You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Axl fires back at Irv with lawsuit

Sky Dog wrote:

they can, but they have not....a good buddy of mine works for Livenation. They are all about profit. That same guy you talk about D still gets a decent crowd and still has an "it" factor that makes him worth the risk in a prime time market. Axl can still make someone money.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

And I will confess, Axl has more money-making ability internationally than I originally thought.

I can't believe he alone can sell stadiums as Guns N' Roses.

But I think monkey brought up a good theory to... what if they do eventually move out of the U.S. for operations? Like, record deals, promo, etc. Major artists have done it before, but i'm curious if it's ever happened to a band, who's home country loses interest, yet everyone else still remains.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ yeah...see my theory is that Axl probably can generate enough money from publishing and syncs and so on to never have to work again.

Then if he needs a little boost, he's demonstrated he can launch sucessful tours internatinallt with his new-gnr brand. (All be it not as powerful as the UYI style tour and with the occasional glitch). Meanwhile the album was certified platinum internationally too.

Recording costs arn't what they used to be....basicly if he can get the rest of the world to accept him doing what he does, I don't think he needs to win over the usa.

Look at the weird soap stars and stuff who are popular just in japan or germany and that kind of thing, there's probably enough income in specific markets alone, and axl's level would be thousands of times above theirs, I mean, even without most of the 'real' band (to the outside world) there's only one axl and there's no peformers that are really close to him in what he does.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I've seen a few music industry blogs suggesting it's a tough year for Live Nation/Ticketmaster....might be a massive stretch...but I wonder if this kind of pressure would make Azoff keener to make this issue with Axl go away.

http://blogs.vocalo.org/jderogatis/2010 … more-26416

Sky Dog wrote:

good read monkey

Sky Dog wrote:

Settlement Efforts Between Axl Rose And Former Manager Hit Sour Note
(CNS) Posted Monday April 11, 2011 – 10:15am

Efforts to settle dueling lawsuits involving Guns N' Roses front man Axl Rose and his former manager have hit a sour note, but attorneys told a judge today they will continue their mediation efforts.

During a brief hearing before Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Rita Miller, the lawyers for Rose and Irving Azoff said they plan to meet with the mediator, a retired judge, on April 25. Trial is scheduled the next day.

Azoff sued Rose in March 2010, claiming the musician owes his company, Front Line Management, more than $1.8 million and broke a verbal agreement to pay the company a 15 percent commission for performances by the band in Taipei, Seoul, Japan, Canada and South America.

Rose countersued last May 17, claiming the manager tried to force him to reunite with the original Guns N' Roses band members and failed to properly promote the band's Chinese Democracy CD.

The suit also claims Azoff lied about a prospective Van Halen super tour and mishandled the band's tour dates.

The countersuit refers to the U.S. Justice Department's recent antitrust lawsuit that sought to stop Ticketmaster and Live Nation from merging over concerns the new entity would have too much control over artists and venues.

Afterwards, Ticketmaster entered into a consent decree with government regulators that allowed the merger to go forward under certain operating provisions.

Court papers submitted on behalf of Azoff state that Rose has refused to take part in the settlement talks and has not given his lawyers permission to make commitments on his behalf.

However, Rose's lawyer, Sasha Frid, denied the musician is the stumbling block in resolving the case.

Copyright © 2011 City News Service

http://www.bhcourier.com/article/Local/ … Note/75607

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I wonder if Axl wont tour the US until this is resolved...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I wonder if Axl wont tour the US until this is resolved...

He probably can't, whether he wanted to or not.

Live Nation has an absolute fuckin' monopoly on the U.S. touring industry, and even if you don't have direct-involvement with them, they/TM/Azoff have enough sway to keep you from working.

Axl might be paranoid, but he's not wrong on this one. Azoff is the JR Ewing of the music industry. People are scared of that guy. Other than Axl, Bruce & Eddie Vedder.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … nt=Twitter

Settlement Efforts Between AXL ROSE And Former Manager To Continue - Apr. 11, 2011........

........Rose's suit added, "Upon realizing that he couldn't bully Rose and accomplish his scheme, Azoff resigned and abandoned GUNS N' ROSES on the eve of a major tour, filing suit for commissions he didn't earn and had no right to receive."

The claim also added that Azoff, in his own lawsuit, deliberately used Rose's real name, William Bailey, because it "carries significant emotional damage from Rose's childhood."

In October 2010, Azoff filed an official answer to Rose's charges by asserting 14 affirmative defenses to Rose's claims he breached fiduciary duty, committed constructive fraud and breached a contract. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Azoff states in his response that Rose claims "are barred by statute of limitations; there was a waiver; There was an accord and satisfaction; that Rose consented to Azoff's actions; that Rose failed to take reasonable steps to mitigate the damage; and that any harm that came to Rose was due to the singer's own negligence, fraud or misconduct."

Board footer