You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Gnr ranked 17th in top 25 tours mid year (billboard)

Neemo wrote:
Dadud
 Rep: 14 

Dadud wrote:

what the fuck, vanilla ice is nu metal?

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Dadud wrote:

what the fuck, vanilla ice is nu metal?

He recorded a metal album in the mid or late 90's.  In 98 I think called Hard to swallow.  It's not a horrible album but nothing memorable in it either.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Bullshit.

What grunge songs have synths? You're basing that on an opening riff that sounds more like TOOL than Nirvana. Scraped and Shacklers are nu metal? Do you even know what the fuck nu metal sounds like? Scraped is about as funky and metal as it gets.

... industrial guitars? I'm sorry, but you're grasping for straws. The Blues, CITR, TWAT, IRS, PROSTITUTE, TIL, If The World, are industrial guitar based?

The guys in the band brought their own styles to the music and I don't see Bucket and Finck ripping off nu metal when they were around (and in the band writing) before there was such a thing called Nu Metal.

You apparently haven't heard the mogg's. Isolate the guitar tracks. Even the ballads are the industrial sound.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

What does that even mean? Industrial guitars. I've never heard of such a thing... Industrial bands that use guitars are played in a traditional rock/punk/hardcore style; distortion, reverb and the use of pedals... they're just rock guitarists. Was Hendrix an "industrial guitarist?" They use the same techniques guitarists have been using since the 60's.

If anyone brought an industrial sound to the band it was Mother Goose big_smile

*edit*

I do understand when you say industrial guitar "sound", but the music Finck and Bucket put on CD were a lot more than that, and that label doesn't fit it at all, imo. They weren't playing to a synth, the synths highlighted the guitar work. There are way too many fantastic guitar moments on CD to trivialize it as "industrial sound." 

And CD was a mesh of all different styles and genre's, just like the old music was. The guys brought what they had and Axl ran with it. He wasn't "chasing" any trend, he transcended them on CD, imo.

Calling CD grunge, nu metal and industrial in the same breath is hysterical, though.

They're saying Rage Against The Machine is Nu Metal?... Uh... 18

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

The CD opening riff that Robin plays sounds like something from NIN, so yeah, I could see how it could be tagged as industrial sounding.

I think the sound people are hearing, is that there isn't much warmth to the distorted guitar tones on the album, mainly the riffing, and they sound a bit sterile and processed, which is just Robin's kinda style (not a dig at him).

Even the riffing in Better when the verse lyrics kick in, has a bit of that sterile computerized guitar sound going on. Same with Shacklers, especially the chugging riff in the verse.

It's not apparent throughout CD, but on the songs I mentioned above, maybe that's what people are associating with the "industrial" thing.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Hendrix riffs are NOTHING like industrial guitars.

The guy I think of who sort of created that sound was Brian May. Or at least popularized it.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

GNR being 17th isn't good. we as fans can spin shit to sound great but this is GNR. one of the greatest bands of all time and they can't sell out a fucking show? or even get a US tour? that isn't good.

It's not GN'R though. And considering all the bullshit Axl has put his own fanbase through over the years, the fact that this shell of a band is even able to squeeze $22m out of the remaining nutswingers is pretty remarkable. 16

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

GNR being 17th isn't good. we as fans can spin shit to sound great but this is GNR. one of the greatest bands of all time and they can't sell out a fucking show? or even get a US tour? that isn't good.

It's not GN'R though. And considering all the bullshit Axl has put his own fanbase through over the years, the fact that this shell of a band is even able to squeeze $22m out of the remaining nutswingers is pretty remarkable. 16

Yeah, Steven Adler was on The Stern Show yesterday and on "The Wrap Up Show" they debated the prospects of a Guns N' Roses reunion.  They basically said they'd love to see it but it'd probably be a disappointment.  But the thing that got me was they basically talked about it as if Guns N' Roses wasn't an active band.  There was no mention that Axl is out performing with the band and about to play a show in the US in a few weeks.  Back in 2002 at least people would bring them up, even if it was just to make fun of them.  Now, they don't even bother.

Maybe it would be different if they were doing a full scale tour in the US. Most Americans don't really concern themselves with bands touring overseas, since it doesn't really concern them.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Because it's true.

Guns N' Roses has not toured since 1993.

Just a fact of life. From day one, the only people who cared were Axl Rose fans. That's it. I haven't met one person in ten years that has EVER supported this as Guns N' Roses besides myself. Hell, even in 2006 people were sitting at the shows going "it's cool, but it's not Guns N' Roses". Even the people who had fun.

When that sort of thing happens, people just erase those things from their memories.

When Michael Jackson died, everyone remembered Jackson 5, Off The Wall, Thriller & Bad & Dangerous... not HIStory, Blood On The Dance Floor & Invincible and his Joe Jackson-era solo albums.

Board footer