You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: I have to be honest with you...

DCK wrote:

What monkey said a bit higher up is very reflective and rational. Karma for you, sir.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Drunk. Listening to the Blues. I love you all. I'd pound copious amounts of drugs and booze with you. That is all. GOOD DAY SIR!

Sky Dog wrote:

that was a classic!

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Speaking of booze. I downed an X amount of different sorts of ales last thursday in England. Can't remember the names of half of them, think we tried like 8. Had stayed up all night taking a flight down and decided to just keep going instead of taking a noon nap. Getting seperated from the rest of the group, me and my bro strolled into Sainsbury Arms (or did we?) in Cambridge and started to taste all of it. Left to right. I remember the third from the left was a real corker.

My stumach was so full of ale I felt I had eaten a three course meal. Needless to say, it felt a bit fishy as well. Not enough to NOT eat their Steak and Bombardier Ale Pie two hours later though.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Funny that, I was listening to Sepultura's Roots the other night and found myself thinking how fluently Calavera and the boys had adopted the traditional Samba elements to their music. The new set of percussion brought up a whole new layer in the otherwise already-grounded groove rock of Chaos AD. These guys knew the basics of what they were doing, and weren't afraid to open the melting pot and amalgamate completely different elements to their established sound.

Try listening to the epic Ratamahatta and despite what you might think of the genre itself, you'll probably catch a page from Axl's book. In principle, Sepultura is pulling as a unit towards a direction Axl wanted to pull with the Slash-era Guns. The basics of what makes a vintage Guns/Sepultura/whatever track, a drastic departure, a cultural blender, a potpourri served with a wall of sound.

What makes Roots a more coherent album than CD (the only reasonable comparison) is the fact that CD is three albums on top of their each other, whereas Roots is just, well, Roots. Sepultura goes tribal, , claiming their basic confidence in the underlying rhythm tracks to go off the handle with the bells and whistles. The resulting album was a breath of air even fresher than the preceding Chaos AD.

Useless speculation: In a way, Axl might've been right at that point in time to call in a change. Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden and Nirvana had come and gone in a matter of years, blowing the dust of hardened hairspray off the DJ booths in one decisive whirl. Guns would've done well to just say, 'Fuck it', and do an amazingly ambitious album, betraying their Sunset Strip roots and influences.

Going Queen? Why not - Queen Industrial. Downtune the guitars a bit and play sacrilege on those Slash blues notes by running through some FX before committing them to the mix. Guns would've remained valid, interesting and stable, even if the album would've been derided by critics both then and now.

But once you get all those years back on one album, it's not as fun as it might sound. Trick is, it's still just one CD. Whoever saw the production of that album as a monument to the dying medium remains to get a kick out of the abbreviation, tho, so it's not a total loss.

Board footer