You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Re: Dj Ashba and Dizzy Reed: "We're working on a new album"

Stepvhen wrote:

If the song Chines Democracy had been named Better and Better had been named something else like, maybe the  "Eulogy of a broken heart" that was floating around, then Axl could have come back Strong with a song that had a mythical powerful title sure to grab attention and at the same time was absolutely perfect for both rock n roll and mainstream airplay. But it don't really matter now

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

First single could have been a cover of Tutti Frutti and it wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

There's nothing wrong with the title track and it seems to unfairly be the scapegoat for the album's fate.

I think it has more to do with the first single should have been an epic event, like TWAT with a huge video. That just wasn't going to happen.

And fwiw, I really don't see Better ever being a big single no matter when it was released.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

I think that a total lack of Slash killed the albums chance of success.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

the songs just arent what joe public want.. only us nutswingers, not much else to discuss.  It had its chance, it got airtime but no one gave a shit about it.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Some promo definitely would have helped, but it all comes down to this.

mickronson wrote:

the songs just arent what joe public want.. only us nutswingers, not much else to discuss.  It had its chance, it got airtime but no one gave a shit about it.

Anybody that thinks there's an "All Summer Long" type song on Chinese Democracy is delusional.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Ive never understood people's appeal to Better.. the intro is horrible, it gets repetitive... it has some great guitar playing but i just never saw it as a big time single.

I think If The World was the most commercial song on there.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Gong wrote:

I think that a total lack of Slash killed the albums chance of success.

Not even close.

Actually he's right depending on how you're looking at it.  An album with Axl and Slash would have far outdone CD even if the music was somehow worse.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
-D- wrote:

Ive never understood people's appeal to Better.. the intro is horrible, it gets repetitive... it has some great guitar playing but i just never saw it as a big time single.

I think If The World was the most commercial song on there.

I think the great part about better is the verses. The vocal melody in the verses is really interesting,  and it's also one of the moments where Axl sounds like classic Axl on the record, so it could be a good introduction to people that way. Meanwhile the chorus is hooky enough that you can sing along in the car with it, and then fink brings it home at the end with that bluesy solo while axl changes up the melody for the last verse in the tradition of songs like rocketqueen.

So i guess to me it was because it's got all the elements of new GNR, but packaged in a way that's enough like old GNR that you arn't going like "WTF" too badly if you arn't aware of the changes. Unlike a song liek Shackler's - which while awesome - is just not something you'd get out of the old band. Although the middle of better is where it gets hard to stomach for classic fans I think - the masturbating robots and the sudden change....i've grown to love them...but i think it's the first 2 verses that are really radio friendly.

Agree about if the world. Axl wrote it as a sort of parody of a bond track didn't he, but I think it's quite sucessful at what it does, i could have seen that getting the kind of airplay Chris Cornel's "you know my name" bond track got over here which was reasonable.

Board footer