.

On the bright side, all the youtube videos I've seen from the past shows both the band and Axl sound great.  So even if he is just going through the motions, he's still putting on a great performance.  At least from what I can gather.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah i dont think we want to get it too far out of perspective...like one show where he seems a little under his usual enthusiasm level doesn't mean he's over the whole tour or anything really. Might have just been having an off night.

DCK

DCK wrote:

Exactly. He does his job, but he speaks less, does less. Maybe it's because they have LOTS of shows and he have to save whatever energy he got, but it is different from earlier. The setlists shrinks, Axl speaks less.

He does put on a performance. But, it's Axl Rose we're talking about. We are expecting someone with his temper and feelings portrayed on stage, like he has a tendency to do. Now, to me anyway, he's more like any other frontman doing his job. For Axl, it was always personal, something he wanted to prove. Maybe he feels he did prove something, I don't know.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Axl has had less and less rants over the years and his interaction with the crowd has gone down as well.  So it's not like this is a shocking occurrence that's come out of nowhere.  I love it when he talks to the crowd, but at the same time when I go to a concert as a casual fan when the lead singer starts talking to the crowd I often think "just shut up and sing". 

So I think we may be making a lot out of nothing here, but that's what we do.  Who knows if Axl's happy or not.  I think if he were real upset he'd sound off about it.  His "silence" may just mean he's somewhere in the middle.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I saw them in Chicago and remember thinking shut up and sing, so that isn't just a casual fan thing.  I don't care about his feelings on politics, I want him to sing the songs I love.  So the crowd interaction (or lack of) isn't what's bothering me about this...it's the shrinky dink setlist.  It's like he put it in the oven somewhere late in Canada and it's been shrinking ever since.

DCK

DCK wrote:

I think the shrinking setlist is due to his voice.

Board footer