You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Axl fires back at Irv with lawsuit

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't think the point of the counter suit was to say SCOM or WTTJ... Guitar Hero II or III...

It was Axl saying that Azoff promised to launch suit against Activision on his behalf, Axl expected a monetary settlement, didn't get it, and he's owed that money too.

PGER83
 Rep: 5 

PGER83 wrote:

Sorry Smoking the GH thing is old and weird, I'm staying out of it.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I don't think the point of the counter suit was to say SCOM or WTTJ... Guitar Hero II or III...

It was Axl saying that Azoff promised to launch suit against Activision on his behalf, Axl expected a monetary settlement, didn't get it, and he's owed that money too.

Look, SOME, of the lawsuit has merit. I guess you are supposed to go for as much as you can, I get that, just that this goes on ALL THE FUCKING TIME WITH AXL.  Because of this shit, he can't tour, etc.  It really sux.  Honestly, I bet Azoff tried to work with Axl and communicate with him, but we all know how hard that can be.  Maybe its time for Axl to put his balls on the line and fuck the record company and go it like Slash, from his own pocket, and finance his next album and avoid this bullshit.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I also want to point out that Activision never consulted Axl on using WTTJ (they state SCOM) in Guitar Hero III, because of the fact they were not breaching anything. Axl had licensed his stake in the back catalog out by that point,

That doesn't mean anything. All we know is that Axl made a publishing deal, unless i'm wrong, we don't know the terms of that deal.

It could easily be the case, and indeed it most often is the case, that the artist will get approval rights over all snycs and similar deals. That is, he's giving a share of the income from them to the publishing company who's job it also is to get the deals in the first place but he has the right to stop deals he doesn't want happening.

In exchage they give him a massive advance on his cut of royalties from the deals they do upfront, then he'll get a % of what they both make.

Bottom line, if his publishing deal gives him creative control of such matters then he would absolutely need to be consulted before the song was used in a game.

It may be that he doesn't have such a clause in his contract, but it's axl, given the control he's keep over other GNR property I'd be surprised if he pissed this away.

Anyway...we don't know but i'm saying your assumption that because he did a publishing deal he automaticly has no grounds is inaccurate.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Nikki Sixx commented about it on Twitter:

@Axlrose vs. Irving Azoff. Since when do managers sue artists for commissions? Is this just about commissions?
to, mai 20 05:12:54 from web

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Axl just posted this on Twitter! What is this? His state of mind at moment?!  smile

@axlrose: http://twitpic.com/1pd1r8
to, mai 20 13:12:23 from Twitpic

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

The COUNTER SUIT only came because Azoff filed suit against him. Axl would not have had any real reason to do anything had Irving left well enough alone and just walked away. Again, Axl is just defending himself against Azoff's suit...the two suits are one in the same.

So his manager completely sabotages his record, but he's only going to sue because he got sued?  I don't buy it.  That makes no sense whatsoever.  If Azoff did what Axl says he did, he's getting sued no matter what.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

I don't believe a word either of these guys say (Azoff/Rose)

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

More lame bullshit that in the end, hurts the fans like us the most.  Faldor, stop the blind defending of these rediculouse comments.  And isn't Guitar Hero 3 featuring Welcome to the Jungle???  Now Sweet Child O'Mine.. Who wrote Rose's counter suit?  The same guy that wrote his liner notes?  Its so embarrassing.

I don't see the need to single me out in this.  It's not like I'm the only one siding with Axl.  Do I believe everything Axl says?  No.  But the language of the countersuit which outlines the chain of events seems pretty feasible to me.  I'm sorry if you don't see it that way.  That's fine, you're entitled. 

Ultimately in the end it seems you ARE on the right track about this all hurting the fans.  It looks like it has been and will continue to be tough for GNR to tour the US when they're going toe to toe against LN/TM.  But IF Azoff did all that Axl claims and sabotaged his vision, that would be the catalyst.  Not this countersuit.  Axl is not one to just lay down and let others take control and do whatever they say despite what he believes.  He doesn't want a reunion.  Accept that and move on.

Board footer