You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Dj Ashba and Dizzy Reed: "We're working on a new album"

Sky Dog wrote:

good point D...

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

they asked jon Bon jovi a few years ago how important having a hit single was

he said when u have a hit single u play stadiums, when u don't u are in arenas or theaters.

hell look at Lady GaGa... u think she'd be the phenomenon she is without all those hit singles on her album?

Axl wrote a throwback ode to the 60's/70's era of rock n roll where the experience is in the album. U can look at it two ways.. when u poll 100 people and the results are split between every song the album being the favorite, u have a problem.

there is nothing catchy or nothing that appeals to the masses on CD. its a complete Axl indulgence record. There is nothing wrong with that but it isn't gonna move many units unless u have that accessible single like Fall To Pieces that everyone can identify with.

-D-

-D- wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

D, good point... Is this line up a "touring" line up only?  For pure writing, you know he would love to have bucket and finck to an extent hanging around.

pure songwriting DJ has more hits than those two combined. I think he is way better off not having Robin around.

I still contend that CD took so long mainly due to the material not being up to snuff. a band layers an album to try and hide weaknesses.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I'm not saying singles don't help album sales.  Obviously they do.  But singles need help getting to the masses.  That wasn't going to happen with Chinese Democracy.  I'm fairly certain ANY of the songs on the album could've helped sales if they were pushed properly.  I'm not saying the album would've blown up in epic proportions but to drop 2 singles and do nothing with them isn't proving anything.

-D-

-D- wrote:

WHAT? dude how quick u forget the first day this thing was released. Stations were playing the fuck out of it from 5am on, top of the hour every hour. Problem was people didn't like it.

it got pretty hammered if i recall on radio stations but don't act like this thing somehow passed under the radar. If the opposite had happened and the DJ's liked it and it got a great fan response, It would've hit the top of the charts and the album would've done even better.

CD was a terrible first single choice. a 2 min intro or whatever it is? REALLY!??
plus very low vocals and a subject matter no one cares about nor can relate to.

When I heard CD was the first single, I knew the album was in BIG BIG trouble.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

CD as first single...what WAS that? Really?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

They should've put Better out as the first single. No question about it. The DJs were always gonna hit them with negative buzz; unless they put out a killer single and the public got behind it, it was always gonna be "Blah blah where's Slash blah blah I'm a whiny little bitch."

Better was an ideal single - short, punchy, killer hook, sounds very different to the old band while still retaining that bluesy feel with the outro solo, some great changes of direction and solos from both the lead guitarists.

They should've put Better out first, then hit the public with TWAT - a grandiose follow-up to November Rain, with the big outro solo that proves Axl didn't need Slash. In my head, I picture a video in which Buckethead emerges from a chicken coop on top of the same fucking cliff as in the November Rain video, plays that solo and is beamed up to his home planet. Ah, if only they'd released THAT in '02.

Once the band's demonstrated that it can do hard rock and an epic ballad that can outdo November Rain, it's time to bring out the crossover single - If The World.

Fuck, a trained monkey could've made this thing a hit. The one thing they SHOULDN'T have done is put Chinese Democracy out as the first single.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
russtcb wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

They should've put Better out as the first single. No question about it. The DJs were always gonna hit them with negative buzz; unless they put out a killer single and the public got behind it, it was always gonna be "Blah blah where's Slash blah blah I'm a whiny little bitch."

Better was an ideal single - short, punchy, killer hook, sounds very different to the old band while still retaining that bluesy feel with the outro solo, some great changes of direction and solos from both the lead guitarists.

They should've put Better out first, then hit the public with TWAT - a grandiose follow-up to November Rain, with the big outro solo that proves Axl didn't need Slash. In my head, I picture a video in which Buckethead emerges from a chicken coop on top of the same fucking cliff as in the November Rain video, plays that solo and is beamed up to his home planet. Ah, if only they'd released THAT in '02.

Once the band's demonstrated that it can do hard rock and an epic ballad that can outdo November Rain, it's time to bring out the crossover single - If The World.

Fuck, a trained monkey could've made this thing a hit. The one thing they SHOULDN'T have done is put Chinese Democracy out as the first single.

YEP.

I really believe the album could've been huge if promoted right. The real question in my mind is "Who's to blame for the bad promotion?"

My friend at Uni seems to believe that it's all Axl's fault.

While I wouldn't put the entire blame on Axl a large part of the blame lies on his shoulders.  The long never ending wait, the false starts, lack of interviews, promotion, lack of video and many other things.  But I also blame UNI on this.  While I understand their stance that CD had already cost them enough, it is their fault that they gave that much money to Axl to record that album.  In my opinion CD is the biggest "clusterfuck" to quote James in the history of music.  Even though it took less time I consider CD to be a bigger mess than Brian Wilson's smile.  No record could've succeeded under those circumstances.  Axl would've come up with another AFD and it would've failed.  That's how big a mess this album is.

Sky Dog wrote:

Smile was never a mess. Wilson didn't fuck around in the studio for fifteen years. The Smile sessions totaled less than 2 years.

Board footer