You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Gnr ranked 17th in top 25 tours mid year (billboard)

faldor wrote:

I think in some cases though it's more of a not knowing Guns N' Roses is active more than not accepting this band as Guns N' Roses.  I think it's to that point now because they've avoided the US and have toured overseas for some time.  There's really no reason for casual US rock fans to give GNR a second thought at this point.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Dude, anyone who could've or might've cared, knew after the VMA performance in 2002. It was EVERYWHERE the day after.

And the almost unanimous reaction was "what the fuck? Where's Guns N' Roses?" Even Axl didn't look or sound like Axl.

If they possibly had a chance, it was buried with that performance.

And even with that free press, arenas were only half-full, short of NYC. I think it's pretty self-explanatory. Half GN'R fans were Axl guys, and the other half were Slash guys. Even VR had modest success. Axl + Slash = GN'R. America has spoken.

A tour in the U.S. right now, with tons of press, and a new album in stores by 2009-10 Guns would result in even worse attendence numbers than 2006.

Well how do you know this Axlin08... just trust me. I've seen patterns, and I know a trail when i've caught it.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

That performance was as make or break as anything they've ever done, and they blew it. That was way before i got into OLD guns, and I thought they were ridiculous. The reaction was unanimously  "wtf?"

And Madagascar of all pieces, to go in that medley? He couldn't be bothered to actually catch his breath or take singing lessons? Come on.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
emcitymisfit wrote:

That performance was as make or break as anything they've ever done, and they blew it. That was way before i got into OLD guns, and I thought they were ridiculous. The reaction was unanimously  "wtf?"

And Madagascar of all pieces, to go in that medley? He couldn't be bothered to actually catch his breath or take singing lessons? Come on.

Besides the helium voice and struggled breathing, the main WTF aspect was how he looked. Huge WTF. And it didn't help that the rest of the band looked like freaks too. 16

faldor

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Dude, anyone who could've or might've cared, knew after the VMA performance in 2002. It was EVERYWHERE the day after.

And the almost unanimous reaction was "what the fuck? Where's Guns N' Roses?" Even Axl didn't look or sound like Axl.

If they possibly had a chance, it was buried with that performance.

And even with that free press, arenas were only half-full, short of NYC. I think it's pretty self-explanatory. Half GN'R fans were Axl guys, and the other half were Slash guys. Even VR had modest success. Axl + Slash = GN'R. America has spoken.

A tour in the U.S. right now, with tons of press, and a new album in stores by 2009-10 Guns would result in even worse attendence numbers than 2006.

Well how do you know this Axlin08... just trust me. I've seen patterns, and I know a trail when i've caught it.

I'm not arguing that.  I agree with you.  I'm simply saying people don't give any thought to Guns N' Roses, for the most part.  MAYBE if they played some shows in the US people would at least get back to the "that's not really Guns N' Roses" talk.

However, I disagree that the 2002 VMA's was "make or break".  Granted it didn't go over too well, but that's not what "broke" the band.  There are a multitude of events that combined to help detour this band.  You can't pinpoint one performance.  IF that 2002 tour went off without a hitch, was successful, the album was released shortly after, Bucket never left, the band didn't go into silent mode for years on end.  THEN things may have been different.  But to point to JUST the 2002 VMA's is a little off in my book.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, I don't know if the VMA's were make or break, but it certaintly started a plummet in interest.

Right away the album should've been dropped, and a couple singles & videos prepped for release to shove down the public's throats in order to keep the momentum going and also to rebound bad PR.

Instead Axl just did what he always does. Nothing.

And if he hasn't learned this after 50 years of living... ignoring life and events, just makes things worse. Not better. Time only heals wounds if you live long enough to make it right. The longer he goes without a reunion the worse he makes it on HIMSELF.

The rest of the world has gone on living their lives, ironically. Axl's the only one hanging on the failed dreams. A dream that he might actually make Guns N' Roses something without Guns N' Roses.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Yeah, as badly as the VMA's may have gone, they could've easily rebounded and kept the momentum going.  I hadn't really been following GNR much at all back then and I missed the performance live.  I was flicking back and forth and I heard Jimmy Fallon say they had a surprise performance to close the show and I figured it'd be Puff Daddy or something lame, so I went to bed.  Stupid me.

Anyway, my interest increased a million percent because of that one performance.  Then the tour was announced and I didn't even have to ask my friends if they wanted to go, THEY made the call.  So obviously their interest was piqued as well.  Everything was set up for them, but like you said, they didn't follow through.  Honestly things were set up nicely for them with the release of Chinese Democracy too, but they didn't follow through.  I know Axl has his side and says things were mismanaged but there does seem to be a common theme.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Just went over to HTGTH after not visiting there in probably 2-3 years. Hilarious, absolutely hilarious. They're even more detached from reality than they were a few years ago, which is pretty incredible.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Ironically so did mine. I had heard about the Rio III show, and I knew there was a new band, but I didn't follow them all that much, except for the occasional RS story about CD.

The VMA performance started my fanboy, daily dedicated following. Before that it was just still trying to convince the world the Use Your Illusion albums were the best thing in the 90's.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Just went over to HTGTH after not visiting there in probably 2-3 years. Hilarious, absolutely hilarious. They're even more detached from reality than they were a few years ago, which is pretty incredible.

Yeah, sadly it's gotten ten times worse. Even Axl probably weeps reading that site.

Those cats over there seriously need to find something to do with their time. Go back to school, get a girlfriend, join the peace corps, pick up a drug habit - SOMETHING.

Jeezus

Board footer